[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Corey Simon on the trading block

justin

Ravens exploring trade for Eagles’ Simon

Def. tackle among NFL’s top interior pass rushers

By Brent Jones

Sun Staff

Originally published April 4, 2005, 9:45 PM EDT

The Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles have discussed the possibility of a trade involving Eagles defensive tackle Corey Simon, but the proposed deal that stands to benefit both organizations is far from a sure thing, a league source said.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome would not verify his team is considering acquiring one of the league's best interior pass rushers in Simon, but did say he has recently discussed making a trade with a number of teams.

"I'm always looking to upgrade the quality of our football team," Newsome said. "I have trade discussions with teams daily."

If the Ravens upgrade by getting one of the Eagles' best defensive players, the team would field a stout front four, teaming Simon, a Pro Bowl player in 2003, along with Kelly Gregg at the tackles, plus Tony Weaver and Terrell Suggs, who made the Pro Bowl last year, at the ends.

Newsome would not discuss what the Ravens would give up in the trade, but a league source close to the Eagles verified Philadelphia wants either a second-round pick this year and a third-round pick in 2006, or a third-round pick this year and a second-round pick in 2005.

Agreeing to a new deal with Simon figures to be the biggest road block.

"We will not make a trade with a player with one year left on his contract," Newsome said.

Trading Simon, 28, would give the Eagles three selections in either the second or third round, plus three other first-day choices, as well as alleviate a logjam the team has at tackle. The Eagles want to give more playing time to third-year player Sam Rayburn, and they still have veterans Hollis Thomas, Paul Grasmanis and Darwin Walker in the rotation.

Eagles officials are not commenting publicly on the trade and Simon's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, did not return phone calls.

Simon finished last season with 32 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks, third on the Eagles. The Eagles designated him their franchise player in February after failing to reach agreement on a long-term contract, and he is scheduled to make $5.13 million this season. The sixth-overall pick in the 2000 draft, Simon, 6 feet 2, 293 pounds, has 37 1/2 career sacks, second in Eagles history for a tackle.

Signing Simon would probably mean giving him a bonus anywhere from $7 to $10 million. The Ravens have already handed out a combined $17 million worth of bonus money to acquire receiver Derrick Mason and Samari Rolle this offseason.

The Ravens also have to work on extensions for running back Jamal Lewis and tight end Todd Heap, both of whom have contracts expiring at the end of the season.

Published in the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...ack=1&cset=true

Wow. I assumed we'd address that in the draft as, in my opinion, it is our lone weak spot (I'm forgetting Boller, he never had a WR).

Looks to me like the Ravens are REALLY spending a lot. Hopefully this doesn't mean problems with the cap down the road. I'd almost like to see us resign Heap asap and work on Jamal Lewis in the off season.

Now it appears talks with Simon have broken off.

From http://www.baltimoresun.com

Source: Trade for Eagles' Simon unlikely

Ravens, agent far apart on possible contract terms

By Brent Jones

Sun Staff

Originally published April 5, 2005

The Ravens and Eagles have discussed the possibility of a trade involving Philadelphia defensive tackle Corey Simon, but the proposed deal that would stand to benefit both organizations is all but dead, according to a league source.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome would not verify that his team was considering acquiring Simon, one of the league's best interior pass rushers, but did say he recently has discussed making a trade with a number of teams.

"I'm always looking to upgrade the quality of our football team," Newsome said. "I have trade discussions with teams daily."

The talks were more with Simon's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, than with the Eagles, and broke off last night with the two sides millions of dollars apart on a potential new contract, according to a source. Barring a major concession by one side, Simon is unlikely to be a Raven next season.

Newsome would not discuss what the Ravens would have given up in the trade, but another league source close to the Eagles confirmed that Philadelphia wanted a second-round pick this year and a third-round pick in 2006, or a third-round pick this year and a second-round pick in 2006.

That would be a hefty price for a player who is not under a multiyear deal.

"We will not make a trade with a player with one year left on his contract," Newsome said.

Trading Simon, 28, would give the Eagles three selections in the second or third rounds, plus three other first-day choices, as well as alleviate the team's logjam at tackle. The Eagles want to give more playing time to third-year player Sam Rayburn, and they still have veterans Hollis Thomas, Paul Grasmanis and Darwin Walker in the rotation.

Eagles officials did not comment on the possible trade, and Barnes did not return phone calls.

Simon had 32 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks last season, third on the Eagles. The club designated him as its franchise player in February to keep him off the free-agent market after failing to reach a long-term contract, and he is scheduled to make $5.13 million this season.

The sixth overall pick in the 2000 draft, Simon (6 feet 2, 293 pounds) has 37 1/2 career sacks, second in Eagles history for a tackle.

"Hopefully I'll end up back in Philly with a long-term deal," Simon told WCAU-TV in Philadelphia.

Signing Simon probably would mean giving him a bonus between $7 million and $10 million. The Ravens have handed out a combined $17 million in bonus money to acquire receiver Derrick Mason and cornerback Samari Rolle this offseason.

The Ravens also have to work on extensions for running back Jamal Lewis and tight end Todd Heap, whose contracts will expire at the end of the 2005 season.

NOTES: The Ravens have inquired about free-agent linebacker Jamie Sharper, according to his agent. Sharper played five years with the Ravens and three with the Houston Texans before becoming a cap casualty last week. He will visit the Seattle Seahawks and hopes to have a contract by the end of the week. A reunion with the Ravens appears unlikely. ... Former Ravens defensive end Marques Douglas will visit with the San Francisco 49ers later this week. Douglas, who is not expected to re-sign with the Ravens, also has met with the Cleveland Browns.

This trade makes no sense from the Ealges point. They already have a boat load of draft picks. So why trade your best DL for more picks, when DL is a soft on your DEF.

I could see the Eagles trading Hollis Thomas, because he wants out. He would be a lot more CAP friendly for the Ravens.

I agree this makes no sense at all. Simon anchors that line and well they were making huge strides with Trotter, whom the Vikes should have signed a year ago, that could project them high in the playoff's again.

What Corey Simon have you been watching? Granted he is a solid player but he is by no stretch a pro-bowl caliber player. How bad has the run D been for the last few years? And who was the only constant in those years on the D-Line? Yup, Corey Simon. I think Simon is a slightly above-average player, but he seems to want to get paid a lot more then he is worth. Would you pay him upwards of $10 million in signing bonus?

What Corey Simon have you been watching?  Granted he is a solid player but he is by no stretch a pro-bowl caliber player.  How bad has the run D been for the last few years?  And who was the only constant in those years on the D-Line?  Yup, Corey Simon.  I think Simon is a slightly above-average player,  but he seems to want to get paid a lot more then he is worth.  Would you pay him upwards of $10 million in signing bonus?

765849[/snapback]

I am a huge Eagles fan and I agree with you. I'd take the draft picks.