[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Mockdraft

timmyk93

NFL Round #1 Mock Draft

April 5, 2005

1. San Francisco 49ers: Aaron Rodgers, QB California – Mike Nolan blew the obligatory smoke with his #1 pick, but Rodgers has gotta be their guy. We’ll never forget Rodgers hitting 23 straight completions against USC’s #1 defense. Since Tim Rattay leads the All-Injury team with Lee Suggs, Charles Rogers and Stephen Alexander, the 49ers need a franchise QB right now. Besides, free agent RB Anthony Thomas is still available to push Kevan Barlow -- and for much less money than Ronnie Brown.

2. Miami Dolphins: Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn – Nick Saban is starving for extra draft picks but he can’t pass on Ronnie Brown. This was the 31st ranked rushing attack in the league, and besides Fred Taylor, can you name any 233-lb backs that run consistent 4.4’s? Saban can take comfort in the fact that he has no choice here.

3. Cleveland Browns: Derrick Johnson, LB Texas – Johnson’s the best linebacker in the draft and he stays on the field for every down-and-distance situation. He’ll be Romeo Crennel’s first draft pick as the Browns head coach. What about Alex Smith? Isn’t Trent Dilfer the starter right now? Cleveland could still catch Akron QB (and local boy) Charlie Frye in the 2nd round.

4. Chicago Bears: Braylon Edwards, WR Michigan – Bears WR coach Darryl Drake let the cat out of the bag on the radio last month. We’d be completely shocked if they passed on Edwards. The gifts keep coming for Rex Grossman – first Muhsin Muhammad, then the best overall college wideout.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Carnell Williams, RB Auburn – Jon Gruden spent a lot of time with “Cadillac” while coaching him at Senior Bowl week so this pick was made months ago. Michael Pittman will help Williams in the weight room and tutor him in Gruden’s passing game. Fantasy GMs need to be patient with this kid.

6. Washington Redskins* (trade up from #9): Mike Williams, WR USC – Washington gives Tennessee their 3rd round pick plus WR Rod Gardner and a 2006 2nd rounder; just to move up three spots to take Williams. It smells like another fantasy pick for Daniel Snyder since Joe Gibbs needs a defensive end or a corner. But look at this nice group of playmakers: Mike Williams, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, David Patten, Taylor Jacobs and Chris Cooley. Now if they just had a quarterback…

7. Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland): Cedric Benson, RB Texas – Michael Bennett is brittle and Onterrio Smith is a flake. Forget Benson’s 4.6’s in the 40-yard dash – Kevin Jones “disappointed” with 4.6’s last year and he was the best back in the NFC over the last six weeks of the season. Cedric Benson runs “big” and embodies the new physical presence Minnesota is developing this offseason.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Shawne Merriman, DE/LB Maryland – The unpredictable Vikings actually turned in their pick on time and stole Benson. Dennis Green curses his old team under his breath – but doesn’t panic. This Merriman guy, who was instantly productive as a freshman, is the best athlete in the draft. Arizona takes him then swings the Travis Henry deal with Buffalo (for tackle L.J. Shelton & swapped 2nd rounders) and everybody’s happy.

9. Tennessee Titans* (trade down from #6): Marcus Spears, DE LSU – Premier pass rushers are Jeff Fisher’s favorite toys, and losing Kevin Carter (to Miami) just clinched this pick. Spears is a Jevon Kearse-type who motors for 60 minutes, but he’s much bigger and meaner. Thanks to the Redskins and two compensatory picks, Fisher has three 3rd rounders & two 4th rounders to help fix his cap-blasted team. WR Rod Gardner helps fill the void left by Derrick Mason, though you know OC Norm Chow pleaded for USC WR Mike Williams.

10. Detroit Lions: Alex Barron, OT Florida State – Losing RT Stockar McDougle to Miami stings a little, but Alex Barron is the salve for that wound. “Our offensive line, if we can improve it, I think we improve it,” said GM Matt Millen on March 24th. Barron has the longest arms in the draft. Push Kevin Jones up a couple more spots on your RB rankings.

11. Dallas Cowboys: CB Antrell Rolle, CB Miami – When a 33-year old Keyshawn Johnson is your best wideout, it’s no secret what you need. But they also have Buffalo’s first-rounder coming down the pike. Rolle once made WR Larry Fitzgerald look bad in 2003. This summer he’ll make fellow teammate, CB Terence Newman, look bad enough to be demoted to nickel duty.

12. San Diego (from NYG): Dan Cody, DE Oklahoma – There are medical issues here (clinical depression, blackouts) but Cody is still the 2nd rated pass rusher on many boards. He collected 18 sacks and 42 tackles for a loss over the last two years. Listed at 6’5”/255 lbs, Cody can also play stand-up outside linebacker. Don’t boo this pick, Chargers fans. You’ll be facing a lot of high-octane offense in the AFC West.

13. Jacksonville Jaguars* (trade up from #21): “Pac-Man” Jones, CB West Virginia – Rumors of a dirty urine sample (read: Warren Sapp) nudge Jones out of the top-10. The Jags offer an extra 2nd & 4th rounder to Houston GM Charlie Casserly. Done. Remember, Del Rio tossed away a couple picks to take RB Greg Jones last year. “Pac-Man” has once-in-a-decade talent that will be vital against the enemy Colts receivers: Blinky, Pinky & Clyde.

14. Carolina Panthers: Demarcus Ware, DE/LB Troy St. – The Panthers shop Alex Smith but remarkably, no one takes the bait. Carolina has other needs. Ware is a 6’4”/256-lb specimen who ran a 4.56 and did 27 reps of 225 lbs, more than most 300-lb linemen. He might be miscast in a 4-3 base defense but they’ll figure something out.

15. Kansas City Chiefs: Alex Smith, QB Utah – The New York Post reported that Smith’s Pro Day workout was rigged to his strengths, working exclusively out of the shotgun. Falling this far down cost millions but the Smith family can exhale now. Kansas City is a great place for him because Trent Green is not getting any younger. Luxury pick? Perhaps, but so was RB Larry Johnson and he paid off big-time last year.

16. New Orleans Saints: Heath Miller, TE Virginia – His offseason hernia surgery was a little spooky, but then again, so are the Saints. Miller was Virginia’s leading receiver with 835 yards and he’s got the obligatory Gonzalez comparisons, too. Passing on OT Jammal Brown will cause riots in the French Quarter.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn – Marvin Lewis passes on DT Travis Johnson because of past off-field troubles (acquitted of sexual assault charges) and takes Rogers, a four-year starting corner in the tough SEC. Now Cincinnati can use CB Deltha O’Neal at nickel where he belongs.

18. Minnesota Vikings: Travis Johnson, DT Florida State – Minnesota hears the screams for a receiver. They also listen to a few offers to trade down for extra picks. But adding Travis Johnson is too tempting. Look who’s in this rotation: 2003 1st-rounder (Pro Bowler) DT Kevin Williams, 2004 1st-rounder DE Kenechi Udeze, DE Lance Johnstone (11 sacks last year) and free-agent DT Pat Williams from Buffalo.

19. St. Louis Rams: Khalif Barnes, OT Washington – Kyle Turley has major back problems and two other linemen, Adam Timmerman and Grant Williams, had multiple surgeries in the offseason. But Mike Martz passes on higher-rated OTs Jammal Brown (Oklahoma) and Adam Terry (Syracuse) so he’ll be grilled for weeks.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo): Troy Williamson, WR South Carolina – They got CB Antrell Rolle at #11 and the fastest receiver in the draft at #20. And they also have the 10th pick of the 2nd round. Superb. Bill Parcells always shines on draft day.

21. Houston Texans* (trade down from #13): Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin – GM Charlie Casserly moves down eight spots, collects the Jaguars’ 2nd and 4th round picks, and still lands man-child Erasmus James. He’s had injury problems but then again, so has Texans DE Gary Walker, who’s in his 11th year.

22. Baltimore Ravens: David Pollack, DE/LB Georgia – Replacing soon-to-depart free agent DE Marques Douglas makes sense. We heard Pollack had some technical issues on film but that’s nitpicking. Pollack was a dominant college player with an unparalleled work ethic. A warning to Kyle Boller: Don’t choke on your nachos if they pick QB Jason Campbell here.

23. Atlanta Falcons* (trade up from #27): Jammal Brown, OT Oklahoma – GM Rich McKay moves up four spots by giving Seattle their 2nd round pick (#59 overall) and an extra 5th rounder Atlanta got from Denver last year. It’s a good move because Michael Vick was sacked 50 times last season. The cool part is, Atlanta wouldn’t have the money to pay Brown in the top-12 where he should have gone.

24. Green Bay Packers: Brodney Pool, S Oklahoma – Green Bay tried trading up (they moved up to get Javon Walker three years ago) to Minnesota’s spot at #18 but division rivals never dance together. Pool replaces safety Darren Sharper, who left for – you guessed it, Minnesota. They should have considered Virginia OG Elton Brown here.

25. Denver Broncos: Marlin Jackson, CB Michigan – Depth at corner is an issue for Mike Shanahan especially since Randy Moss entered the AFC West. Jackson starts right away and fifth-year CB Willie Middlebrooks moves to nickel. Trading up for Carlos Rogers might have been nice but no one’s complaining. Denver leaves their 2nd rounder in place and still has two compensatory picks in the 3rd round.

26. New York Jets: Thomas Davis, S/LB Georgia – Davis is a huge safety (230 lbs) cut from the Roy Williams mold. Some analysts will say LSU CB Corey Webster or Wisconsin DT Anttaj Hawthorne were better picks. The problem is that the Jets have multiple needs. Maybe they could swap down seven spots with San Francisco, who would love to jump off the 33rd overall pick and land here. However, the 49ers have their own holes to fill.

27. Seattle Seahawks* (trade down from #23): Shaun Cody, DT USC – Seattle missed out on DE Erasmus James so they accept Atlanta’s 2nd & 5th rounders and calmly move back in line just four spots. DC Ray Rhodes reportedly took a liking to Cody at USC’s Pro Day. He played inside or on the edge while helping USC lead the nation in rush defense. Seattle lost DE Chike Okeafor to Arizona so this move is both lucky and timely.

28. San Diego Chargers: Mark Clayton, WR Oklahoma – Clayton is too polished to fall past Baltimore or Seattle, but something tells us he will. Scouts compare him to Isaac Bruce for his sinister quickness, but he also has the same smallish frame, too. San Diego makes out nicely with that extra 1st rounder from the Giants for Eli Manning.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Channing Crowder, LB Florida – Sort of a ho-hum pick, right? Not to Tony Dungy, who hoped Crowder would fall this far. He’s only a sophomore in terms of eligibility but the NFL let him in because he’s been out of high school for three years after delaying enrollment to rehab a knee injury.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Justin Tuck, DE/LB Notre Dame – Not a bad consolation prize. The Steelers play the 3-4, which fits the 6’5”/265-lb Tuck perfectly. They consider Georgia WR Reggie Brown (Hines Ward went to Georgia) or Hampton WR Jerome Mathis with this pick but it’s just too early...or is it?

31. Philadelphia Eagles: Roddy White, WR UAB – Mel Kiper had quietly moved this small college phenom all the way up to #14 on his Big Board. Roddy lists at 6’1”/205 lbs and he clocked a juicy 4.42 at the Combine. He also led the nation with 1,452 receiving yards. Andy Reid finally owns up to the fact that Todd Pinkston wouldn’t be starting for 15-20 other NFL teams.

32. New England Patriots: Fabian Washington, CB Nebraska – Desperate for help at corner, the Pats take a flyer on Fabian after he scorched the Combine turf with a jaw-dropping 4.25. However, he’s so skinny you could fax him to the stadium.

Marvin Lewis has said publicly that (especially) QB but also CB are the only two positions they aren't really looking at for the first round.

They are much more likely to take a WR or D-lineman IMO. There are plenty of both in this mock at their pick. They'd like a burning WR opposite CJ or an improved pass rush most. I think they believe they have the young guys to fill in at DT.

I'd rather have Dan Cody than Rolle.  I like Rolle a lot I just don't see why we need to use the #11 for a CB.  Thanks for posting though.

766300[/snapback]

cody to the vikes :D

I'll be pretty pissed if the Vikes don't take a WR at one of their two first round picks.

766413[/snapback]

Ill be very happy if they don't draft a receiver in the first round.. it would be a waste of a pick

Burleson is a great WR2. Robinson, Taylor, and Campbell are not WR1 material.

766466[/snapback]

Well nobody at 18 will be either and if we draft a wr at 7( we dont need a meshawn , and it looks as if the others will be gone) it will be 3-4 years before they are any good.... Randy is gone and good riddance to him.... Run the F'n ball :D

NFL Round #1 Mock Draft

April 5, 2005

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Carnell Williams, RB Auburn – Jon Gruden spent a lot of time with “Cadillac” while coaching him at Senior Bowl week so this pick was made months ago. Michael Pittman will help Williams in the weight room and tutor him in Gruden’s passing game. Fantasy GMs need to be patient with this kid.

765895[/snapback]

For crying out loud Gruden had to coach Caddy in the Senior Bowl, he had no choice. Just because Caddy was the best prospect on that team and the Bucs need a RB doesn't mean he is the pick. Pittman will be the starter next year because he had a pretty decent year except for some fumbles. Look for Mike Williams to be the pick here.

If Kansas City picks qb Alex Smith, a long term project in my opinion, the entire Chiefs nation will rise as one and immediately demand the scalp of Carl Peterson.

And they'd be right, too!

I feel that Smith should drop into the second round. There, he would be a good value pick. But the first round? A reach.

I just can't figur out which way Denver goes in the first round of draft. The more I look at their team the more I think they need a safety, but every draft has a different position taken. One has CB, the next has O-line, the next has D-line, and some even have a TE. I'm lost...

I just can't figur out which way Denver goes in the first round of draft.  The more I look at their team the more I think they need a safety, but every draft has a different position taken.  One has CB, the next has O-line, the next has D-line, and some even have a TE.  I'm lost...

767157[/snapback]

I think the quality of D-line prospects will be better picking at number 25 than any other position. Maybe if Rogers falls to them, they take a CB. Tight end is no longer a need, with Putzier re-signing.

IMO, even though they picked up all those Browns players, they still need to draft D-line to add young depth, and to protect themselves from the (likely) prospect that Brown and Warren could/will be injured.

I would love to see Shawn Cody fall to them, but I think that's unlikely. The bad thing is that the first rounders are always a crapshoot with Shananigan.

I saw Kirwan on NFL Network last night. He was saying that something like 11 or 12 teams are either currently running or switching to the 3-4 defense this season. Because of this, he expects the 4-3 DEs to slide into the later first round this year. Could mean there will be some good talent at DE for teams that would usually miss out.

While KC taking Alex Smith in the first round may be a good long-term move, KC will be (effectively) saying, "we ain't gonna win diddly this year"...

...unless of course, KC figures out some way to trade for Surtain and/or sign Ty Law...

If, somehow, KC gets Surtain or Law, they could go this way. If they get Surtain AND Law, they will go for OL or QB (imo). If they get NEITHER Surtain or Law, AND they take Alex Smith in round 1, Peterson will be dead within 48 hours.

Edited by muck

I saw a mock somewhere (I thought here at the Huddle but can't find it now) that had GB taking Erasmus James at #24.  The possibility of KGB and James coming off the edge is intriguing.

767500[/snapback]

We HAVE to take a safety at #24. Aaron Kampman had a very good year last year -- especially against the run. If we wait until round 2 for a safety, we're taking a huge risk.

While KC taking Alex Smith in the first round may be a good long-term move, KC will be (effectively) saying, "we ain't gonna win diddly this year"...

...unless of course, KC figures out some way to trade for Surtain and/or sign Ty Law...

If, somehow, KC gets Surtain or Law, they could go this way.  If they get Surtain AND Law, they will go for OL or QB (imo).  If  they get NEITHER Surtain or Law, AND they take Alex Smith in round 1, Peterson will be dead within 48 hours.

767765[/snapback]

I agree with you, but I wouldn't worry about Alex Smith to KC. Here's what's happening: scouts are realizing that one of the top 2 QBs will freefall down the board on draft day, since teams will be very tempted to wait for Jason Campbell/Charlie Frye/Kyle Orton/Adrian McPherson. Because of that, all the mocks are just itching to plug in Alex Smith somewhere -- anywhere -- because, just two weeks ago, he was being talked about as #1 overall.

Realistically, the QB the 49ers don't take could end up falling at least to the Packers -- and maybe farther.