[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets Woes

Sportsfan26

I am very concerned about the Jets right now. I went into this off season thinking we just need a good CB.

Now have left the off season with gapping holes at OT, CB, TE and DT. I can see them filling one of the holes at the draft with a OT like K. Barnes, CB like F. Washington or the TE H. Miller.

What thoughts do others have to fill some of these spots.

Thanks

This thread has been about as active as the Jets have been. Pretty lame, and very disappointing. I think they may plan on shuffling the O line around some.... but at least they had some depth there. Josh Evans, who sat out most of last year due to injury, will most likely take Ferguson's DT position, with newly signed, career backup Lance Legree in the wings. Remember Bradway saying he wanted to get younger in the D backfield? Niether does he, apparently. Looks to me like at least one of these two, Donnie Abraham- Reggie Toungue will be starting again next year. Maybe both of them, if Heath Miller falls to the Jets in the first round to fill the TE position.

Asleep at the switch ... no, that would be too kind.... more like dead in the casket. Yes, they signed a couple of backups, but no starters. Pitiful, miserable stinkin do nothing off season for the Jets. Does that answer the question?

Well, Jack, right there is the problem. In free agency, the Jets have signed only backups. Jordan was gone, and every Jets fan knew it.... you cant pay a backup starter's money, and the Blaylock signing was a very good one, but it ends there. The Fiedler signing was ok, but still, a backup.

They lost the following starters:

TE. Becht, DT Ferguson, OL McKenzie.... no replacements

They have two VERY old starting DB's in Donnie Abraham and Reggie Toungue... they have not addressed ANY of these areas. Four BIG holes, no moves to fill them. At this point, I hope they trade DE Abraham... if it fills two holes. We have a good backup for Abraham in Bryan Thomas. But, Bradway has his thumb up his arse so far. The Jests have only very late picks in both the first and second rounds. If they get lucky, Heath Miller drops to them in the first. Josh Evans, if he stays healthy, big IF, can take Ferguson's spot at DT. And that's only if he doesnt come up positive again... if he does, he's gone for the year!

No, Jets fans have every reason to be whining. This is our worst off season in recent memory. Pitiful.

No disagreements here Rovers. I guess my point is that for all the reasons to complain - as you have spelt out - the last thing to complain about is a competant backup QB. It was a need and a need that was filled. Who was the guy looking for Favre? The issues you have sited though - all valid, complain away.

I thought this thread was long dead.

I agree the Jets got killed in the off season and didn't replace any lost starters.

I have always believed the game starts at the offensive line, so I hope that they select OT K. Barnes with pick number 26. I would with CB or TE with pick number two.

There may be a DT released in June who can start.

Thanks for the comments.

Sportsfan, there arent a lot of Jets fans on this board.... in the off season, anyway. Even during the season, we only have 4 or 5 of us.

Jack, complaining about Fiedler, who I think was a good signing, is ... I'll be nice... STOOOOOPID. Was that nice enough? If Pennington is not healthy, it really doesnt matter, unless it's a two week fill in. I have printed out a picture of Bradway. It's on my dart board. I will need to print more.... this one is in shreds..... :D

Hey guys help me out here... What do you see in Fiedler? Yeah, he's a tough guy but beyond that I don't see all your confidence and the big rub for me is the multi year contract.. give him the year for insurance but after that? Never the less it doesn't look to promising for DB's & OL... Scaaaarrrry

He's mobile, he smart and really tough. Does he make bad decisions sometimes, sure - but if he always made the right decision, he'd be starting on someone's team rather than being the Jets backup.

He has also been under Wanny and Turner- and has never really had much talent around him. Ricky had one good year, one uninspiring year and retired. Chambers and McMicheal are talented - but the lack of a running game, second wide and oline didn't exactly leave Fiedler in the position to set the world ablaze. Think Gadsten, McKnight and Lamar Smith.

Hey guys help me out here... What do you see in Fiedler? Yeah, he's a tough guy but beyond that I don't see all your confidence and the big rub for me is the multi year contract.. give him the year for insurance but after that? Never the less  it doesn't look to promising for DB's & OL... Scaaaarrrry

774074[/snapback]

Who's confident? You make it sound like Fiedler is the starting QB? He is a BACKUP. As a BACKUP, he's fine. If Pennington goes down, the Jets go down, whether the backup is Garcia, Dilfer, Warner or any other backup QB that was on the market. Sorry, Kurt, yer a backup. Kup, when you get in your car, yer DeVille, are ya thinkin about the spare? hiell no! Yer on the wrong page here. For Jets fans, who the back up QB is about tenth on the list of worries. Who is Manning's backup? C-Pep's? Trent Green's? Who cares? If any one of them go down wave good bye to the playoffs. While Pennington is not in thier strata, the same holds true.

The Jets need to worry about a lot of other posistions before they worry about who the back up QB is.....

In short.... it's something of a PR deal. Fiedler went to high school here. Grew up a Jet fan. Still lives on Long Island. Nuthin wrong with having a fire extinguisher manufactured by a local outfit. So, he may smell fishy.... but he's a local boy.

Sports fan, we do have Josh Evans to replace Ferguson. If he stays healthy, and doesnt test positive again, we don't actually lose much there. I ahve no clue what they will do about losing McKenzie.... he was a good run blocker, and an average pass blocker. Right now, I think they plan on doing some shuffling... we had some depth on the O line. That depth takes a hit if they dont get another O lineman.

I expect they will trade up if Heath Miller goes early, for one of the top CB's. They hate Donnie Abraham. If it goes that way, they go TE in round two, or try to sign Fredie Jones, but he isnt the dangerous recieving TE that Hiemerdinger, the new OC wants. Alex Smith, maybe?

Kup, this is a pretty good site for homer info.... I added my 2 cents to the Jets thread, in terms of the draft and team needs (as Irishjny). Naturally, there are some tool-time threads to discount, but most of these homers know what the deal is.

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/

One of my favorite sites, and it's free. You do have to register to post, no biggie.

Well, I just finished listening to a full hour of horse manure, which the Jets official site called the "Predraft Press Conference". In a nutshell:

We dont need to replace McKenzie. We have guys who can start there.

We have a replacement for Ferguson. It might be Josh Evans (who missed 15 games last year with a back injury, and one more drug test failure means a one year suspension) or Lance Legree, who wanst good enough to be a starter on a weak Giants' D line last year.

We're OK at safety.

We're OK at CB, but you can never have enough CB's.

We don't need to comment on J Abraham, we don't negotiate in the press.

When Herm Edwards was asked if he spoke to Ty Law, he said "Maybe."

There isnt a TE in the draft who could beat out Baker as our starter.

We will replace ORT McKenzie with our second and third string guys. They'll be fine.

:D

Edited by Rovers

What a bunch of nonsense.. That is the problem with Bradway, he thinks that he is playing everybody but in the end most of the time he gets played.. However there is some good news on the horizon Andre Dyson was at Hofstra today.. No word on what happened... Anyone know what's going on there.. That could be a solid pick-up..

That was, indeed, a glimmer of hope.... hopefully Bradway was full of it when he said in the predraft press conference that they wouldn't be making any signings until after the draft. Dyson would really solidify the D backfield. He'd be a safer bet than Law, who is 31 now.

Saying that there isnt a rook in the draft who could beat out Baker for the starting TE spot sure is another head scratcher, though. Best case scenario? They sign Dyson, and trade up to get Heath Miller. Bradway DID say if a guy that they want drops, they would consider trading up. Thank God for small favors. He also said they could trade down, as they have about 16 or so players that they think are "bona fide" first round picks. If one of those 16 are still there at 20, they would trade up to get him.

Well, I just finished listening to a full hour of horse manure, which the Jets official site called the "Predraft Press Conference". In a nutshell:

We dont need to replace McKenzie. We have guys who can start there.

We have a replacement for Ferguson. It might be Josh Evans (who missed 15 games last year with a back injury, and one more drug test failure means a one year suspension) or Lance Legree, who wanst good enough to be a starter on a weak Giants' D line last year.

We're OK at safety.

We're OK at CB, but you can never have enough CB's.

We don't need to comment on J Abraham, we don't negotiate in the press.

When Herm Edwards was asked if he spoke to Ty Law, he said "Maybe."

There isnt a TE in the draft who could beat out Baker as our starter.

We will replace ORT McKenzie with our second and third string guys. They'll be fine.

:D

782173[/snapback]

Wow -- maybe I need to become a Jets fan. It sounds like they're so good they don't even NEED to conduct a draft. :D

I believe one of the reasons they are talking to Dyson is because Donnie Abraham is considering retirement...although as pointed out above, the jets are not that high on Abraham right now anyway and might look to sign Dyson regardless. Dyson is a solid if not elite corner, and signing him would give us one less need area heading into the draft.

I've read in a couple places that heath Miller might very well fall to the Jets. Is the general consensus that they're going to have to trade up to get him?

Also, what's happening with Ray Mickens, is he expected back this year? He was a very good nickel corner, not sure what that would do to Strait's role though.

Easy, been wondering where you were... bout time! :D It was no secret last year they wanted to get rid of Donnie Abraham. He KNOWS he's going to get cut, thus the retirement rumors. Bradway pointedly said he wanted to get younger in the D backfield, which squarley pointed a finger at Reggie Tongue and Abraham. For some reason they arent all that crazy about Strait. Mickens is still the nickel DB.

If Miller falls to 18 or later, what I read into Bradway's comments is that they would try to trade up to get him. They steadfastly REFUSE to talk about specific players though. If they sign Dyson (Abraham is history, take it to the bank) they just might sell the farm to get Miller. This is my hope. I think Bradway was being honest when he said they will go with Legree/Evans at slant nose/RDT, and use the new kids to replace Mckenzie at ORT. He SWORE, I think he even used that word, that they can handle it.... then he said trust me. :D When someone says trust me, I don't. Call me paranoid. If they sign Tyson, can't get Miller, I think they try to trade down for a safety in the second round.