[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tice not suspended

Outshined

Tagliabue: No suspension for Tice

Last Update: 4/6/2005 1:08:50 PM

KFAN dot com

BLAINE, Minn. -- The NFL will discipline Mike Tice for violating league rules about reselling Super Bowl tickets for profit, but the Vikings coach won't be suspended for any part of the 2005 season, commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Wednesday.

Tagliabue, in town for a meeting with Anoka County officials about the team's ongoing stadium issue, said the league's investigation revealed "clear violations" of the NFL's policy regarding the resale of Super Bowl tickets.

Tice likely will face a fine or other discipline for his role in ticket-scalping operation within the Vikings organization, according to Tagliabue, but won't be forced to sit out any games.

"I don't think (disciplinary action) would include suspensions," Tagliabue said, hinting that other members of the organization also could face punishment. "I think it would be financial discipline, fines and conceivably some other forms of discipline short of a suspension. And maybe multiple fines."

Tagliabue said the league hasn't set a timetable for handing down punishment.

The NFL's investigation began in March after an anonymous tipster called the league offices and several media outlets about Tice's alleged involvement in a ticket-scalping operation within the Vikings organization.

The tipster alleged that Tice paid players more than triple face value for their tickets – each NFL player is entitled to purchase two tickets, valued at $500 to $600 each, and must sign a document stating he won’t resell them for profit – and in turn sold the tickets to a broker for an even larger profit.

Two members of the league's security team met with Tice, running backs coach Dean Dalton -- the alleged middleman in the operation -- and other members of the organization March 8 at Winter Park to discuss the allegations.

"My staff has reported to me that there were clear violations of our policies," Tagliabue said. "...At some point, we'll be imposing discipline for those violations."

Tice, the league’s lowest-paid head coach, has admitted reselling his personal allotment of tickets for profit last year, scalping tickets while he was an assistant coach and introducing Dalton to his California-based broker. But he has adamantly denied reports that he personally approached or pressured players to participate in the operation.

Tice was not immediately available for comment Wednesday

i don't get it. this seems like a major deal to me, and it sounds like he's not even getting a slap on the wrist. this, and jamal lewis gets 2 f'n games for pleading guilty to a federal drug trafficking felony. huh?

good thing they at least fine the bejeezus outta safeties who hit hard. :oldrolleyes:

i don't get it.  this seems like a major deal to me, and it sounds like he's not even getting a slap on the wrist.  this, and jamal lewis gets 2 f'n games for pleading guilty to a federal drug trafficking felony.  huh?

good thing they at least fine the bejeezus outta safeties who hit hard. :oldrolleyes:

767970[/snapback]

you really don't get it... :D

The guy is a good guy but dumber then a box of rocks at times. Played in a charity golf tourney last year and met him, just a good guy that made some stupid calls in life.

Personally I like him and what he did was illegal and should lose more then just a fine to the league, but comparing him to the drug charges that is a little slanted to say the least. The guy did not abuse drugs, no steroids (none that are proven), did not beat his wife, did not hit another player or traffic officer, and finally did not spit or display obscene gestures to fans/children so a big fine is should be enforced. The Vikes have bigger issues then a coach selling his tickets, mostly how to get those 13 points back onto the field that they lost with the Randy trade.

Well even quantifying the guilt with "everyone is doing it" means nothing but comparing to the other transgressions in this league does show it is small potatoes (more of an insult to us peons).

Mostly people have to just understand that in the grand scheme of offenses in this league scalping is a minor transgression, BUT we should hit him hard where it hurts most for the least paid HC in the league. That and make him repaint his darn house.

Also any hard core Viking fans in the Minneapolis area at the huddle? I just relocated here and need to find the good bars to watch the games and if there are any "Viking Only" FF leagues with openings.

Also any hard core Viking fans in the Minneapolis area at the huddle? I just relocated here and need to find the good bars to watch the games and if there are any "Viking Only" FF leagues with openings.

768193[/snapback]

Been years but Humphries across from the metrodome was my favorite pre and post Twins game hang-outs. I think it was Humphries. And I'm no Vikings fan.

Been years but Humphries across from the metrodome was my favorite pre and post Twins game hang-outs.  I think it was Humphries.  And I'm no Vikings fan.

768210[/snapback]

Huberts is what you're thinking of. Good luck getting in tho...it's usually shoulder to shoulder in there before a Vikes game.

768193[/snapback]

Gabe's on Energy Park is a great Vikings bar!

you really don't get it... :D

768023[/snapback]

Agreed. One guy is ASSISTING IN SELLING DRUGS ....another is a coach doing what every other coach in the league does apparently. Not to mention Tice is the lowest paid coach (or close to it) in the league, who can blame him? Rumors around MN are that Chris Hovan ratted on Tice. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with what Tice did since he is an NFL head coach and clearly knew this to be against NFL policy, but to say that Jamal Lewis and Mike Tice's situations are similar is just stupid.

Agreed.  One guy is ASSISTING IN SELLING DRUGS ....another is a coach doing what every other coach in the league does apparently.  Not to mention Tice is the lowest paid coach (or close to it) in the league, who can blame him?  Rumors around MN are that Chris Hovan ratted on Tice.  Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with what Tice did since he is an NFL head coach and clearly knew this to be against NFL policy, but to say that Jamal Lewis and Mike Tice's situations are similar is just stupid.

768558[/snapback]

i didn't say they were similar, or even compare them. i said they were both severely underpunished by the league. the league cracks down on good, hard play on the field and lets serious off-field infractions go with hardly a peep. that's the issue.

as far as tice's situation...if other coaches are abusing their position to do something illegal (scalping tickets), then everyone else who's doing or has done it should be seriously punished as well. the "other people do it" excuse is pure bullchit, even if it's true it's NO EXCUSE.

Got season tickets to the Vikes but post game would be fun. Off weeks is what I am looking for. Anyway thanks for the advice.

768396[/snapback]

I tend to stick to the St. Paul side of the cities, but a couple placesI like to watch games at are Champps in Woodury, Joe Sensers in Roseville, and my local favorite is Bleechers in Maplewood. We also have a FF league at Bleechers, primarily basic scoring, we have a couple openings this year. Not exactly sure what you mean by Vikings Only though.