[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My own mock draft

Swiss Cheezhead

1. San Francisco: Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal

This is Nolan's decision and he doesn't care about what the media/public thinks. He also believes he can win soon in that weak division. Even if Rattay were good enough, he can't stay healthy. The 49ers take the QB who's closest to being ready to contribute.

2. Tampa Bay (via Miami): Mike Williams, WR, USC

Gruden has become increasingly obsessed with Williams. I don't know what Gruden will give Saban, but he'll do what it takes. Sure, he could have Cadillac at #5, but the thought of Clayton and Williams playing together convinces Gruden to leapfrog Cleveland and Chicago and take the guy he wants.

3. Minnesota (via Cleveland): Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan

The Vikings don't have a whole lot of needs to fill, so they target one of the top 2 WRs. Smartly, they realize that Tampa Bay might trade up to #2 and take Williams, but they don't care -- they'll take either Williams or Edwards. They're only concerned with getting ahead of Chicago, the other team coveting a WR.

4. Chicago: Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas

With Williams and Edwards both gone, this pick should take all of 30 seconds for Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith. Hunter Hillenmeyer, meet bench. Bench, meet Hunter. Lovie, say hello to one of the best linebacker units in the NFL.

5. Miami (via Tampa Bay): Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn

Saban shows impressive savvy in his first NFL draft. He desperately wants more picks, which he gets from Tampa Bay (maybe a 2005 3rd and 2006 2nd?). He's also said before that #2 is too high to take a RB. With the trade down to number 5, he gets incredible value, realizing he will have his choice of several players who can help his team. In the end, he gets the player everyone expected to go at #2.

6. Tennessee: Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami

Rolle is probably the most NFL-ready defender in the draft. After losing Samari and Andre Dyson, Floyd Reese and Jeff Fisher are perfectly happy to take in immediate impact-player at #6.

7. Cleveland (via Minnesota): Shawne Merriman, LB/DE, Maryland

Pass on Alex Smith? You betcha. Romeo Crennel knows he's not head-and-shoulders better than the 2nd-round QBs and he also has spent the last several years watching a 6th-round QB have incredible success. Crennel loves his versatile, pass-rushing LBs. Merriman probably put on too much (muscle) weight before the combine, but he could stand to lose about 10 lbs and become the agile player Crennel wants to line up as an OLB. In the meantime, the Browns get the Vikings' other 1st-rounder.

8. Arizona: Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn

Denny Green is a firm believer in the "Best Player Available" theory. In this case, that theory aligns with his team's biggest need. In a surprise, Arizona passes on Buffalo's deal for Travis Henry, because Green was simply waiting to see if Cadillac fell to him. If Cadillac is gone, Green will take Henry, swap 2nd-rounders with the Bills, and take Adam Jones here.

9. Washington: Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia

After worrying about the Cardinals for a little while, Snyder and Gibbs exhale and select Fred Smoot's replacement. While Gibbs might consider Alex Smith here, he has two concerns: First, can Smith actually contribute more than Ramsey (with a year of experience in the scheme)? Second, how long will Greg Williams b*tch at me if I don't find him a cornerback?

10. Detroit: Alex Barron, OT, Florida St.

Millen and Mooch observe all the activity in front of them quite calmly, confident that the player they want will fall into their laps. Now Joey Harrington REALLY won't have any excuse to fail. The Lions offense will be pretty scary.

11. Dallas: Troy Williamson, WR, South

After another injury-riddled season for Terry Glenn and another instance of Keyshawn acting like an idiot, Parcells decides to give Bledsoe somebody a little more reliable. Williamson will add a spectacular speed element to the offense and could end up being as good a pro as the two receivers taken ahead of him.

12. San Diego: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU

The Bolts don't have too many needs and they'll have the opportunity to draft the best, prototypical 3-4 DE in this year's class. Spears is a competitor who shows up in key situations. He'll play the run very well and give Wade Phillips the threat of a pass rush on the D-line.

13. Houston: Thomas Davis, S/LB, Georgia

With the 3 top WRs gone, Casserly takes a long look at his defensive depth chart and takes the player most likely to make an immediate impact. No, they won't consider Cedric Benson, since they have 3 guys who can play RB. Davis will step right in and be an intimidating presence, complimenting Marcus Coleman's coverage ability.

14. Carolina: Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State

The Panthers might briefly consider Benson, but the success of Nick Goings last year proves to them that they can run the ball even if Foster AND Davis get injured again (certainly possible). Instead, they take note of Brentson Buckner's hints at retirement and draft his replacement. Johnson will sub in for Buckner on passing downs and, more importantly, this selection will elicit a collective groan from QBs and offensive coordinators everywhere. Carolina's D-line will be nasty for a long time.

15. Kansas City: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

Carl Peterson will probably acquire a veteran CB through a trade (Woodson or Surtain) or as a FA (Law). However, the Chiefs were LAST in the league in pass defense last year, so Peterson will add another immediate starter at CB. Plus, Rogers is the best player available at this point.

16. Philadelphia (via New Orleans): Demarcus Ware, DE/LB, Troy

Haslett wants help right now, but after the Chiefs stole Rogers, there is no longer value for the Saints. The Eagles have the luxury of a TON of draft picks and very few needs. They trade up because Ware is exactly who they want. He can compete for an OLB spot and enter the mix to play DE in passing situations.

17. Cincinnati: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

The Bengals can actually find LB help in free agency, so Marvin Lewis will look elsewhere. He knows Miller is a slight reach here, but he doesn't care -- he'll give Palmer what he needs on offense and he'll put the onus on himself to cure defensive woes later.

18. Cleveland (via Minnesota): Alex Smith, QB, Utah

Well, lookie here -- Savage sure looks smart now. Their QB of the future falls into their laps. The Browns will actually consider an OT here, but won't be able to pass on Alex Smith twice. Smith won't start right away, but he's smart enough to learn in a year and take over for Dilfer in 2006.

19. St. Louis: Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington

Mark my words: if Barnes or Jammal Brown last this long, Martz won't hesitate, especially now that Little got acquitted (eliminating the DE need). Mad Mike frequently criticized his own O-line last year and you can bet Kyle Turley won't be a Ram much longer. Barnes and Orlando Pace will suddenly be one of the top tackle tandems in the league, which will ease Martz's fears of another constantly concussed QB.

20. Dallas: Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma

The Tuna smiles as he fills the gaping hole at RT. Brown's addition will give Bledsoe another second or two in the pocket before he fumbles.

21. Jacksonville: Justin Miller, CB, Clemson

The Jags still haven't found a compliment to Rashean Mathis and something tells me Kiwaukee Thomas isn't the answer. Justin Miller is a great player who can also return kicks and punts. He's the starter at RCB Del Rio is looking for.

22. Baltimore: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma

Since the Ravens have plenty of size at WR (Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes), they'll give Boller another Derrick Mason, only younger. Clayton has reliable hands and is special after the catch. Boller is smiling.

23. Seattle: Cedric Benson, HB, Texas

And Benson's slide finally comes to an end. The 'Hawks desperately need a LB, but none deserve this pick. Instead, they send a message to Shaun Alexander that he better run his ass off this year, because they'll be waving goodbye to him in 2006. Or, Benson's presence will give them more flexibility to work out a trade.

24. Green Bay: Brodney Pool, FS, Oklahoma

Darren who? Safety has become the bar-none, no-question biggest need for Green Bay. This selection is a slight reach (a la Nick Barnett in 2003), but Pool will step right into the starting lineup and have a huge impact.

25. Denver: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan

The loss of Kelly Herndon hurt, given the inconsistency of Lenny Walls and Willie Middlebrooks. Jackson could start opposite Champ Bailey or move to free safety like he did at Michigan last year.

26. New York: Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska

The Jets really wanted Heath Miller to fall this far, but after the Bengals nabbed him, it gave them plenty of time to re-evaluate their options. They hoped for Jackson, only to see him go one pick before them. They won't be excited about taking Washington this high, but they could really use a fast CB for specific matchups. In a year or two, Derrick Strait and Washington will be a nice 1-2 combo.

27. Atlanta: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

Durability and consistency concerns allow James to slide all the way to Atlanta. They'll consider his teammate, Anntaj Hawthorne, but James has way more upside and will be a huge upgrade over Brady Smith. With Rod Coleman, Patrick Kerney, and James, the Falcons' pass rush will be formidable.

28. San Diego: Roddy White, WR, Alabama-Birmingham

A.J. Smith probably knew this would be his pick all along. The Chargers have a decent WR unit, but none of them have great size or speed. White has a nice combination of both and, with McCardell and Caldwell starting, he'll have time to adjust from a small school to the NFL.

29. Indianapolis: Channing Crowder, LB, Florida

Crowder is the perfect fit for Dungy's cover-2 scheme, in ways that Rob Morris wasn't. Crowder is athletic enough to play in space and has good instincts. As for the "character concerns", Dungy is a good mentor-type coach who will keep the kid out of trouble.

30. Pittsburgh: Alex Smith, TE, Stanford

Pittsburgh is another team (like the Eagles) that would probably be a playoff team without any draft picks at all. They could use a CB, but there aren't any left with a 1st-round grade. The same is true for the remaining WRs. So, they give their young QB another option, in the form of a TE. Alex Smith has the best combo of blocking/receiving skills among all TEs in this class, which is exactly what they need after cutting Jay Riemersma.

31. New Orleans (via Philadelphia): Darryl Blackstock, LB, Virginia

Blackstock is the type of LB the Saints need and #31 money is what Blackstock deserves. By trading with Philly, they don't have to reach for someone at #16 AND they get another good player with Philly's high 2nd-rounder.

32. New England: Barrett Ruud, LB, Nebraska

Ruud is the perfect pick for Bill Belichick. He's a smart, coachable, blue-collar player who was amazingly productive in college. If Bruschi doesn't return, Ruud can step right in and start for the Pats. If Bruschi comes back, Ruud will be even better next year.

Edit: Corrected typo.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work.

Crowder pick is a definite possiblilty for the Colts. I think they should use the pick on a cornerback, but the Colts GM, Bill Polian, tends to shy away from drafting corners in the first round. It has to be a CB, LB, or DT. My best guess is that the Colts trade down. They have done so every year that they drafted this late. They traded back from 22 to 30 in 2001. The Giants took Will Allen and the Colts took Reggie Wayne. Last year they traded from 29 to 38 and then from 38 to 44. The Steelers took Ricardo Colclough and the Colts took Bob Sanders.

Edited by CaptainHook

Kudo's on the Mock...

As for the Vikes - I hope they don't trade away the 18th pick. We could use that ti fill a hole at Defensive End or Saftey or WR depending on what they do with #7.

769814[/snapback]

Well, I think they'd do better to get Troy Williamson at #7 and take an O-lineman (Barnes or Brown) at #18, but I'm not sure they feel nearly as strongly about Williamson as they do about Williams/Edwards.

The trade makes sense, though, and I'm not the only one who's predicting it nowadays. If you believe in the "point system" for draft day trades (see the Gil Brandt article on NFL.com), the #7 + #18 is very close to the same value as the #3 overall. It would seem to make sense for both teams IF the Vikes really do like Edwards and Williams as much as I think.

Kudo's on the Mock...

As for the Vikes - I hope they don't trade away the 18th pick. We could use that ti fill a hole at Defensive End or Saftey or WR depending on what they do with #7.

769814[/snapback]

Agreed. If one of BMW or Edwards don't fall to #7, take one of the 3 RBs. Then at #18 hopefully either Williamson or Clayton will be there.

Marcus Spears makes sense for the Bolts to select with the 12th pick, but Roddy White with the 28th pick??? I don't see it!!!

770062[/snapback]

Why not? What position do you think they'll target? The only other player I could see them grabbing is Elton Brown, OG, Virginia.

Good stuff Swiss :D

All those picks make sense and I can definately see the Phins and Browns trading down a few spots to the team who covet one of the two WRs. Really think the Bears would pass over Ronnie Brown if he fell to #4? I think they'd grab him since Thomas Jones never has been and never will be the answer. But that would be a great LB core...

Why not? What position do you think they'll target? The only other player I could see them grabbing is Elton Brown, OG, Virginia.

770188[/snapback]

Brown is a possibility, but they are also drooling to get a LB. Channing Crowder, Demarcus Ware (although you have him going at #16), or Barrett Ruud are possibilities.

Edited by Chargerz

Not bad at all. You took a few gambles, which I really enjoyed because draft day is always 10 times more chaotic than everyone thinks its gonna be. The vast majority of your picks were sensible. Just a few little things that caught my eye---

first of all Khalif Barnes. I think everyone is immensely overrating this guy based on his agility and combine workout. The fact is, he isn't all that great of a football player. Anyone thinking of drafting him I'm sure has seen enough tape to figure that out.

There is no way Dallas passes on Justin Miller at 20.

As awesome as Benson to the Seahawks would be, the Hawks have put themselves into a hole where as they have no choice but to draft a LB. The Hawks will sweat around 18 if Channing Crowder is still on the board until they pick at 23.

E. James at 28 seems like a huge dropoff--on second thought, he seems to be the exact type of player that always has to sit in the crowd with his peeps and wait...and wait....and WAIT....

One of the best mocks I've seen, much better insight than Mel Jr. I agree with your Panthers pick. They can stay a contender by keeping the D-line at a very high level and get offensive depth in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

This is as good, if not better than any other mock I've seen.  :D

I'd be disappointed if the Bears don't snag one of the top two WRs, but it could happen.

770207[/snapback]

Yup. Excellent mock, very well done!

:D

Peace

policy

Brown is a possibility, but they are also drooling to get a LB. Channing Crowder, Demarcus Ware (although you have him going at #16), or Barrett Ruud are possibilities.

770210[/snapback]

Maybe I'm slightly misinformed. I was under the impression the Bolts weren't targeting a LB with the 1st pick. Do you have a link to any stories saying otherwise? I'd be interested in that.

Nice draft. I don't think the Lions will take Barron, although I wouldn't be mad if they did. Millen likes flashy players in the first. I think that the Lions will go DE here. I'd like Spears, at least from what I've read. As I've said before, this is a draft where it would be nearly impossible for Millen to piss me off (unlike the last three).

first of all Khalif Barnes.  I think everyone is immensely overrating this guy based on his agility and combine workout.  The fact is, he isn't all that great of a football player.  Anyone thinking of drafting him I'm sure has seen enough tape to figure that out.

770223[/snapback]

Well, it's tough to truly say whether Barnes is overrated or underrated. You're right -- he didn't stand out tremendously during the season. However, it wasn't just the combine workout that caused his stock to rise. Barnes was probably the best OT throughout the Senior Bowl (including practices), against the nation's top senior DEs. Matt Roth said that Barnes was the best OT he's faced.

Martz might very well take Jammal Brown instead, but there are many who believe he's "overrated" as well.

There is no way Dallas passes on Justin Miller at 20. 

770223[/snapback]

I think you're dead wrong on this one. Parcells has made no secret of his desire to get new STARTERS for next year. Why would he draft a nickelback over a starting OT? Doesn't make sense to me, but if you have read something about the Tuna's infatuation with Miller (or any CB) in the 1st round, please share.

As awesome as Benson to the Seahawks would be, the Hawks have put themselves into a hole where as they have no choice but to draft a LB.  The Hawks will sweat around 18 if Channing Crowder is still on the board until they pick at 23.

770223[/snapback]

Well, there are a few things that made persuaded me the 'Hawks would pass on a LB in that situation. First, there are significant questions about all the LBs after Derrick Johnson, which would cause hesitation at #23. Second, I fully expect Ruskell to land Jamie Sharper in the next several days. Plus, we've seen this type of thing before, almost every year. If Benson DOES slide that far, he'll become the "sexy" pick -- the kind that makes GMs all starry-eyed when their selection rolls around. Sometimes, it just seems like a compulsion to take a falling player, especially if the GM can justify it. In this case, Alexander's situation justifies it completely.

E. James at 28 seems like a huge dropoff--on second thought, he seems to be the exact type of player that always has to sit in the crowd with his peeps and wait...and wait....and WAIT....

770223[/snapback]

I think some people just can't forget the hot start James had last season. Unfortunately, that's all it was. I believe he finished with only 8.5 sacks or something. He's got ideal measurables for a 4-3 end, but there isn't a big market for 4-3 ends this year. That's why I have Pollack, Cody, & Roth falling out of the 1st round completely. So, James has a few things working against him. Not many teams need him, most teams wonder about his consistency, and all teams are concerned about his injuries. I hope he has a parachute. :D

Steelers currently have 6 TE on their roster Cushing, Tuman, Rasby, Kranchik, Frieser and Battaglia.

I hope the aquisition of Battaglia ends this fascination with TE in Pittsburgh.

770281[/snapback]

I understand where you're coming from, jack; I just think Alex Smith will be a great all-around TE.

That said, I almost put Shaun Cody in that spot. His stock is falling rapidly these days, but I could see him being Kimo V's eventual replacement.