[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My own mock draft

Swiss Cheezhead

Steelers currently have 6 TE on their roster Cushing, Tuman, Rasby, Kranchik, Frieser and Battaglia.

I hope the aquisition of Battaglia ends this fascination with TE in Pittsburgh.

770281[/snapback]

I agree Jack. I don't want to see them take a TE here either and I don't think they will. If Heath Miller is still there, they may consider him, but he has question marks as he hasn't worked out this off-season because of sports hernia.

I think there's a chance they take Matt Jones with their first pick. Picking him in the 1st may be a bit of a stretch, but he's been moving up everyone's draft board this off-season. If they want him (and from what I've been reading, they do), he'll more than likely be gone before their pick in the 2nd round.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't like either pick you have my Cowboys taking; however, you do have Merriman gone by #11 so they're legit picks I just don't want the draft to go down the way you have it. You are right; however, there is no way, no possible way the Cowboys will take a CB in the first round. No way.

I still don't like either pick you have my Cowboys taking; however, you do have Merriman gone by #11 so they're legit picks I just don't want the draft to go down the way you have it.  You are right; however, there is no way, no possible way the Cowboys will take a CB in the first round.  No way.

770515[/snapback]

If I were a Dallas fan...well, first I'd start crying for a while...but, then, I'd be happy with the Williamson/Brown combo. If Merriman is gone, where's the value at #11? D-line, CB, neither of which are needs for the 'Boys.

If they don't want Williamson, I could see them trading down, but that's the only other option IMO.

Who would you want the Cowboys to take?

770514[/snapback]

I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming draft. Ideally we get Merriman then Cody.

Merriman but would be happy with Spears at #11. This defensive line is a DE away from being one of the best. I guess the more I think about your mock if Merriman is gone and we take Spears then I love Jammal Brown at #20.

I just think Chris Henry, the WR from West Virginia, is going to be special and he should be there or I'm hoping he will be there with the 2.10. Again, I don't have any gripe at all with your picks I just don't want them wasting the #11 on a WR when the best WR in this draft, IMHO, will be there for the taking in the second round. And I'm a Michigan fan, wearing my maize and blue baseball hat as I type this.

I agree with most others that yours is better than a lot of the crap I've wasted my time reading. So basically now that I think about it, I take back 1/2 of what I said about liking neither player. Jammal Brown is an excellent choice at #20 if we can't go Merriman/Cody in the 1st.

Thanks, Club. But I guess I'm still unclear about one thing -- what's the latest on the 3-4 defense rumors? If they DO end up using primarily the 3-4, then Glover is a perfect fit at DE. If they stay with the 3-4 primarily, then, yes, they definitely need another DE to replace Kenyon Coleman.

Your answer could really screw up my mock...even though I'm already questioning my Houston pick. See how silly mock drafts are? :D

Thanks, Club. But I guess I'm still unclear about one thing -- what's the latest on the 3-4 defense rumors? If they DO end up using primarily the 3-4, then Glover is a perfect fit at DE. If they stay with the 3-4 primarily, then, yes, they definitely need another DE to replace Kenyon Coleman.

Your answer could really screw up my mock...even though I'm already questioning my Houston pick. See how silly mock drafts are? :D

770703[/snapback]

Mocks are silly but fun. Yours is pretty darn good.

Now I don't need the nit pickers to come in here and pont out that the Cowboys play both 3-4 and 4-3 already, I know that but they are still what I would call a "base" 4-3. Given my definition of their defensive scheme, to me keeping Glover is a sign they are going to stay with the 4-3.

Since I think they will be that 4-3 next year with a mix of 3-4 sets, Merriman, policy's favorite tweener :D, makes so much sense with the #11 since he is so versatile. Given that it is a 4-3 "base" defensive scheme, I'd rather have Merriman as our LB who could rotate to DE if they wanted for the 3-4 sets and you still have the need for a DE for you "base" defense. I don't see Spears being there at 20 so I like Cody. Say what you want about Oklahomo but that kid has heart.

Of course that is speculation on my part as there is no official word that I am aware of concerning the 4-3/3-4 debate and of course the Howard trade with the Saints could change what I want anyways. That is still not off the table, either.

Mainly though, I want Chris Henry at the 2.10. :D

Edited by Clubfoothead

I agree on Chris Henry, by the way. As trite as it sounds by now, he is definitely in the Randy Moss mold.

770771[/snapback]

So true.

You seem so smart. How can you not be a Cowboys fan? :shakesheadandcries:

:D:D

Nice draft.  I don't think the Lions will take Barron, although I wouldn't be mad if they did.  Millen likes flashy players in the first.  I think that the Lions will go DE here.  I'd like Spears, at least from what I've read.  As I've said before, this is a draft where it would be nearly impossible for Millen to piss me off (unlike the last three).

770394[/snapback]

Naw, Spears is a DT/DE 'tweener, and we already have one of those.

Peace

policy

Naw, Spears is a DT/DE 'tweener, and we already have one of those.

Peace

policy

770886[/snapback]

Yeah, but Spears is faster than Redding. He could bring consistent pressure no matter what the down is... at least from what I've read. I stress again that I don't follow college ball.

Yeah, but Spears is faster than Redding.  He could bring consistent pressure no matter what the down is... at least from what I've read.  I stress again that I don't follow college ball.

771201[/snapback]

Don't argue wih Policy. That dude is full of knowledge.

Don't argue wih Policy.  That dude is full of knowledge.

771214[/snapback]

Policy and I have some disagreements about Lions football, especially when it comes to placing the blame for the Lions anemic passing game *cough*Harringtonblows*cough*. However, this is a minor disagreement, I think. I'd be happy with a Lions draft that started with the selection of Alex Barron, and I don't think he'd be too disappointed in a draft that started with Marcus Spears, as DE is a need for the team.

About the only thing that would peeve me off would be if Millen drafted a skill position player at #10. If there's a trade down, it may be acceptable to draft a WR, but it depends on the trade down, the other picks received, and the other players available.

Swiss, an admirable effort..... but now, you have to consider that Abraham (DE) of the Jets may well be traded very shortly... and Dallas is rumored to be the front runner. Parcells drafted him, and you know how Parcells get sabout "his" boys. That would throw things up in the air for sure....

Maybe I'm slightly misinformed. I was under the impression the Bolts weren't targeting a LB with the 1st pick. Do you have a link to any stories saying otherwise? I'd be interested in that.

770373[/snapback]

I'm talking about the Bolts second pick in the first round. We already agree on a defensive lineman with their first pick.

Edited by Chargerz

Policy and I have some disagreements about Lions football, especially when it comes to placing the blame for the Lions anemic passing game *cough*Harringtonblows*cough*.  However, this is a minor disagreement, I think.  I'd be happy with a Lions draft that started with the selection of Alex Barron, and I don't think he'd be too disappointed in a draft that started with Marcus Spears, as DE is a need for the team.

771271[/snapback]

If we went DE, I'd much rather see Merriman. We already have a line full of big, strong guys who aren't that fast. Hall got eleven sacks last season, but he's all strength and technique (and letting the DTs take all the blockers). I think our "need" at DE is a scary-fast edge rusher, in the Dwight Freeney/Jevon Kearse mold. Someone who can blow past LTs and demand chips from RBs and TEs. Someone who has to be accounted for by the defese. Merriman and Pollack are the only two with the burst to fit that mold (though Pollack lacks strength and technique).

I like Spears and Erasmus James as players, don't get me wrong, but I don't see either of them cracking the starting lineup, let alone making a big impact this season. I want the Lions to draft someone who makes the team immediately better--and I think Millen and Mooch realize it's now or never, too--and IMO the only players that fit that bill (that might be available) are Barron, Johnson, Rolle, and Merriman.

Peace

policy

1. If Khalif Barnes goes 19 to St. Louis, he will become one of the biggest busts in the draft, and that DE obviously hasn't played against very much talent. Maybe its just a down year for lineman, but the only good thing I can say about Barnes is that he started a crapload of games. He was always a decent lineman on a bad o-line. Then he becamse a decent senior lineman on a bad o-line. Thats really it. I watched every game he ever played in and cannot remember one single block. That to me doesn't equal first round.

2. Justin Miller will go to the Cowboys because Henry isn't the answer. CB was their worst position on the field last year, and the addition of Miller will insure that Pete Hunter never sees the grass again. Justin Miller is a heck of a player, and you'll see his stock continue to rise as he gets more exposure.

3. Even if the Seahawks sign Sharper, which I still am not convinced will happen, they're still a starter short, and thats assuming Chad Brown plays more than 25% of the snaps. They'd love to go Benson here, but they simply have left themselves no choice. I do agree that there probably isn't a LB that deserves to be taken at 23, so trading down a handful of slots could be a possibility, however, going any position other than LB is not.

If we went DE, I'd much rather see Merriman.  We already have a line full of big, strong guys who aren't that fast.  Hall got eleven sacks last season, but he's all strength and technique (and letting the DTs take all the blockers).  I think our "need" at DE is a scary-fast edge rusher, in the Dwight Freeney/Jevon Kearse mold.  Someone who can blow past LTs and demand chips from RBs and TEs.  Someone who has to be accounted for by the defese.  Merriman and Pollack are the only two with the burst to fit that mold (though Pollack lacks strength and technique). 

I like Spears and Erasmus James as players, don't get me wrong, but I don't see either of them cracking the starting lineup, let alone making a big impact this season.  I want the Lions to draft someone who makes the team immediately better--and I think Millen and Mooch realize it's now or never, too--and IMO the only players that fit that bill (that might be available) are Barron, Johnson, Rolle, and Merriman.

Peace

policy

771719[/snapback]

He dropped mad knowledge this time.

Hey I didn't mean to offend you at all by nitpicking on your mock. Your mock was very well researched and prepared. You really tried to look past the obvious big names and got inside the heads of the GMs. There were just a few small things I would've personally done differently, thats all. Just one man's opinion. Feel free to rip me a new one when I post mine momentarily

i like that mock but smith will not fall to 18. People thought harrington could fall to 18 a couple of years ago but was selected 3rd. Nobody wants to pass on an elway or culpepper or even the way it looks now a brees. You need to squeeze smith in the top 10 somewhere. Especially since roethlisberger fell out of the top 10 and looks like a great pro player. Smith is a better prospect than roethlisberger and harrington. Some team will grab him. But well done mock. Light years ahead of the draft sharks nonsense