[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who slides in the draft?

General Itals

Some player who is expected to be drafted high always is left sittting all alone in the green room while others get called before him. Who is it in this years draft?

Imo, it could be one of the Qb's(Smith or Rodgers, whoever doesn't get drafted by the 49'ers), but I bet it's Mike Williams. I don't think the Vikings will take him at #7. I think teams have questions about his speed, not to mention how he responds to not playing football for over a year.

I don't think the Vikes will take Williams either. I was surprised to see Fanball predict that not only will they take Williams but they would move up to not lose him. I'm not opposed to taking a receiver or runningback for the first pick like many are, however.

I see Smith, Benson and Williams all dropping to at least the mid teens...

770129[/snapback]

I agree with you on Smith and Benson. I think someone will take a risk on Williams, and someone will get a bargain on Benson. This year's QB class sucks, and I wouldn't be suprised it Smith made it out of the teens to the late first round.

One guy who slid recently because of his speed that comes to mind ...Anquan Boldin. I don't know if you can pass on a guy like Mike Williams because of the speed factor, a guy like Troy Williamson might get drafter earlier than he should because of his 40 times. Every year, same sh**. Guys who make plays in college slide and guys who can run the 40 jump up.

One guy who slid recently because of his speed that comes to mind ...Anquan Boldin.  I don't know if you can pass on a guy like Mike Williams because of the speed factor, a guy like Troy Williamson might get drafter earlier than he should because of his 40 times.  Every year, same sh**.  Guys who make plays in college slide and guys who can run the 40 jump up.

770432[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more Pedro. Some mocks have the Panthers taking Williamson. If we take that guy I'm gonna be pissed.

One guy who slid recently because of his speed that comes to mind ...Anquan Boldin.  I don't know if you can pass on a guy like Mike Williams because of the speed factor, a guy like Troy Williamson might get drafter earlier than he should because of his 40 times.  Every year, same sh**.  Guys who make plays in college slide and guys who can run the 40 jump up.

770432[/snapback]

This is true, to a certain extent. However, it's not like speed doesn't matter. There are plenty of "speed" players who had productive NFL careers even though their college play wasn't spectacular.

David Terrell and Peter Warrick probably made more big plays in college than Torry Holt and Javon Walker. Holt and Walker ran fast before the draft and showed NFL scouts what they could do. Now, compare the careers of those four players.

Do "slow" football players sometimes get drafted too late? Sure -- just like Boldin. Do "fast-40" guys get drafted too high? Absolutely -- just like Donte Stallworth. The truth, however, is that scouting is witchcraft. Speed does kill. Good football players are sometimes good football players no matter how fast they are. That's why scouts get paid to evaluate players and we don't.

...this has got me wondering if, lets say, CBs go off the board quickly (ie, the top three -- Rolle, Jones and Rogers -- are off the board in the top 14 picks), any chance KC takes Williamson or Williams at 15?

And, by the way, Williamson DID make plays in college -- just not very many because of the offense. Panthers fans should be happy to have him, if they get him.

770535[/snapback]

We have more pressing needs.

...this has got me wondering if, lets say, CBs go off the board quickly (ie, the top three -- Rolle, Jones and Rogers -- are off the board in the top 14 picks), any chance KC takes Williamson or Williams at 15?

770582[/snapback]

Williams won't be there, but Williamson would make sense for the Chiefs.

This is true, to a certain extent. However, it's not like speed doesn't matter. There are plenty of "speed" players who had productive NFL careers even though their college play wasn't spectacular.

David Terrell and Peter Warrick probably made more big plays in college than Torry Holt and Javon Walker. Holt and Walker ran fast before the draft and showed NFL scouts what they could do. Now, compare the careers of those four players.

Do "slow" football players sometimes get drafted too late? Sure -- just like Boldin. Do "fast-40" guys get drafted too high? Absolutely -- just like Donte Stallworth. The truth, however, is that scouting is witchcraft. Speed does kill. Good football players are sometimes good football players no matter how fast they are. That's why scouts get paid to evaluate players and we don't.

770532[/snapback]

Definitely good points ...I think I am just looking at it this year in particular (draft-wise) and think that Mike Williams is going to be a star, while I could see Troy Williamson being the next A. Hakim or Stalworth, like you said. I do like Troy Williamson (saw the video, looked great), I just couldn't justify drafting him ahead of Mike Williams...or even sleeping on Mike Williams to grab Troy W. later.

I think qb Alex Smith could drop into the second round. I wouldn't take a chance on a "system" qb that put up huge stats in college (Andre Ware, David Klingler, Ty Detmer, etc.) If he wasn't going to be even the 4th best qb going against Eli Manning, Phil Rivers and Rothlesburger, why all of a sudden is he a top 10 prospect?

Scotts need to seperate teh workout warriors from the Football players...Mike Willaims is a football player.

McPherson is going to cause Smith or Rigers to slide. Personally, I would not draft a Tedford coached QB...Harrington quasi bust...A. Smith...BUST and is even getting his lunch handed to him in NFLE.

Pac-man I think he slips. Unless 49ers draft Rolle with the first pick.

Benson might slip due to a deal that could be struck with the Cards and the Bills.

nice try swiss. Torry holt was as dominant in college as now. He still holds many acc records. You don't get drafted 6th by running a fast 40. He had 1600 yards his senior year in COLLEGE! You could tell david terrel would be a bum; look who he had around him: henson, anthony thomas, and about 4 nfl lineman. Holt had nada

But stallworth will be good someday. He was ill in college too. He's been hurt alot. He scored 8 td's as a rookie and had 764 yards and 5 td's last year with a bad hamstring. Peter Warrick played with a heisman winning qb and when weinke missed a game warrick had 1 catch for 7 yards.

To predict pro success based on environmental factors discussed above usually works. But lets not forget nfl systems and surrounding talent dictate success as well.

Personally, I don't get the knock on Mike Williams for his "speed".

I'm sure most realize that Williams ran basically the exact 40 times at the combine as the best WR in the 2004 class did. Now, if Mike Clayton can play in the pros with his lack of speed, then the same benefit of the doubt needs to be given to Williams.

I think a lot of the offensive players drop. Every year the mocks seem to have many skill position players going in the top 15, but it never seems to turn out that way.

This year, Benson, Williamson, and maybe even Cadillac fall farther than people think.

How many teams really need a RB and are willing to spend top ten money on one? Miami and TB? The market for quality RBs seems to be saturated. Travis Henry can't even find a team that will give the Bills anything for him.

Benson will slip into the early 20s. Cadillac will last past ten and Williamson could fall to late 20s.

It should be an interesting draft.