[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best player in the league?

Joe Public

When I say "best" I don't mean statistically (although that is important), I mean in terms of overall greatness. Influence, ability, leadership, football IQ, experience etc.

I have to pick Ray Lewis. Great leader, intensity that no one else could hope to match, and a great football player.

Who do you pick and why?

I think there are a few very good choices. However, given the production that Ladanian Tomlinson has had on a very mediocre team with crappy quarterback play (until last year), I'd give him the nod.

Edited by Puddy

I think there are a few very good choices.  However, given the production that Ladanian Tomlinson has had on a very mediocre team with crappy quarterback play (until last year), I'd give him the nod.

772656[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more! :D

Gotta throw Jerry Rice out there when you talk about experience, leadership and IQ---his common sense should have been to hang it up sooner...but hey he's Jerry Rice----close very close are two sure fire Hall of Famers--Peyton Manning and Brett Favre....ask no questions there will be no lies...

Probably Reggie Williams. His size, speed and raw athletic ability make him a threat to go the distance on any given down. Oh who am I kidding

The obvious answer.....Mike Vick. An ABSOLUTE winner with ABSOLUTELY no talent around him.

The obvious answer.....Mike Vick.  An ABSOLUTE winner with ABSOLUTELY no talent around him.

774219[/snapback]

You can't say Vick because his stats suck and anyone who drafted him last year will fight it until their death.

Eventhough he has gotten as far in the playoffs as the great Peyton Manning in less than half the time. :D

Edited by WaterMan

Otto Graham QB with the Brownies, the ORIGINAL Brownies, 7 championships out of the 10 times he brought the Brownies to the title game, and he played only 10 years. Now that has to say something about the guy. Maybe Joe Montana or Joe Namath? Other side of the ball? Hmmm I am of course a Viking fan so this is slighted but Alan Page, State Supreme Court Justice has to show some type of intelligence even after all those years of bruising his brain.

In today's light I would give Peyton the Nod simply because he is a student of the game. D side of the ball Ray Lewis is the most dominating player right now and for the past 3 years. Before that I would tap Brooks on the shoulder as he was the reason the Buc's were that good on D.

a couple of years ago, i would have to answer brett favre, but we can all see his decline. so if we are answering today, it would be a completely different answer. i'm surprised at all the lack of winners that everyone is picking. i want guys like steve young, joe montana, brett favre, walter payton, etc. guys that took over games so their team would win.

do i think peyton manning is the smartest player in the league? yes.

do i think lt is the most talented? yes.

do i think ed reed is one of the biggest leaders and toughest players? yes.

would i choose any of them over tom brady in the super bowl? not as of today.

listen, i'm not even a pats fan and i really don't like pretty boy brady, but the kid is a winner. peyton will get his ring, but he hasn't proven he can win the big game.....yet. lt is always consistent, but has he even just "taken over" a game like emmitt smith did in his career? all i'm saying is that for some reason, brady has the intangibles to get things done. the above guys i mentioned had that. steve young was too short, favre was too aggressive, etc. but all those critics shut up when those guys won game after game in the clutch.

i as of today, take brady. i hate to say it, but he is the real deal. he doesn't put up massive stats, but when his team needs a drive, he gets it done.

just my humble opinion.

Retired, Gotta go with

1. Barry Sanders (pure talent)

2. Emmit Smith (much heart)

3. LT, the original (evil intentions)

4. Neon Deion (love him or hate him, that dude scaried QBs sh!tless)

As for current Players

1. Payton Manning (Talent, Brains, and as accurate as they come)

2. T.O (Kate Middleton, but he comes to play)

3. Ed Reed ( Ray Lewis may be the mouth, but he's the muscle)

4. Tom Brady (Field General, 1st round HOF)