[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arena League player dies from spinal injury

Puddy

Sports - Football

Former NFL Player Dies During Arena Game

1 hour, 42 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.

Lucas was taken to California Hospital and all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Luga Podesta said in a statement.

A call to a California Hospital spokesman was not returned.

"It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family," team owner and chief executive officer Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

The 26-year-old Lucas was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers, recording 49 1/2 tackles in 20 games. He attended Troy State from 1996-99 and won the Buck Buchanan Award his senior season as the top defensive player in Division I-AA. In 43 games at Troy State he had 255 tackles and 11 1/2 sacks.

He was selected to the Arena League's All-Rookie team in 2003 while playing for Tampa Bay.

"Al Lucas played arena football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as well as his friends, family and teammates," commissioner David Baker said in a statement.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah

:D That is terrible.Has anyone ever died in the NFL from an injury sustained in a game? I feel bad for this guy and his family.I hope they get taken care of.

Edited by whomper

Ugh....

Well, with that many big guys hitting eachother, I suppose that this was bound to happen eventually. I can't recall seeing a guy die in an NFL game, but I suspect that has more to do with luck than with anything wrong with the Arena League.

Still, it's sad that a young guy with so much to live for had to go out like this. Hopefully, he loved the game and died doing something he loved to do.

That is terrible.Has anyone ever died in the NFL from an injury sustained in a game?

772782[/snapback]

Detroit Lions receiver Chuck Hughes died of a heart attack during a game on October 24, 1971. Hughes entered the game late in the fourth quarter and ran a deep route over the middle. As he headed back to the huddle, he collapsed. Team doctor Richard Thompson tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate Hughes on the field and the game was finished in silence.

There are a few more who died shortly after the game. link

Edited by CaptainHook

I suspect that has more to do with luck than with anything wrong with the Arena League.

772819[/snapback]

It probably was just bad luck and I don't think there is anything wrong with the equipment or the rules but I wonder if it had anything to do with the medical staff they have on hand at the arena games. NFL games would have a first rate staff.

It probably was just bad luck and I don't think there is anything wrong with the equipment or the rules but I wonder if it had anything to do with the medical staff they have on hand at the arena games.  NFL games would have a first rate staff.

772998[/snapback]

Should have made no difference. Guessing from the video, his injury had to be in the cervical spine. Lucas could have been immediately paralyzed or killed. The only immediate treatment could have been treatment with anti-inflammatory steriods (large dose), which can only be given in a hospital. That's providing he didn't go into arrest on the field or enroute to the hospital.

Edited by Swampnuts