[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Live chat with Matt Mosley of Dallas Morning News

General Itals

mikenfrisco: Matt, in your opinion, what would be a dream draft for the Cowboys (barring any trades)?

Matt Mosley: First of all, thanks to everyone who's participating today. And sorry I had to delay things a bit. Now, about that dream draft. We can't talk about barring any trades because I can almost guarantee you the Cowboys will trade down out of one of those first two picks. If they stay where they are, I could see them taking two defensive linemen. Keep Shawne Merriman, Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears in mind. I'm really going out on a limb there, huh?

Moderator - Jeff Davis: There's need to take WR first day, no way he plays ahead of Tuna's trusted vets, or Quincy Morgan. If we trade down from 20 to like 27, any chance we take theOklahoma safety there or is it too high? George Issaris, Athens, Greece

Matt Mosley: George, I've always believed Athens is a hot spot for Cowboys fans. I think the Oklahoma safety that you speak of, Brodney Pool, will go somewhere in that No. 27 range. But I have a hard time seeing the Cowboy going after a safety that early in the draft. Look for them to try to pick up a third round pick and get a guy like Sean Consadine there.

Moderator - Jeff Davis: I thought Kalen Thornton was supposed to be the Cowboys 3-4 rush linebacker / 4-3 DE? I know you should always want the best talent, but if Thornton is the real deal then why is it life or death to get either Merriman or Ware with the #11 pick? - Marc Cusaac

Matt Mosley: I don't know if anyone is ready to say Kalen Thornton is the real deal. He was an undrafted rookie, so it's amazing he even made the team. I think Parcells likes him. But he's not an every down guy. The Cowboys want an impact player at that position. Shawne Merriman and Demarcus Ware could fill that role.

Moderator - Jeff Davis: Are the Cowboys still interested in Darren Howard from the Saints? - Charles McLemore

Matt Mosley: Charles, it sounds like that deal has died a very slow death. The Saints asked for Dat Nguyen and the Cowboys said no. It hasn't gone any further than that.

Thierry: Could the Cowboys be interested in a trade to get San Diego Chargers backup running back Ahmaad Galloway?

Matt Mosley: At last check, Galloway was playing for Frankfurt in NFL Europe. The Broncos cut the former fifth-round pick. I don't think the Cowboys would have any interest. They will probably try to find some value in about the fourth round. Anyone remember Darren Sproles from Kansas State or Ryan Moats from Louisiana Tech. Too little guys who catch the ball. Very elusive.

pottsville: Is Demarcus Ware really worthy of the # 11 pick? I've seen him rated as low as 37th overall.

Matt Mosley: I know that No. 37 is way too low for this guy. Probably rated that way because he didn't play at a school that got a ton of attention. He might not have the versatility of a Merriman. But he's a pure pass rusher. Maybe more of a conventional player. I don't think No. 11 is a reach. I just think you've read too many boards that have Merriman there at No. 11.

pottsville: I've heard Jerry mention scenarios involving Dallas' #11 pick and a running back still being on the board. With San Diego at #12, why would someone want to trade up to 11 when they could trade up to 12 or 13 given the fact that SD doesn't need a RB any more than the Cowboys do?

Matt Mosley: You make a good point, but there are other factors at work here. Maybe one of the teams wanting to move up receives a better deal from Jerry Jones. Over the years, certain teams seem to enjoy doing business together. Jones and Raiders owner Al Davis are close friends. And that may have something to do with the fact that the teams have worked out some deals in the past.

Cal-Boys: WHO DO YOU THINK THAT THE COWBOYS WILL GET WITH THE 20TH PICK?

Matt Mosley: Even though the sexy choice might be receiver, I think the Cowboys will look for a defensive linemen with that pick. That may be the case, even if they move down in the draft. I can't see them taking a safety because about the only sure thing at safety is Thomas Davis. He's not the covery safety the Cowboys need.

hannah: I would bet Jones and Parcells trade both first round for more picks in the second.. . .do you disagree

Matt Mosley: It just depends on how he values some of those players in the second. They can't get caught trading out of spots that would land them starters. I still think the Cowboys need to find about three starters in this draft. I'm not sure you accomplish that by trading out of all your first-round picks.

tlrrebel: Do you think the cowboys will stand pat at #11 or try to move up or down in the draft to get the player they want?

Matt Mosley: It just depends on who's around at No. 11. If someone unexpectedly slips and a team at No. 16 wants him, then Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells will listen.

docrock: Explain to me why the Boys will not take a chance on Maurice Clarett in the later rounds?

Matt Mosley: Docrock, I'm not saying they won't take a chance on the guy. But Bill Parcells has said that he prefers an elusive guy. Clarett is a big back and doesn't fit that description. That's why the Cowboys may pass on him.

CC: Do you think we have quarterback situation set for this year

Matt Mosley: I don't see any changes at that position. Unless the Cowboys see someone of extreme value fall, they'll just stay the course. Drew Bledsoe starts for a year or two and you keep trying to find out if Drew Henson is the long-term answer.

David-G: I don't know if Ty Law has already been signed by another team, but if not, couldn't he be a great fit as a veteran leader as a Free Safety? He could slide into coverage on the Nickel D as well. Any thoughts by the Cowboy's of something or someone along those lines?

Matt Mosley: I want to hear a team try to convince Ty Law to move to safety. This is a supremely proud player who thinks he's still among the top three cornerbacks in the league. And he may be right. He wants way too much money and he's not ready to play nickel or safety.

Shusky: I've seen the Cowboys slated to select T. Williamson in a number of Mock Drafts. No offense to him but I've watched him play and I'm not impressed. Why not take Clayton at 20 instead and select a defensive player at 11?

Matt Mosley: I don't think the Cowboys will take Troy Williamson at No. 20 because he'll already be gone. And Clayton should go way before that. I've seen him going as high as No. 8. You'll get your defensive player with that first pick. I just don't think that second pick is a lock for receiver.

markus: A couple years ago, the Cowboys dropped down 2 spots (#6 to #8) and still got their guy (Roy Williams). When dropping 1 or 2 spots what assurances do teams receive from the team they're trading with that they won't take the guy they are targeting?

Matt Mosley: Markus, as competitive a league as this is, it's hard to believe that a team would suddenly renege on a deal. They would take way too much of a PR hit. That stuff just doesn't happen.

Hawg1: If the Cowboys go Defensive with both first round picks, what are the chances of them taking Matt Jones in the second round.....or would they more likely want a proven WR?

Matt Mosley: I think a lot of people think Jerry Jones' love for Arkansas might have something to do with Matt Jones coming here. Well, the only time that love of the alma mater comes into play might be in the late rounds. He likes Matt Jones, but I don't see them risking a second-round pick on a guy who's never played the position when they can get a guy who's been playing it all his life.

jksmith269: Do you see us trading any players away on draft day for picks?

Matt Mosley: I wouldn't bet on it. If it happens, I think it would be more of a fringe player such as Kenyon Coleman. The Cowboys did land a starting fullback, Darian Barnes, on the second day of last year's draft.

capstone: Why don't the Cowboys take Seattle or Indy up on the chance to get Shaun Alexander or Edgerrin James for a 2nd rounder? It would seem that an upgrade in the running game helps this team more than anything, right?

Matt Mosley: Did you see a guy named Julius Jones play last season? I did, and if he's not the real deal, I'm not sure who is. James is a great running back, but he's battled a lot of injuries and Shaun Alexander is several years older than Jones. I just don't see this one happening. But thanks for writing. Didn't mean to snap at you!

conner01: i think spears is a guy who bill will love.he gets him closer to his 3-4.what do you think of the chances and spears?

Matt Mosley: I've always had Marcus Spears pretty high on my board. OK, I don't really have a board. But my good friend Rick Gosselin has a pretty solid one, and he likes Spears at No. 20. I think Spears could play in the 4-3 or the 3-4. He's a powerful guy. I think you're onto something.

markus: How will Jeff Ireland impact this draft and can we expect the results of his leadership to bring change to the effectiveness of the scouting dept?

Matt Mosley: The director of scouting needs to be someone who is incredibly organized. That's why I would be the worst director of scouting in the history football. I think Ireland has the guts to push back on Bill Parcells. And that's a good thing. But I'd be remiss not to mention that Ireland will never, never, never overcome the stigma of having forfeited my university's chance at a national championship in 1991. Thanks for sticking around folks. You've been great. I'll be back soon.