[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikes trading up?

Swiss Cheezhead

This from www.profootballtalk.com:

POSTED 7:36 a.m. EDT, April 16, 2005

VIKES TRYING TO MOVE UP?

Word is that the Minnesota Vikings are trying to make a move into the top end of the draft in order to get their hooks into Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards or USC receiver Mike Williams.

The Vikes, we hear, are offering their two first-round picks -- No. 7 and No. 18 overall -- and they hope to get into the 1, 2, or 3 slot.

The 49ers might be the most interested in making the move, because it would allow them to draft Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle with the seventh pick (if the Titans don't at No. 6), and the Niners would then be able to address another of their various needs eleven spots later.

Based on the round one contract numbers from the past couple of seasons, it looks like it'd actually be cheaper for the Vikings to pay the No. 1 pick than to pay 7 and 18 together.  Also, since the Vikes have beefed up their defense through trades and free agency, they don't have a glaring need at any position that would justify a top-20 pick.

The biggest need, obviously, is at receiver, with the Vikings trading Randy Moss and, as a consequence, seeing their season ticket renewals drop to 90 percent.  And the problem is that, at No. 7, there's no guarantee that either Edwards or Williams will be on the board after the first six picks.

Not exactly the first time I've considered this possibility (as you might have noticed from my two mocks), but if PFT reports it, it's almost always because it's actually being discussed among NFL front-office types.

It is possible they trade up if they sign Kampman from Green Bay. I know they were looking at defense with one of their 1st round picks. If they do, Red or whoever shells out the cash only has to sign one 1st rounder and I hope its Braylon. I think he will be able to make an immediate impact this year.

Edited by Outshined

I bet the Fins would be licking their chops with the thought of two 1st rounders with them having so few picks this year. Man, they would still have a chance at a RB if the top three went QB, WR, QB and if the Bears and Bucs took RB's they would still have a shot at RB #3 if the Titans didn't take it at the 6 pick.

I don't see it happening but that would be a sweet deal if it worked for them.

If the Vikes take the best available, then they should be happy at 1.07. It all depends on how bad they want Edwards/Williams as their new receiver. There's no guarantee that either receiver will be available at 1.07. I don't think that Williamson will be available at 1.18 but Clayton and Roddy White should be. I don't know if either of those two will sell season tickets that the Vikes lost out on with no Moss.

Here's the thing, y'all: the Vikings no longer have any pressing needs. It hurts me to say that, as a Packers fan, but it's true.

According to the "standard" draft value chart (the one Gil Brandt posted on NFL.com last week), Minnesota's two 1st-rounders are roughly equal to Cleveland's #3 pick. If you consider Cleveland's strong desire to trade down AND Minnesota's lack of glaring needs, the trade from #7 to #3 makes a lot of sense.

I really like Roddy White, but Edwards and Williams are much safer WR prospects with just as much potential as White or any of the rest of the receivers. With Edwards or Williams, Vikings fans realize they're getting an immediate starter at Randy Moss's old position. If they were to draft somebody like Roddy White or Mark Clayton, there would be an immediate question as to whether they would be able to beat out Travis Taylor/Marcus Robinson for a starting role in training camp.

If I were in charge of Minnesota's "war room", this would be a no-brainer. I'd get my franchise wideout and I'd be able to draft for depth from rounds 2 through 7.

its going to be fun saturday. personally, i think we are going to see alot of action with trades and maneuvering. everything speculation at this point, but this seems pretty likely to happen. burleson/taylor/robinson isn't that bad a trio of wr's but not spectacular by any stretch of the means.

If I were in charge of Minnesota's "war room", this would be a no-brainer. I'd get my franchise wideout and I'd be able to draft for depth from rounds 2 through 7.

782032[/snapback]

I like the idea of drafting a Braylon Edwards. A while back I didn't like the idea of trading the #18 pick away, but now that they shored up the defense, I wouldn't mind if they picked a blue chip reciever. We do need someone to anchor the #1 spot for years to come.

KFAN had Paul Charchian (Fanball) on and he was indicating that the deal between SF and the Vikings would be #1 and #33 overall for the #7 and #18 overall. If the Vikings are going to trade up I could accept this deal easier than just trading our 2 #1's for a #1.

However, I think they need to stay pat and see what happens. If both receivers are gone try and trade down or take a RB and get rid of one or two of our current stable. Trading up for a WR makes no sense to me. We had one the top receivers in the league and didn't get to the superbowl. Why gamble on Edwards (who some people say "takes plays off already" or Williams who is not going to stretch the field and is basically a Keyshawn type receiver. We are not one player away from going to the SB so let's not make another Herchel Walker deal!

Apr. 18 - There were rumors over the weekend that the Vikings, who hold the seventh and 18th slots in the first round, were dangling those picks to San Francisco in an effort to acquire the draft's top pick. Minnesota officials declined to discuss those rumors. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli is hearing that Minnesota was trying to move up, but not necessarily into the No. 1 spot. The rumblings were that the Vikings were shooting for a top-five pick, perhaps the second (Miami) or third (Cleveland) choice overall, to ensure landing one of the premier wide receiver prospects.

The feeling is that the Minnesota brass prefers Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards over Mike Williams of Southern California. A deal-up with either the Dolphins or Browns might make more sense. According to the points system that most teams use, and which assigns a value to every pick in the draft, Minnesota doesn't have enough ammunition, at least not with its two first-round choices, to land the top pick.

The seventh pick in the draft is worth 1,500 points and the 18th spot carries a value of 800 points. That's 2,400 total points. The top choice is valued at 3,000 points. So, if Minnesota and San Francisco were to swap, the deal would have to be sweetened. On the other hand, the Miami pick, second overall, is worth 2,600 points. The third pick, held by the Browns, is worth 2,200 points. So a trade with those teams is certainly possible.

(from espn) the reliance on those dumb charts doesn't make any sense to me. espcially at the top of the first round, where the value can vary so much from year to year.

Here's the thing, y'all: the Vikings no longer have any pressing needs. It hurts me to say that, as a Packers fan, but it's true.

782032[/snapback]

As a Vikings fan, I'd beg to differ. Nate Burleson, Marcus Robinson, and Travis Taylor will not strike fear into the heart of many secondaries. Despite a solid rushing attack, if WR's can't force people into coverage, their offense will struggle.

We had one the top receivers in the league and didn't get to the superbowl.  Why gamble on Edwards (who some people say "takes plays off already" or Williams who is not going to stretch the field and is basically a Keyshawn type receiver.  We are not one player away from going to the SB so let's not make another Herchel Walker deal!

782459[/snapback]

OK, a few things here. Moss was one of the reasons the Vikes won. Without him they would have been much less successful. The reason the Vikes didn't get to the SuperBowl had to do with the defense that was in place during Moss' tenure, not with Moss himself. Moss gave them opportunites to win. They need a big play WR to offer the offense that same dynamic. The Vikes running game will suffer unless they can replace Moss, and the three they have there now are not the answer.

I would rather have a big time D 3 mediocre wr's and a great running game than a team that can score 27 points a game and give up 28...

If they draft a wr this year he/ she will not help until about 3 years from now.. We got ride of one guy who takes plays off why do we need another( like they are saying about Edwards)... run the dam ball :D

Just had a thought (which can be dangerous)...

Would:

1) MIN trade up to #1 and take Ronnie Brown (or whichever RB MIA most wants) in front of MIA

2) MIN trade one (or two) of their RBs to MIA for Surtain (the only defensive player of note that is on MIAs trading block), thereby allowing

3) MIA to take the WR or QB of their choice and have a pretty decent 'backup plan' in case Ricky flakes out again?

I would rather have a big time D 3 mediocre wr's and a great running game  than a team that can score 27 points a game and give up 28...

If  they draft a wr this year he/ she will not help until about 3 years from now.. We got ride of one guy who takes plays off why do we need another( like they are saying about Edwards)... run the dam ball :D

782540[/snapback]

Except for the fact that if you can't throw the ball then team can and will focus on the running game leading to an average rushing attack who's D is on the field all the time. A group of average at best receivers does not mean the offense will be able to continue to move the football.

I would rather have a big time D 3 mediocre wr's and a great running game  than a team that can score 27 points a game and give up 28...

If  they draft a wr this year he/ she will not help until about 3 years from now.. We got ride of one guy who takes plays off why do we need another( like they are saying about Edwards)... run the dam ball :D

782540[/snapback]

i think i agree with cornholeius. a rookie WR probably isn't going to make or break any team that has a chance to win a lot THIS year. if i'm the vikes GM i probably stand pat and maybe take rolle at 7 and clayton at 18. i'm not entirely convinced clayton doesn't end up being the best receiver to come out of this draft anyway.

Except for the fact that if you can't throw the ball then team can and will focus on the running game leading to an average rushing attack who's D is on the field all the time.  A group of average at best receivers does not mean the offense will be able to continue to move the football.

782595[/snapback]

i give fumbleena culpecker a littel more credit.... how many stud wr were on the last 6 super bowl winning teams. one

i think i agree with cornholeius.  a rookie WR probably isn't going to make or break any team that has a chance to win a lot THIS year.  if i'm the vikes GM i probably stand pat and maybe take rolle at 7 and clayton at 18.  i'm not entirely convinced clayton doesn't end up being the best receiver to come out of this draft anyway.

782625[/snapback]

i could see that happen