[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GBN Mock

spain

http://www.gbnreport.com/2005projection.htm

First round 1 San Francisco *Aaron Rodgers

QB

California

49ers would dearly love to trade down, however, aren't likely to find any takers.. Rodgers isn't necessarily the top prosepct on the board, but gives SF the best chance of finding a starter from day one at the position

2 Miami Ronnie Brown

RB

Auburn

Like the 49ers, the Dolphins want to trade down, but also aren't likely to find a dance partner...Brown is the anti-Ricky; a tough runner who will show up; he's also a terrific receiver

3 Minnesota (from Cleveland) Braylon Edwards

WR

Michigan

Vikes need to find a replacement for the departed Randy Moss, but could actually miss out on the big three WRs if they stay at #7... Browns will get shot at same players at #3 or 7

4 Tampa Bay (from Chicago) *Mike Williams

WR

Southern California

Bears and Bucs do the hokey pokey that ensures both teams get the guy they want...Bucs' Jon Gruden has made no secret about how much he likes SC's Williams a 'freakish playmaker'

5 Chicago (from Tampa Bay) Cedric Benson

RB

Texas

Benson isn't a burner and brings some character issues top the table; however, he's the type of back you can give the ball to 25-30 times a game and forget it

6 San Diego (from Tennessee) *Troy Williamson

WR

South Carolina

Chargers need a big-play WR to complete picture in team revival and won't get one of the top three down at #12...4.3 40 time at combine got the other SC's Williamson rocketing up value board's around the NFL

7 Cleveland (from Oakland thru Minnesota) *Shawn Merriman

LB

Maryland

QB Alex Smith could also factor in for Browns at #3 or #7, but Merriman gives defensive guru Romeo Crennel disruptive edge rusher to rebuild defense around

8 Arizona *Alex Smith

QB

Utah

Kurt Warner is a decent stop-gap measure, but surely Dennis Green won't pass on his good fortune if a potential franchise type QB like Smith falls in lap; RB Carnell Williams or one of the CBs will be tempting tough

9 Washington *Adam Jones

CB

West Virginia

Jones will be perfect tonic for Redskins to repair secondary which has lost outstanding cover corners Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot this past couple of years

10 Detroit Derrick Johnson

LB

Texas

Lions are sitting pretty at #10 and should get a look at a number of quality prospects who can come in and help risimg franchise... OT Alex Barron, TE Heath Miller or one of the top remaining CBs would also be in the mix,... Johnson will combine with Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman to give Lions one of most athletic LB trios in NFL

11 Kansas City (from Dallas) Antel Rolle

CB

Miami

Kansas City needs help big-time at corner and hope to acquire either Patrick Surtain in trade with Dolphins or by signing injured vet Ty Law; for now, though, a move up to get Rolle, a tough, physical cover corner might be good Plan B

12 Tennessee (from NY Giants thru San Diego) Alex Barron

OT

Florida State

Titans need replacement for venearble Brad Hopkins whose been around since high tops; move down makes sense because Barron would be a reach at #6; CB Rogers good fall back if Barron goes to Detroit or Dallas

13 Houston Carnell Williams

RB

Auburn

Texans looking at CB and pass rush help, but real feature back like Williams may be just too hard to pass up.

14 Carolina Matt Jones

WR

Arkansas

Somebody is going to jump on Jones early; why not the Panthers who lost Mushin Muhmmad to free agency

15 Dallas (from Kansas City) Demarcus Ware

OLB

Troy State

New Parcells' 3-4 defense needs explosive edge rusher in Lawrence Taylor mold to really work; Ware is raw but has super quick first step

16 New Orleans Carlos Rogers

CB

Auburn

Defense, defense, defense is key in Saints' draft plans; DT Travis Johnson would be fcator here too

17 Cincinnati Erasmus James

DE

Wisconsin

Improved pass rush is Bengals main goal at 2005 draft and Badgers' James is one of the best despite lack of pure footspeed

18 Minnesota David Pollack

DE

Georgia

Pollack isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but he'll be a nice fit on a team where DT firm of Williams and Williams will occupy so much attention

19 Philadelphi (from St. Louis) Luis Castillo

DT

Northwestern

Eagles always move up so why not this year when they have a passel of extra picks; jump in ahead of divison rival Cowboys to take one of draft's rising stars

20 Dallas (from Buffalo) Shaun Cody

DE

Southern California

DT/DE tweener will be nice fit as 3-4 DE

21 Jacksonville *Justin Miller

CB

Clemson

Speedy Miller, who also returns kicks, addresses team's biggest need for solid cover corner; OU WR Mark Clayotn could also be in mix

22 Baltimore Travis Johnson

DT

Florida State

Bit of baggage drops rugged DT down a couple of spots; nice personal protector for Ray Lewis in new 4-3 defense

23 Cleveland (from Seattle) Charlie Frye

QB

Akron Browns use some of the profit from earlier Vikings' deal to jump ahead of Packers to get QB of the future; the fact that Frye is a local kid should also help to keep the dawg pound in check for a while

24 Indianapolis (from Green Bay) Marcus Spears

DE

LSU

Colts looking for complimentary DE with size to take some of the heat off Dwight Freeney

25 Denver *Fabian Washington

CB

Nebraska

DL help (hopefully) came from Cleveland; Huskers supply speed at corner

26 New York Jets Mark Clayton

WR

Oklahoma

Clayton should go much higher, but today he didn't; nice target for QB Chad Pennington who can make things happen after he catches the ball

27 Atlanta Khalif Barnes

OT

Washington

A little personal protection for company VIP Vick

28 San Diego *Justin Tuck

DE

Notre Dame

Maybe more of a 4-3 type DE, but Tuck brings pass rush potential Charger defense desperately needs

29 Green Bay (from Indianapolis) Matt Roth

DE Iowa

With Charlie Frye off the board, Packers look to add a piece to D puzzle to give Brett one more run at a title

30 Pittsburgh *Heath Miller

TE

Virginia Another player who probably will go much higher but just didn't; nice underneath target for young QB Ben Roethlisberger

31 St. Louis (from Philadelphia) Dan Cody

DE

Okalhoma

Has some questions, but should make decent complimentary pass rush to support Leonard Little

32 New England Reggie Brown

WR

Georgia

Patriot type WR; not flashy, but quick smart and steady

When is this mock from?  No way Catillo even sniffs the first DAY, left alone round, with his steroid admission.

781694[/snapback]

The guys on the NFL Network have him as a first or early second rounder. I was listening to The Huddle on my XM box yesterday and those guys have him going in the first round as well.

I like the scenario for GB. They trade down, get a DE, still get Poole in the second (will he drop that far?), and get another 2nd Rd pick (for a total of 3). Not sure that with that extra pick in the 2nd they would pass on Campbell if he is still available. Is this Seward kid really 2nd round material? Overall I like the idea of them acquiring as many first day picks as possible.

You don't know what you're talking about.

781703[/snapback]

The guys on the NFL Network have him as a first or early second rounder.  I was listening to The Huddle on my XM box yesterday and those guys have him going in the first round as well.

781714[/snapback]

With all of the national scrutiny on steriods, I find it very hard to believe that an NFL team is going to risk a first or second round pick on a guy who has openly admitted to using. Maybe you two know more than I do, but I'll believe it when I see it.

With all of the national scrutiny on steriods, I find it very hard to believe that an NFL team is going to risk a first or second round pick on a guy who has openly admitted to using.  Maybe you two know more than I do, but I'll believe it when I see it.

782386[/snapback]

You're gonna see it this Saturday.

With all of the national scrutiny on steriods, I find it very hard to believe that an NFL team is going to risk a first or second round pick on a guy who has openly admitted to using.  Maybe you two know more than I do, but I'll believe it when I see it.

782386[/snapback]

he came out and admitted he used the steroids to recover more quickly from an injury so he could fully participate in the combine. Historically,N'western isn't a program that turns and looks the other way when players use steroids. He came into school weighing 275 and now weighs 305. that's not much of a gain in 4 years. Teams are sold on him and will gladly take him at the top of round 2

he came out and admitted he used the steroids to recover more quickly from an injury so he could fully participate in the combine.  Historically,N'western isn't a program that turns and looks the other way when players use steroids.  He came into school weighing 275 and now weighs 305.  that's not much of a gain in 4 years.  Teams are sold on him and will gladly take him at the top of round 2

783812[/snapback]

Most of the mocks that I've seen have this kid going in the mid to late first round. The steroid thing might drop him to the second.

When is this mock from?  No way Catillo even sniffs the first DAY, left alone round, with his steroid admission.

781694[/snapback]

From KFFL

Coming to light less than 24 hours before the four positive Josh Gordon tests, news broke that Northwestern DT Luis Castillo sent a letter to all 32 NFL teams to notify them of his admission of using steroids after the 2004 season. Per national reports, Castillo tested positive at the combine for androstene, a substance that is not technically a steroid, but is banned under the NFL Substance-Abuse Policy.

Castillo claimed he was frustrated with the progress he was making during his rehabilitation of his injured elbow, so he used steroids to help speed up the healing process. Northwestern head coach Randy Walker also sent a letter to each team stating Castillo never once tested positive for any banned substances at the collegiate level.

In an interesting twist, Castillo said he would refund his signing bonus to the team that drafts him if he ever tests positive in the NFL for steroids.

Not only does he gain some bargaining leverage with his signing bonus, Castillo has not harmed his draft stock very much, according to several draft insiders KFFL spoke with. In fact, one insider noted Castillo's candor is just shy of commendable, as Castillo showed he has an understanding of taking responsibility of his actions. Others have viewed Castillo's admission of guilt as an attempt to curtail any negative ramifications from the positive test during the combine.

At the end of the day, expect Castillo to remain a lock for the second round of the draft, with an outside chance of being a very late first-round selection.

From KFFL

Coming to light less than 24 hours before the four positive Josh Gordon tests, news broke that Northwestern DT Luis Castillo sent a letter to all 32 NFL teams to notify them of his admission of using steroids after the 2004 season. Per national reports, Castillo tested positive at the combine for androstene, a substance that is not technically a steroid, but is banned under the NFL Substance-Abuse Policy.

Castillo claimed he was frustrated with the progress he was making during his rehabilitation of his injured elbow, so he used steroids to help speed up the healing process. Northwestern head coach Randy Walker also sent a letter to each team stating Castillo never once tested positive for any banned substances at the collegiate level.

In an interesting twist, Castillo said he would refund his signing bonus to the team that drafts him if he ever tests positive in the NFL for steroids.

Not only does he gain some bargaining leverage with his signing bonus, Castillo has not harmed his draft stock very much, according to several draft insiders KFFL spoke with. In fact, one insider noted Castillo's candor is just shy of commendable, as Castillo showed he has an understanding of taking responsibility of his actions. Others have viewed Castillo's admission of guilt as an attempt to curtail any negative ramifications from the positive test during the combine.

At the end of the day, expect Castillo to remain a lock for the second round of the draft, with an outside chance of being a very late first-round selection.

783974[/snapback]

Hmmm...not what I heard when this first broke, but apparently it didn't damage the guy that much. Interesting.