[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets trade for tight end

geeteebee

You guys don't have the whole story.

In addition to Jolley, the Jets got a second-round pick this year, the 47th selection overall, and a pair of sixth-round picks. The Raiders also got a seventh-round pick from the Jets.

So the Jets moved back 21 spots, get Jolley, and two 6th rounders. I'd have done the same.

You guys don't have the whole story.

In addition to Jolley, the Jets got a second-round pick this year, the 47th selection overall, and a pair of sixth-round picks. The Raiders also got a seventh-round pick from the Jets.

So the Jets moved back 21 spots, get Jolley, and two 6th rounders. I'd have done the same.

787404[/snapback]

Yeah. No thanks. I'd of kept the 26th pick. Especially since I don't know who might be there. Maybe I'd make this trade on draft day, but you never know who might be falling on draft day.

Two sixths=jack $hit

Edited by CaptainHook

Second round picks usually sign 3 year deals. Late first rounders usually sign 5 year deals. If you've done you homework, it's better to sign a good late-first-rounder than a great second-rounder. They don't become a UFA as fast. No new contract for 5 years instead of 3.

Edited by CaptainHook

Are you kidding me?  The Raiders just got a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley?  What were the Jets thinking.  I can't wait to see the players that are available when that pick comes up.  Bad, bad move in my opinion.

787659[/snapback]

No kidding

Jolley, a second-round draft pick out of BYU in 2002, had 27 catches for 313 yards and two touchdowns last season. In 47 career games, Jolley has 90 catches for 972 yards and five scores.

A second round pick who has been a marginal player at best is worth a 1st rounder? I know this is one of the weaker drafts in recent memory but come on. I agree with CaptainHook. If I'm going to do this deal, I'm waiting until draft day to see who is available at #26.

No kidding

A second round pick who has been a marginal player at best is worth a 1st rounder?  I know this is one of the weaker drafts in recent memory but come on.  I agree with CaptainHook.  If I'm going to do this deal, I'm waiting until draft day to see who is available at #26.

787673[/snapback]

90 catchs for 972 yds and 5 scores. The Jets just picked up Freddie Mitchell to play tight end! :D

Jolley is a serviceable TE and I think it is a little shortsighted to state that the Jets gave up a first for Jolley since they received a second in return and while this draft may not be the strongest it certainly is deeper than some recent years.

For the Raiders this deal made a world of sense. They need defensive help and have themselves in a position to draft Marlin Jackson in the first round.

Hold on, guys...

I believe the trade to be:

NYJ sends: 1st and 7th rounders

OAK sends: 2nd and two 6th rounders and Doug Jolley

...or something like that...

It most definately is NOT Jolley for their 1st.

Hold on, guys...

I believe the trade to be:

NYJ sends: 1st and 7th rounders

OAK sends: 2nd and two 6th rounders and Doug Jolley

...or something like that...

It most definately is NOT Jolley for their 1st.

787932[/snapback]

Yea, that looks right, but this is still a coup for the Raiders. They get Moss and now have their first round pick back! In a draft where everyone is looking to trade down based on the lack of firepower at the top and tremendous depth as you move down, giving up an average TE to get back into the first round is a no brainer.

Yeah.  No thanks.  I'd of kept the 26th pick.  Especially since I don't know who might be there.  Maybe I'd make this trade on draft day, but you never know who might be falling on draft day.

Two sixths=jack $hit

787409[/snapback]

Tom Brady = 6th round pick

Terrell Davis = 6th (or maybe even 7th) round pick

You never know...

EDIT: Also, for people that watch college football and pay lots of attention to these things, this is a weak draft class. The 26th pick in this draft might not be as good as Doug Jolley.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Tom Brady = 6th round pick

Terrell Davis = 6th (or maybe even 7th) round pick

You never know...

EDIT:  Also, for people that watch college football and pay lots of attention to these things, this is a weak draft class.  The 26th pick in this draft might not be as good as Doug Jolley.

787954[/snapback]

I wouldn't describe it as weak, but, as weak at the top but pretty deep...meaning many guys taken at the top of the second will be as good as the guys taken at the bottom of the 3rd...but, there aren't many/any guys worth trying to move from #25 to #10 for...

I still don't like it, but, I wasn't shocked either, for several reasons. The Jets think they have Dyson just about signed, and they don't like Marlin Jackson or Fabian Washington, at least not as 1st round picks. They don't think Heath Miller will fall, and are concerned about this sports hernia he has. They also don't think Alex Smith (the TE) is a first round pick, and Bradway has been saying all along that they felt there were only 18 or so "legitimate" first rounders in this year's draft. So, they get Jolley for moving back 21 spots in the draft, where they feel there is just about as much value in terms of player potential as there is at 27 overall. From Bradway's viewpoint, he doesnt lose much in dropping 21 spots, and he gets a TE out of the deal.

If Teyo Johnson was all that, how come there were rumors he might even get cut last year? I thought he was going to be the next Gonzo, but Gates took that monicker. The Raider brass was whining about Johnson early last year, as I recall. What I don't know is whether or not Jolley is any good. His numbers are lousy, but that doesn't have to mean he's a lousy recieving TE either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Oakland hasn't targeted TE's much in thier offense, as far as I know. One thing for sure, he has to be better than Chris Baker.