[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Panthers sign Chris Draft

WaterMan

Panthers: Draft signs

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Thursday, April 21, 2005

News

Free agent linebacker Chris Draft signed with the Panthers on Wednesday, according to the Charlotte Observer. Terms of the deal have not been disclosed. Draft was released by the Falcons earlier this month after the team signed free agent Edgerton Hartwell. Draft started 13 games last season and finished the year with 81 tackles.

Views

The Panthers added some linebacker depth by signing the five-year veteran, who will likely serve as insurance for starter Mark Fields, who missed the 2003 season with Hodgkin's disease.

Panthers: Jones signs one-year deal

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

News

The Panthers signed free agent tight end Freddie Jones to a one-year contract on Tuesday. The deal is worth $690,000 and includes a $25,000 signing bonus, according to the Charlotte Observer. Jones will compete with Kris Mangum for the starting job during training camp. The eight-year veteran logged 45 receptions for 426 yards and two touchdowns with the Cardinals last season.

Views

Freddie figures to be the featured tight end in the passing game, as Mangum is more of a blocker than a receiver. As such, it appears Jones will be the better fantasy option heading into training camp.

I hope they use Freddie Jones. They certainly didn't overpay him... :D

Freddie can be a great 2nd or 3rd receiver, and he makes for great mismatches and 1st down opportunities. San Diego used him like hell for one season, and some of the pathetic Arizona QBs knew how to use him.

Hopefully Delhomme and him strike up a friendship.

Good moves by the Panthers IMO. I like them getting a FA from the Falcons D. Any insight would be helpful. Since the Panthers have been the Falcons beotch in the recent years.

Jones is a huge upgrade over the current options of Mangum, Seidman, and Gaines. Jake should enjoy Freddie in the red zone.

I listened to GM Marty Hurney on the radio this morning, and he wouldn't give up too much info, but he did admit they were targeting OFFENSE in the eary rounds. He also said he did not expect Benson to make it out of the top 10. Hmmm. He did stress that OL is a target position in the draft, but they will still take the best player available at the 14 spot.

Good moves  by the Panthers IMO. I like them getting a FA from the Falcons D. Any insight would be helpful. Since the Panthers have been the Falcons beotch in the recent years.

Jones is a huge upgrade over the current options of Mangum, Seidman, and Gaines. Jake should enjoy Freddie in the red zone.

I listened to GM Marty Hurney on the radio this morning, and he wouldn't give up too much info, but he did admit they were targeting OFFENSE in the eary rounds. He also said he did not expect Benson to make it out of the top 10. Hmmm.  He did stress that OL is a target position in the draft, but they will still take the best player available at the 14 spot.

788184[/snapback]

Thanks for the insight from Hurney this morning. I moved from Charlotte to W-S back in August and I mess the Morning Sports Page and Prime Time and the insights that Gary W. and Packer had from their contacts with the team. :D

Unfortunately, their signal is not quite strong enough to reach me here, so I miss out on the Panthers insights... Keep me in mind with a PM if you here anything of particular interest to note. :D

Edited by PSULions