[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

San Diego drafts for need!

McBoog

As a Bolt fan, the biggest frustration over the last few years was to watch Seau get old and “lose it” and see Rodney Harrison released to the wind.

These two players brought so much more to the table than their skill and leadership. They also brought a huge plate of nasty as well. The Chargers have improved and we will see if it was a fluke last year. With their schedule, I don’t see another 12 win season, but who knows, maybe they have found the formula. I see them as very similar to the Patriot model right now. Forget the stopwatch, just give me some football players!

I have seen some of the talking heads and their evaluation of the Chargers draft. For the first time in eons, my Bolts did not have to draft for need at every position. There were a couple things they needed to address and came away HUGE in the first round. Shawne Merriman brings something that the Chargers defense has not had since Jr and Rodney’s departure. With the 12th pick in the 2005 NFL draft, the Chargers got their NASTY back!

He is also not reaaal happy with the Cowfolk 'bout now either! See the link!

Check out the highlight video; this guy is a stud....

Shawnemerriman.com

To call him an over weight LB is ridicules. Is Willie McGinest over weight? He plays at the same size Merriman does. How about Adalius Thomas or Jeremiah Trotter? First of all he is a hybrid player, which means he is going to play end and LB, they need to be that big and the fact that he runs a 4.6 is scary. I don’t know if you watched any college football this season, but ot call him unheard of is completely off base. The guy was a star in college, come on. Don't just bash a player because the Cowboys passed on him. I mean remember the Cowboys also signed Wiley, they clearly haven’t a clue about DE's.

Edited by Hurricane Ditka

Merriman definitely has the potential to be a stud in the NFL. I'm also pleased with the selection of Sproles. The rest of the picks made me feel like Bobby Beathard was running the draft again with the selection of Castillo, Jackson, and the three "O" lineman. We'll see how those picks pan out!

Hes an overweight 270 lb LB who was basically unheard of until the combine and the Cowboys started talking him up hoping other teams would take him ahead of them.

You a Cowboy fan? :D

9% body fat is not overweight. Look at the guy. He is naturally that big! The kid is a freak!

He was getting propped before the combine. Only the stopwatch crowd got excited about him at the combine. The rest of us have been watching the kid for a while now :D

:D

Hes an overweight 270 lb LB who was basically unheard of until the combine and the Cowboys started talking him up hoping other teams would take him ahead of them.  This guy looks stiff out there and without the combine ala workout warrier,  may have landed in the 2nd round somewhere. 

Dallas would have taken Spears or D Johnson if Ware was gone over Merriman.  Do you really think they are going to tell everyone their true intentions before draft day.  Hell I heard this guy leaked to the media he was going to be a Cowboy after talking to Jones and Parcells.  Its a shame they had to school the kid to prevent other teams to know ware was the guy they coveted most.

792865[/snapback]

:D:D More likely that Parcells is trying to save face again by leaking this kind of nonsense now to discredit the kid after somebody else took him!!

I'm not sure what player everyone else has been watching, but the highlight videos I've seen of Merriman show a stong, fast defensive player who likes to hit people. What more could you want?? :D

Look in that film clip.  Few  plays vs Miami, Va Tech, Fla St.  Also, Merriman was 245 in college and is now 270.  Lets see how this translates on the field as a OLB.  Hes strong but Im not sure his tecchique will get him to the QB with a 300 lb OL in his face rushing the passer with one hand down or blitzing from the OLB position.  And yes I watched a lil college football this yr,  maybe you should check out the wars in the college football forum last yr.  We discussed what 20 games each Saturday.  Take of the blinders dude, you got a solid player at 1.12, but there is a reason teams ahead of him passed on him.  And Dallas got the true player they coveted, Ware.

792955[/snapback]

What confuses me is that you are blasting Merriman because the Cowboys drafted Ware. Just because your team passes on a player doesn’t mean they must be overrated. I do not remember the Cowboys being the best judges of talent in the league.

As for Harrison. The Chargers got rid of Harrison because we they years away from winning and we wanted to rebuild our defense with young players. It looks like they did an OK job of that, that is why we had the 28th pick in the draft Ohh yeah, let me know when the master drafters in Dallas will be drafting 28th or higher.

I'm not sure what player everyone else has been watching, but the highlight videos I've seen of Merriman show a stong, fast defensive player who likes to hit people. What more could you want??  :D

793295[/snapback]

He seems a little slow to cover the TE, which could be a problem if he's used at LB. Same concern I have with Ware. Watch the hilights from the Virginia game.

He seems a little slow to cover the TE, which could be a problem if he's used at LB.  Same concern I have with Ware.  Watch the hilights from the Virginia game.

794366[/snapback]

Remeber the Chargers also have Donnie Edwards, Steve Foley, Randell Godfrey and Ben Leber. Merrimen wont be alone out there and with the speed the some of the others have, i dont think it will be much of a problem. Then again who knows, its all a crap shot when it comes to the draft.

Edited by Hurricane Ditka

Remeber the Chargers also have Donnie Edwards, Steve Foley, Randell Godfrey and Ben Leber.  Merrimen wont be alone out there and with the speed the some of the others have, i dont think it will be much of a problem.  Then again who knows, its all a crap shot when it comes to the draft.

794492[/snapback]

Agreed and like I said I've got the same concerns about my new favorite player, Demarcus Ware, but Miller did punk him.

Edited by Clubfoothead

not saying you're wrong, here, but it's funny you'd say that while bragging up a pick who has a reputation as a workout warrior, and whose stock went way up at the combine :D

792950[/snapback]

What I was really focused on was the attitude the kid brings to the field. He has the gifts, true, but what excited me about him as opposed to other qualiuty picks at that point was the "nasty" the guy brings to the turf. The San Diego D was scrappy, hard nosed and tough, but has lacked the nasty. HOPEFULLY, this kid will bring back what was lost when Seau and Harrison left.

I have 3 year old twins and a 3 week old in the house and admit to being a bit behind the curve this year. Maybe I missed something, but I'm sure I was hearing about this kid all season, not just from the combine and I didn't get a lot of college ball in. :D

Agreed and like I said I've got the same concerns about my new favorite player, Demarcus Ware, but Miller did punk him.

794607[/snapback]

... oh yeah and Ware played against some REAL tough competition in college. :D

Miller's a stud TE... Merriman got punked. Miller will punk many an NFL LB in the next 10 years. Write it down. He's Shockey without the 'tude. Gonzo without the pure athletic freakiness. Think Witten with a little more athleticism. Great pick by the Steel Nation.

Merriman's gonna be a solid addition to the Bolt defense. They have a host of solid LBs and Merriman will be a fine 4th LB and rush end. No worries about that... pretty good pick.

All this talk that Merriman isn't all that and then fellas shooting back that Ware played weak competition....blah,blah,blah. It all just makes me feel better about the Lions taking Williams at number ten. All the DEs graded out close to eachother and none as real studs so taking Williams was the smart move by the Motor City Kitties.

All this talk that Merriman isn't all that and then fellas shooting back that Ware played weak competition....blah,blah,blah. It all just makes me feel better about the Lions taking Williams at number ten. All the DEs graded out close to eachother and none as real studs so taking Williams was the smart move by the Motor City Kitties.

795004[/snapback]

:D:D:D

The question was wich one would be the studliest! This was the draft to need D-Line. All of these guys are project to be long term quality pros.

The "Motor City Kitties" were MORONS. No O-line, no QB and no RB or running game to keep Ds honest. :D

:D  :D  :D

The question was wich one would be the studliest!  This was the draft to need D-Line.  All of these guys are project to be long term quality pros.

The "Motor City Kitties" were MORONS.  No O-line, no QB and no RB or running game to keep Ds honest.  :D

795439[/snapback]

I agree, the Lions made the wrong pick. They needed a whole lot elsewhere to go out and make a pick like that. They have great WR and a good RB. Why not get something on the line or upgrade the D. I think we saw last season what a team does with all offense not any defense, just asks KC fans how much fun it was to score all those points only to lose 45-42 every week.