[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great line about Cedric Benson

Guest Sores

Guest Sores

Here's a great line for Mike Mulligan of The Chicago Sun-Times regarding RB Ced-Ben's boo-hooing about the harshness of the screening process in which teams engage when deciding which players will become instant millionaires:

"If you don't want people questioning your character, don't get arrested. Twice."

I don't see anything negative about Benson getting emotional. darn, his life long dream was realized. I like the emotion he showed. It probably hit him that all of the hard work he put in, has finally paid off. I was was much more impressed with him shedding a few tears than Eli whining last seaon, because he didn't want to play for a second rate team like the Chargers! It's called passion, man, passion!

Edited by Gators

I don't see anything negative about Benson getting emotional. darn, his life long dream was realized. I like the emotion he showed. It probably hit him that all of the hard work he put in, has finally paid off.  I was was much more impressed with him shedding a few tears than Eli whining last seaon, because he didn't want to play for a second rate team like the Chargers!  It's called passion, man, passion!

793353[/snapback]

ditto

Here's a great line for Mike Mulligan of The Chicago Sun-Times regarding RB Ced-Ben's boo-hooing about the harshness of the screening process in which teams engage when deciding which players will become instant millionaires: 

"If you don't want people questioning your character, don't get arrested.  Twice."

793059[/snapback]

:D:D

Peter King put it nicely, too.

"And he railed at the media and the NFL establishment for comparing him so endlessly to Ricky Williams, like we all were some sort of racial profilers. Let's see. Williams is 5-10 and 228. Benson is 5-10 1/2 and 222. Williams runs with powerful leg drive and has enough escapability to be dangerous. Ditto Benson. Williams admits that he has smoked Josh Gordon. Benson was cited but never convicted on a college Josh Gordon charge. Williams went to Texas. Benson went to Texas. Williams was a Major League Baseball draftee and played minor-league ball. Benson was a Major League Baseball draftee and played minor-league ball. Gee. I wonder why we're all comparing Benson to Williams? How strange."

Mulligan is a jagoff. Big Effin' Deal he got arrested twice - and for really, really minor stuff. How many people on this board were arrested twice before they got out of college?

Oh - and what percentage of collegiate athletes do you think smoked pot a few times? Regularly? But we're supposed to make a big deal about him getting caught once?

Edited by TheCMB

Mulligan is a jagoff.  Big Effin' Deal he got arrested twice - and for really, really minor stuff.  How many people on this board were arrested twice before they got out of college?

Oh - and what percentage of collegiate athletes do you think smoked pot a few times?  Regularly?  But we're supposed to make a big deal about him getting caught once?

793552[/snapback]

Wow, I managed to graduate without being arrested even once. I must have been doing something wrong. :D

Wow, I managed to graduate without being arrested even once. I must have been doing something wrong. :D

793667[/snapback]

:D Indeed. But there is something about major college football programs that breeds this sort of "well it was only a minor crime" or "well it was only some illegal drug use" .... used to be Miami ... now it seems SC and Tenn are battling for a spot in the Legal Aid Bowl ...

793667[/snapback]

You can break and awful lot of laws... and do an awful lot of crazy crap... without getting arrested. God knows I did.

I never got arrested either. The kids I knew who got arrested deserved it... :D

Yeah but Ricky quit on his team and his friends. He put his teammates, coaching staff and employer in a horrible situation. They were all depending on him and he turn his back on them...I would be pissed if I was compared to a quitter.

Maybe some of you should pull your heads out and think about why being compared to a quitter might piss someone off.

Yeah but Ricky quit on his team and his friends.  He put his teammates, coaching staff and employer in a horrible situation.  They were all depending on him and he turn his back on them...I would be pissed if I was compared to a quitter. 

Maybe some of you should pull your heads out and think about why being compared to a quitter might piss someone off.

795194[/snapback]

That and the fact that Cedric is a better RB than Ricky was.

"If you don't want people questioning your character, don't get arrested.  Twice."

793059[/snapback]

I think the line is pretty darn funny. But don't take it too seriously. These guys make a living writing lines like this.

If I were Benson, I'd just keep my mouth shut and let it all out on the field. The media eats this kind of stuff right up, and Benson's comments about the process and the comparisons only made it worse for him. IMO, the best way to distance himself from the Ricky comparisons is by dominating on the field and being a team player.

I thought his interview immediately after being drafted was just plain disturbing. He was emotional but why was he emotional? All that spewed out of his mouth was whining about getting grilled by teams, how he cut his hair to show he was serious, how he was not Ricky Williams. I hate to say but this is what I believe to be is more typical than not of the catered and pandered young athlete. He should have been replying how glad he was, possibly how beat down the pre-draft process was but would show why he was drafted high, he's going to buy a house for his mom, thank the Bears for their belief, you know some good ol' player speak.

Anyway, if this guy can adjust to growing up I think he is in a good situation. This is the perfect type running back for playing in Chicago and is a guy that you won't pull the ball out of his hands when you get close to the goal line. Could make a very nice fantasy player in the very near future...just needs to grow up a lot quickly.