[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Javon Walker may hold out

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_20798681.shtml

There appears to be a chance receiver Javon Walker will skip the Green Bay Packers’ minicamp this week to protest his current contract status.

The Packers’ one mandatory minicamp for this offseason runs Friday through Sunday, though the team’s veterans have a voluntary minicamp for which they reported Tuesday and will begin practice this morning.

On Tuesday afternoon, there was no clear sign that Walker had reported or was planning to. He has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2002, and with salaries of $515,000 this year and $650,000 in 2006, Walker thinks he’s outperformed that deal after going to the Pro Bowl last season.

This offseason he hired agent Drew Rosenhaus, who’s gained a reputation for getting players new contracts or traded from teams where they’ve been unhappy, including former Packers cornerback Mike McKenzie last year.

Walker wouldn’t officially be a holdout until Friday, when the mandatory camp begins, but coach Mike Sherman expects all veterans at today’s voluntary practice unless otherwise excused.

General Manager Ted Thompson said he didn’t know whether Walker reported to minicamp Tuesday. When asked if he knows whether Walker will report this week, Thompson left open the possibility the receiver will be a no-show.

“I wouldn’t care to speculate,” Thompson said. “I spoke with Drew (Rosenhaus) at the (NFL scouting) combine in Indianapolis. It was more of a sitting down and getting some background on Javon’s situation and how they switched agents, and Drew’s role in all that. It was kind of a getting-to-know-the-situation kind of meeting. That’s the extent of it.”

Tight end Bubba Franks also will not attend minicamp this week, but he’s not obligated to because he’s not under contract. The Packers have designated him a transition player, but he hasn’t signed that contract tender and is looking for a long-term deal either with the Packers or another team. Other NFL teams have until July 22 to sign Franks to an offer sheet, and the Packers then will have the right to match that deal. They’ll receive no compensation if they don’t.

Walker, though, is obligated to take part beginning Friday, even if he skips the voluntary practices today and Thursday. If he doesn’t attend, the Packers can fine him up to $1,000 a day under rules set by the NFL’s collective-bargaining agreement. Neither coach Mike Sherman nor Rosenhaus could be reached for comment about Walker.

The Packers traded up in the first round of the 2002 draft to select Walker, who had two relatively undistinguished seasons and then broke out for a Pro Bowl year in 2004. He finished last season third in the NFL in receiving yards (1,382) and tied for eighth in receptions (89).

In the offseason, he took a major step by firing agent David Ware, who negotiated his rookie contract, and hiring Rosenhaus, who’s becoming the agent for successful players who want new deals. Rosenhaus worked new contracts and in some instances trades for disgruntled players such as running back Clinton Portis, whom Rosenhaus got traded from Denver to Washington last year, and McKenzie, whom he got traded from the Packers to New Orleans.

This year, Rosenhaus has taken over representation for two other high-profile players, Philadelphia’s Terrell Owens and Washington’s Sean Taylor. Both reportedly might skip their teams’ minicamps in efforts to get new deals from their teams even though Owens is only one year into the seven-year contract he signed last offseason, and Taylor is only one year into his rookie deal as a first-round draft pick.

The Packers’ policy when Sherman doubled as general manager the past four years was that they won’t extend a player’s contract unless he has only one season remaining. The lone exception was quarterback Brett Favre, who signed a contract extension in 2001 even though his previous deal was to run through 2003.

Thompson wouldn’t say whether he has a similar policy.

“We never discuss contract negotiations, whether they’re in works or not in the works,” Thompson said.

Franks, in the meantime, hasn’t signed the transition tender because he’s looking for a long-term deal from the Packers or another team. He’s had no contract offers from another club thus far, so it’s looks highly unlikely that an offer will be forthcoming for the rest of the offseason.

Franks’ agent, Gene Mato, said he and Packers vice-president Andrew Brandt are far apart in their talks on a long-term deal. Mato suggested that Franks might sit out rather than play for the one-year transition tender of $2.095 million.

“It’s doubtful (he’d play for the tender), but you never know,” Mato said.

Franks excels as a blocker and red-zone receiver but isn’t the big-play threat that the league’s premier receiving tight ends represent. He appears to be looking to become one of the higher-paid tight ends in the NFL.

Late last season, Atlanta’s Alge Crumpler set the standard for the speed- and receiving-oriented tight ends when he signed a contract extension that included a $9 million. Minnesota’s Jim Kleinsasser, who is more of a blocking and short-area receiving tight end, was the Vikings’ franchise player last year and signed a long-term deal that included a bonus half that size, or $4.5 million bonus.

“Although we’re substantially apart, we’re hopeful we can get something worked sometime in the future,” Mato said. “Bubba’s intentions are to be a Packer, but we’re far apart right now, so we’ll see what happens.”

:D

Where's that Drew Rosenhaus voodoo doll? He probably does deserve a raise. I just wish Rosenhaus wasn't involved. Hopefully it won't drag on too long.

Does holding out ever work? I've never seen anyone either get the money they want, or move to another team and be as productive.

Galloway, McCardell, Keyshawn... all sucked after holding out. Bad advice from a stupid greedy agent.

Rosenhaus is also connected to the Rueben Droughns potential holdout situation, I believe. There should be some protection in place for players in regards to this guy. Especially guys like Walker. Didn't he score something like a 9 on the Wonderlic? We're not talking about a potential brain surgeon here. :D

Signed,

A disgruntled Walker and Droughns owner (though not in the same league)

Defense didnt get any better, lost your 2 best OL to RFA and drafted a QB in round 1 of the draft.  Does the Packers have anything to be thankful for.

795342[/snapback]

I didn't have a problem with the first pick. But other picks left me wondering what was going on.

Why they drafted 2 WRs? :D

795404[/snapback]

:D I was scratching my head too.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_20798681.shtml

:D

Where's that Drew Rosenhaus voodoo doll?  He probably does deserve a raise.  I just wish Rosenhaus wasn't involved.  Hopefully it won't drag on too long.

795108[/snapback]

Rosenhaus is really trying to kill some teams.  TO in Philly, Walker in GB, and I believe he is doing the same with some redskins or Ravens players.

796139[/snapback]

I hate rosenhaus, he is f'ing up the redskins by keeping Taylor and S Moss away.

796362[/snapback]

This guy is out of control, but the teams who negotiate with him are to blame. I would love to see these teams have the guts to say to a player "we won't negotiate with you as long as this guy is your agent". Walker is a good player and deserves to get paid, but I can't see anything but bad blood coming out of a hold-out.