[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Droughns Threatens Holdout

Big Score 1

Browns | Droughns Wants New Deal, Threatens Holdout - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:23:13 -0700

"Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns RB Reuben Droughns, who was acquired this year via a trade with the Denver Broncos, is seeking a new deal and is prepared to holdout if he does not receive one. "I started working out in Cleveland, and we had that [orientation camp]," Droughns said. "At that point, they told me that they did want to get a deal done. My agent [Drew Rosenhaus] gave them a proposal, but we heard nothing from them for at least 1½ weeks. I feel it's kind of unfair, but I'm sure something's going to get done. If not, we're prepared to hold out." Droughns, who is scheduled to make about $950,000 next season and $1 million in 2006, has left the team's offseason conditioning program."

And the Browns response

Browns | Droughns Not Promised New Contract - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:58:53 -0700

"Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns declined comment on RB Reuben Droughns' contract situation. A source noted Droughns is under contract and the team expects him to be at their full-squad June minicamp. The team did not promise him a new deal when they acquired him from the Denver Broncos."

I'm not sure if this is the best move for a guy new to the Team / Coaching staff and who has only produced for less than a full year during his NFL career to date.

I'll betcha' Suggs is licking his chops over this mess with Droughns.

Maybe he has realized that he's not in Denver anymore.  What, run behind this line?  ummm...I'm holding out.

797460[/snapback]

:D Yeah, he better have his disability and life insurance all paid up too!!

he's preparing to hold out. right now he's missing "voluntary" workouts. He won't be a holdout until June. then he'd be an idiot. Gotta take care of my family, he said. What self respecting RB who has under 400 carries in 6 seasons could get by and support his family for a measley 900 grand?

he's preparing to hold out. right now he's missing "voluntary" workouts. He won't be a holdout until June. then he'd be an idiot. Gotta take care of my family, he said. What self respecting RB who has under 400 carries in 6 seasons could get by and support his family for a measley 900 grand?

797672[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not sure how he can make ends meet with such a measly salary :D

Maybe he saw Green and Suggs and figures, they ain't starting the season with that crap at RB again, time to cash in.

798533[/snapback]

I buy the Green is crap line, but the jury is still out on Suggs.........IMO.

When Suggs has been the sole starter and not part of Butch Davis and his forced RBBC for his pet Wee Willie Green, he's produced.

26 for 186 & 2 TD's in '03 against the Bungles.

In that game, the Bengals off season aspirations were yet TBD.

Win that game and the Bengals still had a chance at a Wild Card with help. Lose and they were definitely out of contention for a Wild Card. Suggs proceeded to tear them a new one.

38 for 143 against the Phinz in '04

26 for 132 against the Texans in '04

Bear in mind that by the time he was the sole back in '04, he was running behind the Browns 2nd string O'line for the most part.

Fowler, Demar, Cook & Gonzalez were starting. :D

In fact, the only 1st string O'lineman to play when Suggs was the sole RB, was Verba.

Not that the Browns 1st string O'line was any great shakes, mind you, but to be trying to run behind their 2nd string O'line with Luke McCown as the QB........YIKES! :D