[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A-Train a Cowboy?

Beaumont

Confirmed

Cowboys | Thomas to Serve as Backup to Jones - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 2 May 2005 15:20:01 -0700

The Dallas Morning News reports Dallas Cowboys newly added RB Anthony Thomas will serve as the backup running back to starting RB Julius Jones. Thomas is the bigger back type that head coach Bill Parcells likes.

...I'm thinking that I need to pull the offer trading SAlexander (and his one year under contract) for Julius Jones (and his three years under contract) in my salary-cap & contract league...

That, and rejigger my list of top pre-season RBs...

Am I the only person who thinks this is a big blow to Jones owners?  I dont think that Parcells is as wed to Jones as his fantasy owners ...

800687[/snapback]

I think Jones is the main back in Dallas. The Cowboy's just needed a proven guy who can carry the rock if Jones goes down like he did last year. I also don't think that Parcells has much interest in subjecting Julius to alot of 35 carry games like he had near the end of last season. Besides, if they thought that Thomas was a long term answer, they would have tried to sign him for more than a year.

I Just hope from fantasy perspective that ATrain doesnt get the call at the goal line..But as a Cowboys fan I like it. A-train runs hard and can serve as a nice change of pace back..

Edited by whomper

I Just hope from  fantasy perspective that ATrain doesnt get the call at the goal line..       

A-train runs hard and can serve as a nice change of pace back..

800725[/snapback]

Good one, whomper. That's the good and bad of it for Jones owners right there!!!!!

:D As a JJones owner, while I'm not panicking, I'm not exactly thrilled...

:D As a lifelong Cowboy fan, while I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, I'm thinking the basket is looking a lot fuller than it did this time last year!

Good move for the 'Boys -- and adds to what could be their best off-season since the days of Jimmy.

This says a couple of things to me. With the 3 day minicamp just ending today then they go out and sign Thomas I'm under the impression that Barber III did not really impress them that much for some reason. Thomas is the backup here and Jones is the main guy so don't forget that, however Thomas is going to steal some carries and series here and there. I don't think A-Train is the typical back that Parcells likes either by the way.

Lonestar, I think you're reading too much into this as far as the team not liking Barber. Thomas will likely keep Barber from getting much playing time this year, but they didn't just make a knee-jerk reaction in signing him b/c of anything they saw at a 3-day minicamp. They had tried to get him earlier this offseason for depth in the backfield. There is still some question over whether Julius can go a full season. With the beating RBs take, A-Train makes the team stronger. I still think MBIII will get his chances... it may just take a little longer. If Thomas looks good this season, he probably won't be around next season anyway - it's just a one year deal.

What this does is provide depth to a critical position. While Barber may eventually become the man to spell Jones, I wouldn't be real comfy with that kind of inexperience for the backup RB.

And as someone esle mentioned earlier, Parcells certainly doesn't want Jones carrying the ball as much as he did last year. He knows he has a great back in Jones - no sense overusing and abusing him. Jones will certainly be The Man. I would tend to think that A-Train will get the bulk of the short yardage situations tho...

Overall an excellent signing. Still need a safety and WR yet :D

I would tend to think that A-Train will get the bulk of the short yardage situations tho...

Overall an excellent signing. Still need a safety and WR yet  :D

801102[/snapback]

Maybe Bears fans can help us out here, but I don't remember A-Train being particularly adept at short yard situations. Although he has some size, he didn't seem to want to put his head and shoulders down and plunge in the middle to get just a few yards. If he is still anything like he was at Michigan, he likes to bounce it outside and try to break it 60 yards. Unfortuanately, he just isn't quick enough to do that consistently in the NFL, imo.

And as for safety, I think the Cowboys might be looking at Atlanta's Corey Hall, who unexpectedly turned down a deal to resign there last week.

I probably did come across as having somewhat of a knee jerk reaction. I do like the pick-up and it adds some depth, but the timing of mini-camp ending and the signing just sort of said Barber III needs a lot of polishing. Thomas does not appear to be a Parcells guy though from my take. He's tall for a RB which generally indicates he is not going to be used in goal line situations and is just there for depth, good relief, and a safety net just in case Barber III doesn't come along that fast. Barber III I do feel is going to be targeted for use as a receiving back. JJones was supposed to be a better receiving back than he had shown last year and probably had Tuna a little nervous about this year. However, Thomas never was a scoring machine or great receiver either. Nonetheless it's another good off-season add for the 'boys. Safety, Wide receiver, and another OL that are above average would definitely have this team thinking playoffs for this year though, especially in a weak NFC.