[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Smith

max

Smith Back on Field for Panthers

By JENNA FRYER

AP Sports Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Steve Smith is finally back on the field, running long routes for the Carolina Panthers and catching balls from Jake Delhomme.

As far as Delhomme is concerned, it doesn't look like his top target has missed a beat. Smith, Carolina's leading receiver in 2003, missed 15 games last year after breaking his leg in the season opener.

"He looked good," Delhomme said. "I wasn't too worried about him. You don't want to make light of an injury, but a lot of guys have come back from that.

"And I've thrown with him the last couple of weeks and I kind of knew what he could do when he came out."

Smith is participating in Carolina's three-day minicamp this weekend after slowly easing back into shape once doctors cleared him to begin running in March.

He's forced to adjust to his surgically repaired leg, which had seven screws and a metal plate inserted into it.

"You can tell there's a foreign object in my leg," Smith said. "It felt a little different."

But anything is better than the months he spent slowed by a cast and reliant on a pair of crutches. He used the free time to play with his children and help his wife, Angie, through her third pregnancy.

Boston Smith was born April 18. Then it was back to work for his dad, and Angie Smith couldn't get him out of the house fast enough.

"It was a great time for my wife and I to do some things," Smith said. "But it's very tough. It's dangerous going up and down stairs on crutches, and I was getting on my wife's nerves, stuff like that."

Smith will try to come back and duplicate his breakout season of 2003, when he caught a career-high 88 passes for 1,110 yards and seven touchdowns. He was also terrific during the playoffs, helping the Panthers get into the Super Bowl with 18 catches for 404 yards and three touchdowns.

His highlight was a 69-yard TD reception in double overtime against St. Louis that sent Carolina into the NFC championship game.

For Carolina to be successful this season, they'll need big numbers from Smith. Muhsin Muhammad, who led the Panthers last season in Smith's absence, was released in the spring in a salary cap move and then signed with Chicago.

Smith said he won't change a thing about his game in an effort to fill the void left by Muhammad.

"I don't have to do anything different, just go out and do my job," Smith said. "I just have to do what they brought me here to do and do what I did in 2003, just make plays and let my actions speak louder than my words."

Good news for Smith owners and the Panthers. I hope he comes back strong. He seems like a good guy.

Edited by Chargerz

I remember back in the day when the only fame Smith had was that he was fast in Madden. I remember getting laughed at for picking him up off waivers his second year.

Good news for Smith owners and the Panthers. I hope he comes back strong. He seems like a good guy.

800919[/snapback]

Funny how the guy who was only known for throwing haymakers at team meetings a few years back is now seen as a 'good guy'. :D

Didn't he beat the crap out of Stephen Davis a couple of years ago, or am I thinking of the Redskins days with Westbrook?

803143[/snapback]

That was Michael Westbrook. Davis called him a fagg so Westbrook whooped up on him.

Leading receiver Steve Smith suspended

By Andrea Lauren Wallace

Date: Nov 20, 2002

An altercation between receiver Steve Smith and receiver Anthony Bright, led Bright to the hospital with a broken nose.

Charlotte, N.C. - The Panthers suspended Carolina’s Steve Smith from one game after an altercation with teammate Anthony Bright.  The fight resulted in a broken nose for Bright. 

Smith issued a statement Wednesday apologizing to Bright and the rest of the team.

"First and foremost, I would like to apologize to Anthony Bright," Smith said. "I regret the actions that led to my suspension and want to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the organization, and fans of the Carolina Panthers. Being away and watching this week will be difficult, but I take full responsibility for my absence and actions."

Wide receiver Issac Byrd was one of the few players to speak about the fight.  He visited Bright in the hospital on Tuesday.

"I wanted to leave the room the second I walked in there,'' Byrd said. "When I saw him his face was covered, it was like a sheet below the eyes. The nose was covered. Half the face was swollen and his left eye was closed ... you'd have thought there was a bulldozer in Steve's fist.''

Byrd said that the receivers were watching film when Smith attacked Bright. There is no indication as to what caused the fight or if there was any provocation.

Yeah...REAL nice guy. :D