[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pre-camp rookie news/info

BigTen

Saw this on the mlive.com site (lions fourm), enjoy:

May 3 (12:01 AM): Weekend rook roundup… It didn’t take long for many players chosen at the 2005 draft to be introduced to the speed of the pro game as the majority of teams held their rookie minicamps this past weekend. Of course, there wasn’t any real hitting, but there were several interesting storylines. At Cincinnati, for example, former Georgia DE David Pollack, the Bengals’ first pick this year, worked at an OLB position. While it was a new position for Pollack, the 17th player selected overall this year, Bengals’ head coach Marvin Lewis was impressed, commenting that Pollack was “farther ahead than any player I ever had coming in at that spot”… Baltimore also reportedly hopes to one day convert former Oklahoma DE Dan Cody, the Ravens’ second round pick this year, to strong-side LB, however, for now Cody has been penciled in as the rush-end opposite DE Terrell Suggs in passing situations… Meanwhile, former Miami WR Roscoe Parrish was reportedly the star of Buffalo’s minicamp this past weekend as the 3rd round selection made several circus catches; CB Eric King, a 5th round pick also drew some praise from the coaches… Another AFC East 3rd rounder, MLB Channing Crowder of Miami, was reportedly the best player on the field as new head coach Nick Saban held his first workouts with his new team. Indeed, Saban said of Crowder, who slipped into the 3rd round because of concerns about his knees, that he “did a fantastic job” with the former Gator showing plenty of athletic ability as well as some innate leadership skills. Dolphins’ undrafted free agent TE Alex Holmes also received some kind words from the coaches… Out in Arizona, there were several intriguing one-on-one matchups between WR Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals’ top pick in 2004, and this year’s #1 CB Antrel Rolle. Fitzgerald reportedly got the best of things, although Rolle did reportedly come on as the weekend progressed. A second Cardinals’ rookie CB, Eric Green, a 3rd round pick this year, wasn’t as busy as he missed the final two days of workouts because of a sore hip flexor muscle… With some questions about their receiver corps, a lot of attention was focused on the two WRs Green Bay selected at this year’s draft, 2nd round selection Terrence Murphy and 6th rounder Craig Bragg, however, the best rookie receiver at the Packers’ minicamp was reportedly unheralded undrafted free agent Vince Butler of unfashionable Northwest Oklahoma State. Meanwhile, C Michael Hawkins, the Packers’ surprise 5th round selection, was literally all over the place; the speedy Hawkins picked off a couple of passes, but also was beaten for three long TDs…At Detroit, the Lions reportedly liked what they saw from their 2005 rookie class, starting with WR Mike Williams, the 10th player selected at this year’s draft, although the former USC star has a lot of learning to do to pick up the west coast offense the Lions run; a couple of undrafted free agents: FB Will Matthews and TE Jason Randle also drew praise from the Lions’ coaches… Chicago is still reportedly pinching itself that former Purdue QB Kyle Orton, who threw the ball with authority this weekend at the Bears’ minicamp, was still on the board when the team made its 4th round pick…Tampa Bay was also reportedly impressed with the accuracy and arm strength of undrafted free agent QB Jared Allen, while 7th round WR Paris Warren was also solid.

Some tidbits I've gleamed from here and there...

Steve Smith has gotten some different reports, from "He's 100%" to "I feel a foriegn object in my leg" to his QB saying he knows what to expect from him in mini-camp because he's been throwing to him. It sounds like he'll be ready, but I wonder if he will be the same reciever he was before the injury.

Carolina D- Minter is reportedly moving to FS, which opens the door for rookie Thomas Davis to start at SS. Fox remains non-committal, but it looks like this will be the way they start the season at this early point in time. Minter has played FS before.

Atlanta- Ike Reese had a very good mini-camp, using his speed to bat down three passes in drills on Saturday. Reese is trying to beat out Demorrio Williams for the SLB spot. Price made a couple of circus catches.... now if he could only get open and do that in a real game.

Dallas_ Aside from Parcells calling Spears "Chubby Checker" and "Fats Dominoe", D Ware prcticed with the LB's, and it looks like Dallas will run the 3-4 a lot more than the 4-3 to me at this point.

N.O.- Josh Bullocks has a chance to win the starting safety job.

Seattle- With Sharper penciled in to be an OLB, Niko Koutouvides looks like the starting MLB now. He was injured most of last year, and is a FA in many IDP leagues.

Pitt- Heath Miller may be a riskier pick than originally thought.... there is concern over the hernia, and apparently he has a couple of other nagging injury issues.

Houston- Wong moves to MLB with Sharper's departure, and A Peek looks like the hier apparent to fill in behind Wong on the outside.

Sorry.... no links, just stuff from my notes as I try to get ready for my rookie drafts in two different dynasty IDP leagues.

Pro Football Talk is a great site, and they come up with stuff based on rumors.... which means they often scoop a story, but often have to retract one almost as often. Read something there, confirm it elsewhere before you act. Just MHO.

Pro Football Talk is a great site, and they come up with stuff based on rumors.... which means they often scoop a story, but often have to retract one almost as often. Read something there, confirm it elsewhere before you act. Just MHO.

801459[/snapback]

I agree. I was just postig the site for your info. Take from it what you will. Wether or not it is ture, well? Sure does help make the off season go by easier.