[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

...and Favre gets on Walker

Guest Sores

Guest Sores
Favre says he's disappointed with Walker holdout

Associated Press

Posted: May 3, 2005

Brett Favre says he's disappointed with teammate Javon Walker's contract holdout, and the Green Bay Packers can get along without the Pro Bowl wide receiver if they must.

Advertisement

"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre said in a telephone interview with the Green Bay Press-Gazette, posted on the newspaper's Web page Tuesday.

"When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you," Favre said.

Favre, 35, said he was upset to hear about Walker's holdout over his demand for the Packers to improve his contract. Walker stayed away from a mandatory minicamp that ended Sunday; Favre had been excused from the minicamp by coach Mike Sherman.

Walker, a first-round draft pick of the Packers in 2002, has two years left on his existing deal and is scheduled to make $515,000 this season and $650,000 in 2006.

He's coming off a breakout season last year when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns and played in his first Pro Bowl in February.

Walker's new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also represents cornerback Mike McKenzie, who held out of all preseason training sessions with the Packers a year ago over his contract dispute and wound up being traded to New Orleans a few weeks into the season.

Favre said Walker might be wise to go to general manager Ted Thompson directly and try to work out a new deal.

"I would've never thought it would be a guy like Javon," Favre said. "I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don't."

He said Walker's holdout reminded him of Sterling Sharpe's decision to hold out the night before the Packers hosted the Vikings in the 1994 season opener.

"Nowadays you're seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt," he said. "If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I'll be gone but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon's situation was 'Here we go again.'

"Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky's the limit for that guy, and I'd be the first to defend him, but he's going about it the wrong way.

"What happened to honoring your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get this done?' Why not go about it that way?

"Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it's a lesser player, but it's all based on what a team has as far as value in that person."

Favre left no doubt how he thinks the team should handle the situation.

"I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him," he said.

If Walker's position doesn't change, Favre said, he'd prefer the team to go without him.

"We've got guys who'll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up," Favre said. "We can win without him."

I agree, this never ends up working.  However, he does get paid next to nothing....well in football terms :D

802183[/snapback]

Don't you run from me Jolly. We're going settle this now. We're going tell each other just how we feel and become Bucs Brothers again. I'll start first. I think your a piece of sh*t.

Does anyone else think that maybe Drew Rosenhaus may be the problem here?? Isn't he T.O.'s agent as well??

802190[/snapback]

Yes I do. I think this problem is getting well out of hand. I guess the only solution is to let the players sit on their asses for the year. Maybe two years for some of them.

I'm with everyone else - I hate holdouts. But I have to say that I think Favre is out of line and not handling this the right way either, attacking a teammate (and a very valuable one) through the press. Favre has had his deal upgraded in mid-contract in the past himself. Granted, he didn't have to hold out... but he has more leverage. And holding out of a mini-camp is nothing like holding out the day before a game, ala Sterling.

btw, I'm not a Packer fan, or a Walker apologist (although I do have him on one of my fantasy teams)... and in general, I think the world of Favre. I just think he's handling the situation as poorly as Walker in this case.

Favre did the same thing when Freeman held himself out. Freeman was never the same after that. Hopefully the same won't happen to Walker, but unfortunately I think both the team and the player will lose in the long run.

Walker is underpaid, but holding out isn't the answer (fu drew rosenhaus). All it will do is put him on the bad side of his teammates and the fans.

Favre has every right to his opinion, but probably should have handled this one-on-one instead of through the press.

How many years does he have on his contract? If he would just show up and shut his mouth maybe the Packers would restructure his deal....probablyl not after this.

I've had him the last 2 years, I usually take young WR a year before they are due. He was great last year.

How many years does he have on his contract? 

802295[/snapback]

It's in the article. He has 2 years left on his contract--->2005 at $515,000 and 2006 at $650,000.

I'm with everyone else - I hate holdouts.  But I have to say that I think Favre is out of line and not handling this the right way either, attacking a teammate (and a very valuable one) through the press.  Favre has had his deal upgraded in mid-contract in the past himself.  Granted, he didn't have to hold out... but he has more leverage.  And holding out of a mini-camp is nothing like holding out the day before a game, ala Sterling.

btw, I'm not a Packer fan, or a Walker apologist (although I do have him on one of my fantasy teams)... and in general, I think the world of Favre.  I just think he's handling the situation as poorly as Walker in this case.

802243[/snapback]

I don't see it as an attack. I see it as a veteran telling a kid to come back to his team and get a deal worked out the right way. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, holding out only creates bad blood between you and your teamates. Brett is the leader of this team, period. Who do you think the other teamates are going to side with, Favre or Walker? As far as handling the situation correctly, I think he gave an honest answer to a question that was asked of him, and from the opinions that I've seen expressed on this site, most of us agree with him. Also, I think that Walker deserves more money, but he is getting bad advice from his agent.

I ask again... when has holding out ever worked?

802180[/snapback]

Clinton Portis...he was making jack sh** (in NFL terms) from his rookie contract (basically the same as Javon's situation). Next thing you know, he's the highest paid RB in the game and traded to Washington. Why wouldn't Javon do this? It works. I don't necessarily like it, but these guys get paid and one way or another, this will work out better for Javon financially.

Those numbers are the base contract numbers, he gets bonus money and what not. Bottome line, Fave is one of the top ten all time football players, and is, sadly in the twilight of his career, if this lady dog Walker has the notion of sitting out, let him. Favre made him. I strongly feel that Robert Ferguson is going to be the top reciever this year. with Driver being the no.2 guy. I knew of the Walker holdout a few days before the draft. The pack drafting Murphey a few weeks ago is a sign that they don't expect a deal to be worked out.

And yes, I beleive 11 of Drew Rosenhous'es clients are holding out... Which after they get their contracts this year, they'll hold out again, and again, unless more teams have the spine that the pack have. Drew is the Agent for Mike McKinzie...

F Drew Rosenhaus, F Mike McKinzie, and F Javon Walker. I wish we could trade him for a Dlineman or a corner that can play...

I absolutely love what Favre has to say. It's what most of his teammates are probably thinking anyway, and Favre has the balls to say it. Let Walker hold out and watch for the year. Yes, Walker has talent, but if it weren't for Favre he'd be an average receiver IMO.

Clinton Portis...he was making jack sh** (in NFL terms) from his rookie contract (basically the same as Javon's situation).  Next thing you know, he's the highest paid RB in the game and traded to Washington.  Why wouldn't Javon do this?  It works.  I don't necessarily like it, but these guys get paid and one way or another, this will work out better for Javon financially.

802329[/snapback]

And Portis hired Rosenhaus to get his deal done...

Honestly, who would the organization want to upgrade in their contract ... a guy who has an outbreak year and continues to work hard for the organization (even while asking for a new contract) ... or a guy who says I won't set foot in practice or conditioning until my demands are met or close to it?

I think the answer is obvious and IMO most true fans of that team will be fine with the decision of letting some whining millionaire cry in his home about how he isn't making enough money.

Does Walker honestly think the Packers were not going to try to redo his deal this year? They would have been crazy not to. Course maybe he is thinking Favre isn't going to be around much longer and wouldn't mind getting traded to some place he might see as a better opportunity, but still a contract is a contract.