[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben on Big Bike

soloArtist

I've noticed that when news broke out about Winslow's accident, people called him stupid (among other things) because he got on a bike. According to this report, Big Ben says he'll continue to ride his bike (with no helmet!) despite seeing what happened to Winslow. Is Big Ben just a big dummy? or is he exempt from Winslow's stupidity?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2054749

Edited by soloArtist

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Concrete is undefeated. :D

I remember the time I got on my new bike. It was a Honda and it was very top heavy. I went around a corner a little too fast and was lucky to stay on the road. The side of the road was a 15' drop off and filled with rock. Yes, it would still be undefeated.

Edited by MikesVikes

Jim Marshall was the biggest dummy and he never missed a game in his long career. Sky diving, mountain climbing.

Karl Kassalke was another Viking that became paralyzed because of a motorcycle. I saw him at a fund raiser and sat next to him while he was announcing a basketball game.

I don't have confirmation on this, but I do know Roth's bike cost 20 grand. That sounds like a big bike, a cruiser, like a Harley. That is a whole different ball game than the crotch rocket the soldier was doing wheelies on. Would it be smarter to wear the helmet? Sure. But it's a heck of a lot more fun to ride a big bike without one. He also says he rides in groups. Other drivers tend to see groups a whole lot better than a single rider. Personally, I wouldn't get on him for it. Now, what Winslow did..... he still didnt know how to ride a crotch rocket, yet he was doing wheelies without having his helmet strapped. Completely idiotic.

He is taking a huge chance...how much money did Winslow's stupidity cost him? If Ben is willing to put the desire to ride his bike above his financial future and the Steeler's future... that's a decision he'll have to live with. I don't believe it is the correct one...wait until your career is over, then have your fun.

Big Ben is every bit as stupid as Winslow if he continues to ride his bike. That being said, I don't think everyone would be as amused and even joyed by Ben getting hurt, as they are with the soilder getting hurt, and loosing money.

I've noticed that when news broke out about Winslow's accident, people called him stupid (among other things) because he got on a bike.  According to this report, Big Ben says he'll continue to ride his bike (with no helmet!) despite seeing what happened to Winslow.  Is Big Ben just a big dummy?  or is he exempt from Winslow's stupidity?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2054749

805719[/snapback]

On Sirius he said he rides a Harley in a group so he's safe.

"I don't have confirmation on this, but I do know Roth's bike cost 20 grand. That sounds like a big bike, a cruiser, like a Harley. "

It is a Harley and road touring is better, but you never know. Bikes don't give you much room for error.

Edited by Randall

I am an long time Bike guy. If I had any say, if Ben should ride or not. I would vote not! Accidents happen and he has alot to lose. Take up fishing.

Just like a car Im sure a lot of bike accidents happen because of the stupidity of others on the road and not the actual driver of the bike..

Just like a car Im sure a lot of bike accidents happen because of the stupidity of others on the road and not the actual driver of the bike..

806424[/snapback]

You are correct, but Ben is a valauble commodity and as his coach, I wouldn't want him riding. Unecessary risk IMO.

I am an long time Bike guy. If I had any say, if Ben should ride or not. I would vote not! Accidents happen and he has alot to lose. Take up fishing.

806418[/snapback]

So, you are saying that Ben has more to live for than you do? OK, overstatment, but not all that far off either. He is already a rich man, and with some smarts, his family should, I say should have thier future well safe and in hand. Just because he makes more money, his risk is greater? He does not sound reckless at all to me, it sounds like he knows what he's doing. NSab, I'm very surprised at this response. You are worth every bit that Ben is, it isnt a money question in my mind, and I'd guess yer kids would agree with me...... money has nothing to do with it. IMHO.

So, you are saying that Ben has more to live for than you do? OK, overstatment, but not all that far off either. He is already a rich man, and with some smarts, his family should, I say should have thier future well safe and in hand. Just because he makes more money, his risk is greater? He does not sound reckless at all to me, it sounds like he knows what he's doing. NSab, I'm very surprised at this response. You are worth every bit that Ben is, it isnt a money question in my mind, and I'd guess yer kids would agree with me...... money has nothing to do with it. IMHO.

806528[/snapback]

Again I agree, To my family and employees I am every bit as valuable. To me it is something that is part of me. it relaxes me etc. i have been riding since iwas a teenager. I also have metal rods in my femur from a dirt bike acciedent. I always told my son when he was small, that i would buy him a Sportster, so we could ride together. When the time came I got him a car. Just because i do it, doesn't mean I recommend it to others. It is somehtning that either you really have to need in your life. Not somehting i like young guys doing. Most accidents happen to youger guys, with new bikes. As they get comfortable , they don't respect the power and bad things happen. I have lost a few friends over the years to silly accidents, to no fault of their of own.

I am saying form a coaching point of veiw, I would put it in his contract, no riding! Accidents happen.

Tell him to take up a safer hobby.  Have Joey Harrington teach him to play the piano.  Then Ben can teach Joey how to lead an offense.

806553[/snapback]

:D

I don't have confirmation on this, but I do know Roth's bike cost 20 grand. That sounds like a big bike, a cruiser, like a Harley. That is a whole different ball game than the crotch rocket the soldier was doing wheelies on. Would it be smarter to wear the helmet? Sure. But it's a heck of a lot more fun to ride a big bike without one. He also says he rides in groups. Other drivers tend to see groups a whole lot better than a single rider. Personally, I wouldn't get on him for it. Now, what Winslow did..... he still didnt know how to ride a crotch rocket, yet he was doing wheelies without having his helmet strapped. Completely idiotic.

805975[/snapback]

Is the implication here that riding a Harley is intrisically safer than a sports bike? That riding with no helmet is "fun" but riding with one on without having the chin strap on is completely idiotic? I can't see how one is hunky-dorey while the other is retarded.

IMO Ben needs to stop riding for the following reason. There are two types of motorcycle riders. Those that have dumped their bike and those that will eventually dump their bike. Even the best riders take a spill of some sort eventually.

Is the implication here that riding a Harley is intrisically safer than a sports bike?  That riding with no helmet is "fun" but riding with one on without having the chin strap on is completely idiotic?  I can't see how one is hunky-dorey while the other is retarded.

806748[/snapback]

You betchyer butt that a big cruising bike is safer than a bike that is built for trick riding and blazing fast acceleration and speed. When one is doing wheelies and endos, yea, you'de better have yer helmet on. Dr Love, stick to the sort of riding yer avatar indicates you are familiar with. The risk factors in trick riding one of those crotch rockets is a FAR greater risk than riding a big cruising bike in a group. No implication...... FACT.

You betchyer butt that a big cruising bike is safer than a bike that is built for trick riding and blazing fast acceleration and  speed. When one is doing wheelies and endos, yea, you'de better have yer helmet on. Dr Love, stick to the sort of riding yer avatar indicates you are familiar with. The risk factors in trick riding one of those crotch rockets is a FAR greater risk than riding a big cruising bike in a group. No implication...... FACT.

806781[/snapback]

Rovers, a bike is a bike. If you get hit or take a spill, croch rocket or Harley. Your chances of getting hurt are the same. The mentality of the rider may be different. My harley can easily do 120 and is no safer than a jap trap. Hell last year my buddy pulled out onto the main road from his home. He was doing 35 mph around the corner form his house. A deer ran out jumped over him, it kicked him in the head with a helmet on, and killed him! A bike is a bike period.

Ben's a grown man, he can do what he wants to. But if he busts his ass on his bike like Windblown did, I'm gonna laugh at his ass too. I know two guys who are missing arms because of bike wrecks and several others who are lucky to be alive, so I know those suckers are dangerous. I rode for a couple of years and quit while I was ahead.

Tell him to take up a safer hobby.  Have Joey Harrington teach him to play the piano.  Then Ben can teach Joey how to lead an offense.

806553[/snapback]

Now that's a way to start off the week :D