[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben on Big Bike

soloArtist

Just because people pay a lot for a used Harley, that doesn't mean that they're really worth a lot.  I figure it's like the internet stock bubble... there's really no reason for a Harley to maintain its value any more than a car or a snowmobile or a sportbike.  Someday, the buying public will wise up to it.  Until then, I guess it's good for Harley riders.

I'm getting $5000 out of my bike.  Not too bad, considering it was only around $7500 new.  I understand why the used sportbike market is soft.  First, they're fairly cheap brand new.  Second, most people buy them with the intent to beat the ever-living piss out of them.

817183[/snapback]

Second, most people buy them with the intent to beat the ever-living piss out of them.

Doesnt that say something about sportsbikes though? Or, the majority of those people that ride them? I think that has a lot to do with why I've seen so many of them splattered on the road. I rarely see anyone on a sports bike doing less than 20MPH over the speed limit on highways. It isnt unusual to see them doing over 100MPH zig-zagging around cars. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone on a Harley do that. I suppose this is where my predjudice comes from.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second, most people buy them with the intent to beat the ever-living piss out of them.

Doesnt that say something about sportsbikes though? Or, the majority of those people that ride them? I think that has a lot to do with why I've seen so many of them splattered on the road. I rarely see anyone on a sports bike doing less than 20MPH over the speed limit on highways. It isnt unusual to see them doing over 100MPH zig-zagging around cars. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone on a Harley do that. I suppose this is where my predjudice comes from.

817255[/snapback]

Tis true ... the mentality of a sportbike rider and Harley rider are different. I know people say that there is less protection on either of them (which I agree with), but HOW you ride makes a whale of a difference ... although does not keep one completely safe.

One thing though. After several years of enjoying your Harley and you go to finally sell it, you'll be nicely surprised to find it's held it's value. :D

Good luck on trying to sell a rice burner for much more than a can of pop and bag of peanuts after several years of ownership.  :D

816931[/snapback]

Exactly the opposite of most automobiles huh? ... Suppose that is a cheap shot for another thread.

I heard once that Harley's have just as many foreign parts in them than just about any other bike ... foreign or domestic ... woops I suppose that is another thread too.

PS - I love the USA :D ... but not Harley's

• 1 year later...

Wait, don't you mean Ben "Toothlessberger"... :D

:D

Wait, I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? is a guy !!! :D

Spain bangs sheep

Bruschi = Chuck Norris = God

Ben's new nickname is Toothlessburger

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to point out that I was unfortunately right. That is all.

So was I :D

Let's see.... he wasn't on his Harley, he was on a rice burner. So, I guess I was right too!

When I first defended 'ol Ben for riding without a helmet, I was thinking in a group, on big bikes, on a nice country raod.... still risky without a helmet, but I can understand in that setting the temptation not to wear one. Here's what I don't get.... riding in the downtown area of a major city with no helmet, regardless of the type of bike.

But..... it happened on a rice burner, didn't it? NOONE rides those things without blasting off the line. Would it had happened if he was on his Harley? We'll never know, but it happened on a rice burner.... that much we do know.

But..... it happened on a rice burner, didn't it? NOONE rides those things without blasting off the line.

Police reports and a eye witness account, all say Ben was not speeding.

Would it had happened if he was on his Harley? We'll never know, but it happened on a rice burner.... that much we do know.

So you think if he'd been riding an American built bike, instead of a Japanes built bike, the little old lady wouldn't have pulled out in front of him? :D

Thanx Rovers, you made my day with that one. :D

Police reports and a eye witness account, all say Ben was not speeding.

So you think if he'd been riding an American built bike, instead of a Japanes built bike, the little old lady wouldn't have pulled out in front of him? :D

Thanx Rovers, you made my day with that one. :D

You missed the point. He wasn't speeding according to reports, but did he blast it off the line? If he was on a cruiser is he still a block away when that woman makes her turn? Timing is everything.... and you missed my sarcasm. I know no motorcycle wins an arguement with a vehicle. In the same place, at the same time, it makes no diiference what he was on.

But..... I do find it somewhat ironically funny that he wasn't on a cruiser.... hence, my commentary. I've still NEVER seen the aftermath of a Harley wreck personally. Sports bikes? One a month to guess at an average.

My nephew rides with a sports bike club. They go out late at night, and do 160MPH+ on the parkways around here. I never knew a Harley rider to ride like that. The cops hate the sports bike riders because they can't catch them. Maybe things are different on Long Island, but..... the day I see a Harley wreck, I'll be sure to post it in the Tailgate.

But..... I do find it somewhat ironically funny that he wasn't on a cruiser.... hence, my commentary. I've still NEVER seen the aftermath of a Harley wreck personally. Sports bikes? One a month to guess at an average.

So you've seen over 600 sports bike accidents???

That's the last time I go out to Long Island...

So you've seen over 600 sports bike accidents???

That's the last time I go out to Long Island...

The first one I saw was when I was headed over to King Arthur's place for a few cocktails and a roasted pig feast. Later, during the jousting event, a sports biker crashed through the vineyard and into the stands where the peasants were seated. A very nasty incident.

I've still NEVER seen the aftermath of a Harley wreck personally.

I was an eyewitness to one. About 10' away from it, when it happened.

Leaving my work at night and had to cross the road to get to the employee parking lot. 4 lanes, two per side with a suicide lane in the middle for turning. Cab was in the suicide lane to turn across and into a Waffle House.

As I was walking across, I heard the familiar Harley sound coming from behind me. Got to the other side and turned around to check the Harley out. To my horror, the cab turned to cross the two lanes of oncoming traffic to get to the Waffle House. The Harley rider didn't have a chance to try and avoid this idiot cabby and plowed right smack dab into the middle of him.

Of course the big Hog was immediately stopped (not speeding - going approx 35 mph) and the rider cartwheeled into the air, up and over the cab. He had been wearing one of those little brain pan helmets, but unfortunately didn't have it strapped on. As the guy was cartwheeling through the air, I saw his helmet fly off in a different direction.

When he came down he had somehow gotten twisted backwards so he landed on the back of his heels initially and then the rest of his body accordianed on down to the pavement with the back of his head whiplashing into the asphalt. I'll never for get that sound of the back his skull smacking into the road.

You know how they say everything slows down when your adrenaline kicks in? It's true, because my senses sharpened. Best description I can think of is like the scene in an "Interview With A Vampire" when Brad Pitt first sees with his new vampire eyes. It was freaky as hell. I heard & saw all of these little details in super slow motion.

I ran over to the guy, but he was already making those death throe gurgling sounds and involuntarily twitching as thick deep red blood began spreading out from under his skull in an ever broadening pool.

He stopped breathing within a couple of minutes. Probably better off dying, because if he would've lived, I'd say he'd have been a turnip. Had nightmares about that wreck for some time.

Point is, I don't care what bike it is, rice burner or Hog, you hit a several ton vehicle planted firmly on the road by four wheels and you ain't wearing a lid strapped on, you're gonna get messed up.

No if's, and's or but's about it.

Nasty story, B Score. Like I said previously in this thread, I know plenty of big bikes get wiped..... maybe some sort of statistical oddity, but I've never seen one. The peanut helmets are pretty worthless, even if they stay on, from what I've heard.

That slow motion "zone"? Yeah.... once in a car wreck, but often when playing sports, especially football. That is connected to that "life flashes in front of you state" too. Adrenaline is a wild, albeit natural drug.

My nephew swears that there are more fatalities on big bikes, which he attributes to older new MC riders who bought a Harley as their first bike, and don't know how to ride. Bottom line on any accident..... you can get plowed down anywhere, any time. I like my odds better in a steel cage though.....

I like my odds better in a steel cage though.....

Ain't that the truth. :D

Four wheels is also better than two.

Don't get me wrong though. I love bikes. I got my Learners when I was 15, but never owned a car until I got here to the States when I was 21.

For 6 years all I had was a bike and rode that sucker rain or sun, summer & winter.

Was in Australia and lived in the country most of the time.

Always wanted a Hog, but if you think they're expensive here, trying buying one overseas. Had to settle for a rice burner. Big old 4 in a row Suzuki GS750 with 3 quarter fairing and chopped down handle bars. Think original Mad Max and those bikes.

Friend of mine wanted me to be Best Man at his wedding. I was in the Outback of New South Wales and his wedding was down in Victoria city of Melbourne on the Coast. It was one heck of a ride. Took the Great Western Highway going down. I laid on the tank getting under the fairing, kicked my heels up on the back pegs and turned that throttle, till it wouldn't turn anymore.

Whenever I came up on a curve it was a welcome relief, as most of that road was carpenters dream, being dead flat and straight.

The only time I slowed was when some farmers truck had spilled some grain on the road and a flock of Cockatoos was feeding on it. Great big dumb birds that you don't want to hit.

Once I moved over here, I put down roots in Atlanta and quickly decided a car was the way to go.

When I was in Okinawa, I wanted to buy a bike and let the wife use the car. After only having ridden a small bike once, without a license in Mississippi (I don't know how we rented them, but they let us) I attempted to take the road test, and failed miserably. Could'nt do figure 8's at two miles an hour.

I'd still like to have a big bike some day, but I would not want to ride it in a metro area. If I were in the country somewhere.... yeah. That is highly unlikey though, and despite my nephew's willingness to let me get on his R1000, no thanks.... not even to ride like a biker broad!

I rode from the late 70's through the 80's. I remember complaining then that it was getting tough to have a good time on a bike with the nuts on the road and the ever increasing traffic. I can't fathom riding a bike in Jersey today. If I did I'd probably hear non-stop nagging from the wife anyway. I know us guys are macho and all but, that high pitched screach kinda wears me out. I give in every time, it drives me :D

Edited by jgcoach