[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Freeney has shoulder surgery

NFL sack leader Dwight Freeney recently had shoulder surgery and might not be ready to practice when the Indianapolis Colts open training camp in late July, coach Tony Dungy said today.

Dungy revealed the surgery on the two time Pro Bowl defensive end during the second day of the Colts’ rookie minicamp.

“He had shoulder surgery a couple of weeks ago — just a cleanup,” Dungy said. “We kind of knew that it was coming. (They) had planned on doing it after the Pro Bowl. We expect him to be full go right around the beginning of camp.”

Freeney led the NFL last season with a franchise record 16 sacks, his third straight season with double digit sacks after the Colts drafted him 11th overall in 2002.

link

So, why the heck DIDN'T they do this after the Pro Bowl? At least Heap had an excuse for a late surgery, but why did they wait? Wierd.

814072[/snapback]

vets will do the wierdess things to get out of camps

This is from a Q&A with Mike Chapell, the Colts beat writer for the Indianapolis Star:

Question: Why did Dwight Freeney wait so late into the offseason to have shoulder surgery? Coach Dungy’s comments seem to indicate that Freeney was supposed to have surgery as soon as the Pro Bowl was over. I like Dwight, but he might have screwed up a little here. (Carl from Indianapolis)

Answer: Freeney will have screwed up if waiting to have the surgery results in him not being ready for the regular season. We won’t know that until September. We haven’t had any access to Freeney since the surgery. That will be one of the questions he’ll be asked during summer school/minicamp

Edited by CaptainHook

Freeney optimistic

Two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney was adamant he will be ready for the start of training camp after undergoing shoulder surgery recently to repair a torn labrum.

"Everything is good," he said, adding the surgery was considered minor and "basically just to correct a few problems I had toward the end of the year. It was just so I can be stronger than I was last year."

Freeney's rehabilitation will keep him from participating in any of the Colts' on-field summer school activities.

link