[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3-4 Teams

I beleive most of these teams will use a base 3-4 defense:

New England

Houston

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

San Diego

Dallas ?

San Francisco ?

815628[/snapback]

I think Oakland will use it a bit, too.

There are several teams that will use a hybrid 4-3 and 3-4 depending upon down and distance, and also depending upon how you define certain players, as NE has done with Willie McGinest and Baltimore has done with Boulware and now Cody.

Miami is one team, and that will create fantasy problems because the personnel that people have picked up off of that team, especially Taylor and Thomas, don't seem particularly well suited to that system given their smaller size.

Dallas is another such team, and you can probably include San Diego in there too with Merriman although they are officially a 3-4.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a list of all the teams base defenses. I used depth charts to confirm them. 3-4 Teams are in red

AFC EAST

Bills 4-3

Dolphins 4-3

Patriots 3-4

Jets 4-3

AFC NORTH

Ravens 3-4

Steelers 3-4

Bengles 4-3

Browns 3-4

AFC SOUTH

Texans 3-4

Colts 4-3

Jags 4-3

Titans 4-3

AFC WEST

Broncos 4-3

Chiefs 4-3

Raiders 3-4

Chargers 3-4

NFC EAST

Cowboys 4-3

Giants 4-3

Eagles 4-3

Redskins 4-3

NFC NORTH

Bears 4-3

Lions 4-3

Packers 4-3

Vikings 4-3

NFC SOUTH

Falcons 4-3

Panthers 4-3

Saints 4-3

Bucs 4-3

NFC WEST

Cardinals 4-3

Rams 4-3

49ers 4-3

Seahawks 4-3

Edited by max

Many of the base 4-3 teams will come with 3-4 looks too, like the Jets, but it's clear that they are still a base 4-3. Since N.E. has been so sucessful, many teams will attempt to at least dabble in the 3-4. The 46 is enjoying a comeback as well. I believe the Ravens and possibly the Redskins will use this old, and now new Buddy Ryan defense. It's getting more difficult to say what is a team's base D these days... we won't know about the Dolphins at least until the third game of the preseason, if then.

Here is a list of all the teams base defenses.  I used depth charts to confirm them.  3-4 Teams are in red

NFC EAST

Cowboys 4-3

Giants 4-3

Eagles 4-3

Redskins 4-3

825450[/snapback]

Parcells has come out and said the the Cowboys base Defense will be the 3-4, but indicated that they will still play a lot of the 4-3.

Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells confirmed what many had suspected: that the team will use the 3-4 as its base defense in 2005. What Parcells also added was that the Cowboys are likely to mix in plenty of 4-3 looks and that it could always change based on what happens in the minicamps leading up to training camp.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...hispers2004.htm