[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sports Illustrated hidden gems for 2005

Meat Face

pretty good.

817631[/snapback]

thanks for the link, nothing like an early taste...:salivating:

I would add Andre Johnson to that list, although he already kind of broke out. He isn any more broken out that JJ though. That train left the station last year, from Seattle game forward.

Guest Sores
... as well as Stephen Jackson (as long as Faulk doesn't get most the carries).

817675[/snapback]

Gee....ya think? :D

Thanks for the link! It's interesting to get SI's perspective on the "gems". I can't say I disagree with any of them! :D

817707[/snapback]

Hey Chargerz, why don't you load up on a bunch of guys like K-Rob, Big Ben and Fraud Taylor so I can teach you a serious lesson in the 4983.

Thanks for the link, Meat.  Although I have to say only Curtis and Losman are surprises on that list. :D

817769[/snapback]

Have to agree, although I didn't expect to see Doug Jolley anywhere anytime soon.

Have to agree, although I didn't expect to see Doug Jolley anywhere anytime soon.

818061[/snapback]

Expect to see him in the top ten list for TE's this year, wolfden. Probably around 7 or 8. Has upside for top 5. Trust me on this one.

Hey Chargerz, why don't you load up on a bunch of guys like K-Rob, Big Ben and Fraud Taylor so I can teach you a serious lesson in the 4983.

817717[/snapback]

I'M going to be the teacher this year, whippersnapper!! :D

Expect to see him in the top ten list for TE's this year, wolfden. Probably around 7 or 8. Has upside for top 5. Trust me on this one.

818070[/snapback]

Yeah, don't get me wrong....Wasn't knocking his potential for 2005. Just thinking/hoping he'd fly under the radar a bit longer is all. Kinda figured SI would give us some huge insight into this years TEs like A.Gates or J.Whitten is all. :D

Kevin Curtis has some serious upside 2005 and beyond -- Rev. Ike isnt getting any younger and there has always been room in that offense for 3 top flight WRs ... Curtis has wheels and blew up in the playoffs last year ...

I would add Sammie Parker and Arnaz Battle as serious sleeper candidates for 2005 forward ...

I think Colbert will have a good year too ... as well as Stephen Jackson (as long as Faulk doesn't get most the carries).

817675[/snapback]

Everything I've seen makes it sound like Jackson is being prepped to be THE MAN in St Louis.

Marshall Faulk will be option #2 and every coach's wet dream of a 3rd down back. Though with the respect Martz has for Marshall, I wouldn't be shocked if he kept him the "starter" (as in "you start the game Marshall and then sit down after the first series").

i drafted sammie parker last yr in our rookie draft in fusion. while small, he may be the fastest guy in the nfl. injury set him back last yr, along with the chiefs te of the future kris wilson. now these, are sleepers, but probably more for dynasty and keeper leagues. not sure if eithere will be starter material this yr fantasywise. another guy i'm fond of, and i said it elsewhere, is brandon jacobs rb giants. huge guy who should be able to contribute this yr some in short yardage situations, but could be a huge stud down the line.

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=6668

edit: Q&A with GM Ernie Accorsi

Insight on draft, team outlook.

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

May 26, 2005

Q: After a draft, there is often one player you seem more excited about than others. Is it safe to say Brandon Jacobs is that player this year? What do you like about him?

Accorsi: ìHeís just an intriguing prospect. This isnít a lottery ticket here. This guy was highly-recruited to Auburn. He played well there. He ran into Williams and Brown. And I said several times during this post-draft period, Red Grange would have transferred if those two backs were with him. They were trying to make him something else. If you look at him, you can see he could have grown into a defensive end, a linebacker, a fullback, anything. He wanted to be a halfback. That was the key ñ that is an old term. But to try to be more specific, a halfback, that is what he is, that is what we drafted him as. Then he transferred to Southern Illinois, which had two other transfers that season. They would use all three of them. But he played the game ñ he rushed for over 900 yards, a 6.6-yard average, and 19 touchdowns. The one thing that everybody says he will solve your short yardage problem. You have 267 pounds, he should solve it. But he is much more than that. If you saw him out there at mini-camp, you saw a big, tall halfback. He is fast, he has got the moves, he drops his weight. Everybody worries too much about a tall back, because a lot of times they run upright and are big targets. Well, (Hall of Famer Eric) Dickerson was tall, so I donít worry about it. There are always exceptions. The key is, do you run upright or are you able to drop your weight, which gives you the ability to change direction and cut. And he does. If you tried to put the blinders on and pretend, and not look at him in relation to the other players and see how big he is, if you know the game, you would know that he is a halfback, not a fullback. We didnít draft him as a fullback. Those guys are basically blockers who catch the ball in the flat. That is not what this guy is.

ìSo, now all of a sudden our running back situation - because we like (Derrick) Ward, we like (Mike) Cloud and we like Jacobs ñ is in pretty good shape. And the kid we signed out of Notre Dame (Ryan Grant) isnít a bust either. So we have big backs, finally. And he has an important role, because even Tiki said it publicly, ëIf I am going to last, I have to get somebody to help me.íî

Edited by crispirons