[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears Camp Starts Today

gilthorp

This taken from the Chicago Tribune, you have to sign up, so I'll just copy and paste it. I have a major problem with everyone assuming the reason the Bears offense did so poorly last year was because of the loss of Rex Grossman.

Granted, he only played 3 games last year, but he only threw one TD and that was to a FB. If I remember correctly, he didn't even complete a TD pass in the pre-season either.

For his career, he is 85/156 with 3 TD passes, and a rating of 71.

The more I think about it, the more I believe we're in for another long season...unless the OL upgrades are in fact that--upgrades.

:D

By Terry Bannon

Tribune staff reporter

May 19, 2005, 11:33 PM CDT

When Rex Grossman steps up to the line of scrimmage in Friday's first mini-camp workout, he hardly will recognize the surroundings. And it's not just because he hasn't played a game since a knee injury ended his 2004 season after three games.

The Bears' off-season program began a month ago, and the effort to dig out of the historic offensive disaster of 2004 features three days of closed workouts beginning Friday at Halas Hall.

Grossman will see old friends in new places, new friends in old places and … yet another new playbook.

For Grossman, it's the third playbook in three Bears seasons and his fifth in as many years, going back to his final two seasons at Florida.

"At this point, I'm glad I've gone through the previous four seasons," Grossman said. "Obviously, I wish I was in one system and could grow, but since I've played in only six games, it's not that big a deal."

Starting from scratch in his third season is not how anyone envisioned Grossman's career. But things change quickly in the NFL, especially after two straight losing seasons. Only Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz and tight end Desmond Clark remain from the Bears' starting offense of 2003, when Grossman was kept on the bench until they were eliminated from playoff consideration.

Grossman's injury was one reason the Bears' offense collapsed last season, scoring only one touchdown per game without him and setting a franchise record by giving up 66 sacks.

New offensive coordinator Ron Turner's playbook has replaced Terry Shea's encyclopedia.

"I felt last year the whole offense—the whole potential of the playbook—was put on us at once, and we never really got good at one thing," Grossman said.

Grossman has spent time looking at film of other teams with Turner.

"You look at the Colts and Eagles, and they don't do a lot of stuff," Grossman said. "But what they do, they do well. They only have a certain number of plays. With the Colts, Peyton [Manning] is at the line checking to the right play against that defense, but they don't do a whole lot of stuff. They're not tricky. They're just good at what they do."

The Bears have talked about returning to a more basic offense, and they spent their first-round pick on running back Cedric Benson to give the running game a tougher inside presence than it had last year with Thomas Jones.

They also signed Muhsin Muhammad, who led the NFL with 16 touchdown receptions for Carolina last year. Grossman and Muhammad have been playing catch for a month now.

"It's fun throwing to Muhsin because he's a big target with huge hands, and he snags everything," Grossman said. "Right off the bat, he runs great routes.

"If you're off target a little bit, he can snag it out of anywhere. Plus, getting to know him and talk to him, his knowledge of the game, having been in the league a while, it's going to be fun working with him.

"We'll be able to signal routes to him, little things like that. He understands the game, where maybe some other guys don't."

Just who starts opposite Muhammad is a question that will begin to be answered this weekend. Although Bobby Wade finished last season starting with the since-departed David Terrell, this is the year Justin Gage may get a shot. Last year's third-round pick, Bernard Berrian, is faster and maybe a better complement to the 32-year-old Muhammad. Wade may be challenged for playing time on third downs by former Tennessee Titan Eddie Berlin.

If the off-season changes haven't improved the offensive line drastically, the Bears have no chance.

John Tait has moved from right tackle to the left side, and Fred Miller, whom Tennessee cut in a salary-cap move, is in at right tackle.

"That's a solid, real good line, and that's always a first step," Grossman said.

It's one of many the offense needs to take.

The Bears made some good draft picks, but 5-6 potential QB's with less than a season of games between them, doesn't bode well. On the otherhand, they do have a weak schedule. No predictions yet, but .500 does look like a dream season.

I doubt Dan Marino could have coaxed many tds out of that WR group they had last year. I wouldn't expect Muhsin Muhammad to do much more than half of what he did last year, but 900 yds and 8 tds is a tremendous upgrade.

More of an issue IMO is the :D Chi has been going through with their RBs - you have a decent power runner in A-Train, who gets benched in favor of the perenially disappointing Thomas Jones, a "better fit" in Terry Shea's offense. So A-Train is all but out the door and Jones has a fat contract....so Chicago brings in an OC who wants a power-running offense.

I think with an OL corp of Kreutz, Tucker, and Tait you guys are doing decent there - IF Tucker can stay healthy. Miller is solid and can't help but be an upgrade over the turnstiles you had playing opposite Tait last year.

Still, I wouldn't expect too many great things - figure Grossman is going to take his lumps early in the year as he deals with his own inexperience in the NFL, and the offense in general's inexperience in Turner's scheme (which, IIRC, is the Zampese/Norv Turner branch of the Gillman offense - cousin to the Rams but 180 degrees away in philosophy and much simpler in execution).

More of an issue IMO is the :D Chi has been going through with their RBs - you have a decent power runner in A-Train, who gets benched in favor of the perenially disappointing Thomas Jones, a "better fit" in Terry Shea's offense. So A-Train is all but out the door and Jones has a fat contract....so Chicago brings in an OC who wants a power-running offense.

820521[/snapback]

I wouldn't say that Jones is disappointing. He did about as well as could be expected while facing eight men in the box on every down. He's almost as good a power runner as A-Train (scored a number of goal-line TDs early last season) and his receiving skills are far superior. And speaking of Jones' fat contract, I don't see why they used the #4 pick on Benson. Seems to me that they could've traded down and still landed a decent back in the late first round. Unless, of course, they plan on releasing and/or dealing Jones but, as I said before, Jones didn't exactly play himself out of the featured back role last season.

The Bears are in an unenviable position this year, given that the oft-injured Grossman will have to learn his third offense in as many years. None of their backups are good enough to be legitimate starters and none know the new offense, either. If everyone can stay healthy (and that's a big if regarding Mu-hammy), they might be able to achieve what Jacksonville did offensively last year. And, unfortunately, that isn't much. :D

Just a few updates here.

Chavez--Tucker is gone, they released him about a month ago, no real explanation, with the exception of they couldn't count on him to stay healthy for any set period of time. They have already made the move by putting Tait on the left side, and Miller should assume the RT spot.

Going into summer camp, T. Jones is the #1 RB, Peterson #2, Benson #3, but that's just on paper. Jones is already putting himself in the front office dog house by refusing any press interviews, so he must really be stung by them drafting Benson. Big baby. :bawling:

Outside of Mush, it's just too cloudy of a picture on the WR front to project any type of fantasy value. Some articles say that Gage has the first chance to start on the other side, but it's wide open with Bobby Wade, Bernard Berrian, Eddie Berlin, and the two rookies they drafted this spring.

Just a few updates here.

Chavez--Tucker is gone, they released him about a month ago, no real explanation, with the exception of they couldn't count on him to stay healthy for any set period of time. They have already made the move by putting Tait on the left side, and Miller should assume the RT spot.

820774[/snapback]

Tucker's release came during my personal "Dark Ages" (no internet and VERY busy at work, so I was pretty badly out of the loop), so that's good to know. I knew about the Tait move to LT - I can't see any reason he wouldn't be solid there; he was near-dominant at RT, and certainly beats the soup cans that were lining up on the left side all last year.

Benson starts by game 6, which would be about the time Jones starts to show why the Bears felt they needed to draft Benson in the first place.

Benson is on the right team for his style and playing surface. Bears will win at least 7 games this year I think.

i think they have a decent shot at .500. why not??? the defense will be respectable and benson and mushy-mushy have been added. already noted that the oline "could/should" be improved. actually, tanking another yr isn't a bad idea either as they could get leinert next yr if grossman goes down like a dog again.

i think they have a decent shot at .500.  why not???  the defense will be respectable and benson and mushy-mushy have been added.  already noted that the oline "could/should" be improved.  actually, tanking another yr isn't a bad idea either as they could get leinert next yr if grossman goes down like a dog again.

822343[/snapback]

I think .500 is reasonable, but that division is the "tougher" of the NFC. Probably another year away, but Chi is an interesting team to watch this year.

i think they have a decent shot at .500.  why not???  the defense will be respectable and benson and mushy-mushy have been added.  already noted that the oline "could/should" be improved.  actually, tanking another yr isn't a bad idea either as they could get leinert next yr if grossman goes down like a dog again.

822343[/snapback]

The Bears would not take Leinart. Orton is supposedly wowing the Bears' brass and coaching staff. There's somethin' about those Purdue QBs: give 'em a couple of years to develop and they'll be solid.

Benson will be the opening day starter. They didn't draft him that high to ride pine. Jones can go cry in the corner. He can be a fine change-of-pace back.

Grossman should be fine; he didn't look spectacular to start last season, but this is one Bear fan that'll give him a chance to show what he has.

Gage is actually getting some high marks from the "experts" and coaches, etc. He could be one of those "third-year wonders". Having a steady Mushy on one side and a few speed burners in the other spots could open things up.

All in all, I'm not expecting huge things from the Bears. With their D and improved offense, though, I would be shocked if they don't win at least 7-8 games.

All in all, I'm not expecting huge things from the Bears.  With their D and improved offense, though, I would be shocked if they don't win at least 7-8 games.

822649[/snapback]

I will be astounded if we win 7.

The Bears would not take Leinart.  Orton is supposedly wowing the Bears' brass and coaching staff.  There's somethin' about those Purdue QBs:  give 'em a couple of years to develop and they'll be solid. 

He's not wowing anybody. He had a rookie weekend camp and he did OK.

Benson will be the opening day starter.  They didn't draft him that high to ride pine.  Jones can go cry in the corner.  He can be a fine change-of-pace back. 

Disagree--Benson will play and will start in 05', but not right away.

Grossman should be fine; he didn't look spectacular to start last season, but this is one Bear fan that'll give him a chance to show what he has.

Grossman has done virtually nothing in two years. What makes you say he "should be fine"?

Gage is actually getting some high marks from the "experts" and coaches, etc.  He could be one of those "third-year wonders".  Having a steady Mushy on one side and a few speed burners in the other spots could open things up.

What "high marks" are you referring to?

All in all, I'm not expecting huge things from the Bears.  With their D and improved offense, though, I would be shocked if they don't win at least 7-8 games.

Do you consider yourself an optimist or a pessimist? I see 6 games tops...their final half of the schedule is brutal.

822649[/snapback]

Grossman has done virtually nothing in two years. What makes you say he "should be fine"?

822815[/snapback]

I see a good attitude and a willingness to learn. Over the last 2 years, apart from the injuries, Grossman has had to cope with the worst offense in football and the worst OCs in the whole history of football.

He deserves a decent shot.

I see a good attitude and a willingness to learn.  Over the last 2 years, apart from the injuries, Grossman has had to cope with the worst offense in football and the worst OCs in the whole history of football.

823082[/snapback]

Not to mention the fact that he's currently learning his third offense in just as many seasons. It's been a difficult road for Rex but, if he can stay healthy, he's probably going to be a decent NFL QB.

I see a good attitude and a willingness to learn.  Over the last 2 years, apart from the injuries, Grossman has had to cope with the worst offense in football and the worst OCs in the whole history of football.

He deserves a decent shot.

823082[/snapback]

Absolutely love his attitude...there I agree with you. There's no solid evidence that he's going to be decent. He played in 7 games last year, preseason included, and never threw a TD to a wideout. Maybe this will change, and it all turns around? :D

Not to mention the fact that he's currently learning his third offense in just as many seasons.  It's been a difficult road for Rex but, if he can stay healthy, he's probably going to be a decent NFL QB.

823281[/snapback]

Always the proverbial "if" someone can stay healthy....I use it too, but I never feel too good about it when I say that--Grossman has received a season ending injury in both of his 2 seasons. Not good.

I'm as big a Bear fan as any, but I think it's open to debate when someone makes the claim that "Grossman should be fine".

Always the proverbial "if" someone can stay healthy....I use it too, but I never feel too good about it when I say that--Grossman has received a season ending injury in both of his 2 seasons. Not good.

823291[/snapback]

Agreed. I'm rooting for Rex and think that he has the skills to be successful, but I'm not going to let the homer glasses cloud reality.

Absolutely love his attitude...there I agree with you. There's no solid evidence that he's going to be decent. He played in 7 games last year, preseason included, and never threw a TD to a wideout. Maybe this will change, and it all turns around? :D

I'm as big a Bear fan as any, but I think it's open to debate when someone makes the claim that "Grossman should be fine".

823291[/snapback]

I think we have a chicken and egg thing here. Sure, Grossman never threw a TD to a wideout, but the wideouts were poor and the routes / coaching / game plans were abysmal. Was the lack of TDs really Grossman's fault?

Agreed about the injuries.

Agreed.  I'm rooting for Rex and think that he has the skills to be successful, but I'm not going to let the homer glasses cloud reality.

823311[/snapback]

Good info here. I really hope he's successful, but a lot of other things need to fall into place for it to be so.

So, a RB does the following:

Wk 1 -- rushes 68 yds, 2 TDs, 38 yds receiving on 6 recs, 22 fantasy pts (per huddle scoring)

Wk 2 -- rushes 152 yds, 1 TD, 7 yds receiving on 1 rec, 21 fantasy pts

Wk 3 -- rushes 110 yds, 1 TD, 71 yds receiving on 8 recs, 24 fantasy pts

First 3 weeks = 330 yds, 4 TDs, 116 yds receiving on 15 recs, 67 fantasy pts.

And then his QB goes down and the reigns are handed to Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, and Chad Hutchinson. Oh, what fear the opposing secondaries must've had! Can you say 9 in the box?!

So, if Thomas Jones can do that with a "QB that hasn't done anything yet", then I'm confused to understand why TJones is considered the problem that needs fixing with the 4th pick overall. Perhaps I'm looking thru tainted glasses since I have TJones in a keeper, but I don't get it. Was TJones the problem in '04 if he was able to put up those kinds of numbers with a QB that threatened to throw the ball (although there wasn't anyone around to catch it)?

i'm optimistic. but i'm a bears fan, i'm always optimistic. i think they had a pretty decent draft. i think .500 is obtainable and i would be excited to see it. i don't expect more than that. grossman and orton should both learn the system with no hitches because they are young and both played in pretty complicated offenses in college. let the best man win there. i don't know which one that is, i'm just hoping one of them actually produces within a few years. i think they addressed some of their needs this off-season so i can only hope it helps. all in all, i think they are better than last year. like i said, i think they could hit .500, but i'll certainly be celebrating if they do.

So, a RB does the following:

Wk 1 -- rushes 68 yds, 2 TDs, 38 yds receiving on 6 recs, 22 fantasy pts (per huddle scoring)

Wk 2 -- rushes 152 yds, 1 TD, 7 yds receiving on 1 rec, 21 fantasy pts

Wk 3 -- rushes 110 yds, 1 TD, 71 yds receiving on 8 recs, 24 fantasy pts

First 3 weeks = 330 yds, 4 TDs, 116 yds receiving on 15 recs, 67 fantasy pts.

And then his QB goes down and the reigns are handed to Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, and Chad Hutchinson.  Oh, what fear the opposing secondaries must've had!  Can you say 9 in the box?!

So, if Thomas Jones can do that with a "QB that hasn't done anything yet", then I'm confused to understand why TJones is considered the problem that needs fixing with the 4th pick overall.  Perhaps I'm looking thru tainted glasses since I have TJones in a keeper, but I don't get it.  Was TJones the problem in '04 if he was able to put up those kinds of numbers with a QB that threatened to throw the ball (although there wasn't anyone around to catch it)?

825631[/snapback]

Great post. Even though he had Quinn, Krenzel, and Hutchinson throwing balls to WRs who can't catch for the vast majority of the season, he still ended up with 948 yds and 7 TDs, averaging 4.0 yds/carry. That's pretty good, considering his supporting cast.

You don't draft a RB with the #4 overall pick when (1) your current RB was one of the few effective pieces of your offense the previous year and (2) your only decent QB can't stay healthy, and (3) you don't have a legitimate #2 WR.

No wonder Jones isn't speaking to the media. I woldn't either if Angelo stabbed me in the back.