[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why so high on McGahee?

Potman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't see him as a top five back, that's for sure. He has several things stacked against him. Most top backs (I did say most) play on teams that put points on the board. With a rookie QB, an offensive line that has three new faces (and not an improvement over the old ones), I think he will be lucky to make the top ten. He's a good RB, and is a great 2nd FF RB IMO, but a sub-par #1.

I know it's very very early, but I've seen a few mock drafts and people seem to be very high on McGahee.  Is he really a Top 5 worthy back this year?

818550[/snapback]

People are high on him because in his first full time action since his college injury he gained over 1100 yds in 11 starts and scored 13 TD's.

Losman is the new qb this year but he's not going to be much of a drop from Bledsoe, in fact barring the broken leg last season he probably would have started last year.

I'm not sold on MgAhee being in the Top 5 but I certainly like him enough to say Top 10.

I certainly don't see him as a top five back, that's for sure. He has several things stacked against him. Most top backs (I did say most) play on teams that put points on the board. With a rookie QB, an offensive line that has three new faces (and not an improvement over the old ones), I think he will be lucky to make the top ten. He's a good RB, and is a great 2nd FF RB IMO, but a sub-par #1.

818572[/snapback]

What he said! :D

In dynasty\keeper leagues I would consider him a top 5 back because I do think he is going to be a stud in the NFL once his QB has a little experience and the O-line has been together for a little while, for now I'd say top 10 because he did show he can run despite a poor passing game and a mediocre line and IMHO I can't name 10 RBs I'd pick before him.

It's hard not to be optimistic after his production last season. I don't know about top 5 but I do like him in the top 10 for certain.

How appropriate... considering the source. :D

...people seem to be very high...

818550[/snapback]

I would like to know the 5-10 RB's you put ahead of him.

818647[/snapback]

L.T

S. Alexander

Priest Holmes

Julius Jones

Curtis Martin

Corey Dillon

Perhaps Jamal Lewis if he gets back to form.

This guy cant be on the list as of now but mark my words he will be ahead of Mcgahee fantasy wise this year. Lamont Jordan

Your not wrong though there isnt that big of a list ahead of him.

Edited by whomper

L.T

S. Alexander

Priest Holmes

Julius Jones

Curtis Martin

Corey Dillon

Perhaps Jamal Lewis if he gets back to form.

This guy cant be on the list as of now but mark my words he will be ahead of Mcgahee fantasy wise this year.  Lamont Jordan

Your not wrong though there isnt that big of a list ahead of him.

818683[/snapback]

What about Edge? They are probably pretty close, but I think James has the edge (pardon the pun) since Indy has more of a powerhouse offense than Buffalo.

I really like McGahee but I have him in one keeper league so I am biased.  I would like to know the 5-10 RB's you put ahead of him.

818647[/snapback]

Like I said it's early, but here's a quick list:

LT

SA

Priest

Edge

Deuce

Portis

AGreen

Steven Jackson

Jam

KJones

JJones

Dillon

Yeah, I guess he would be in the top 10, probably in with Ahman and Steven Jackson.

People are high on him because in his first full time action since his college injury he gained over 1100 yds in 11 starts and scored 13 TD's.

Losman is the new qb this year but he's not going to be much of a drop from Bledsoe, in fact barring the broken leg last season he probably would have started last year.

I'm not sold on MgAhee being in the Top 5 but I certainly like him enough to say Top 10.

818585[/snapback]

This is why I love McGahee this year.

11 games, 11.... 13 Tds and 1100 yards.

And I believe that the Bills are improved at quarterback.

But maybe I'm just biast :D

I see him as a top 3. LT2 and Alexander maybe ahead of him.

I know it's all opinions now, but just wait and see....

This guys got the goods.

Well, I didnt say he wasn't top ten, but I think he will struggle to make that list. In my opinion, the Bills line was bad last year, and this year it won't be any better.... it may be worse. I think teams will put 8 in the box and challenge Losman to throw instead. Whenever a team changes 3 offensive lineman, it takes time for them to gell, at least most of the time. They lost the LT, and that isn't a good thing. The RB's I'd easilly ranks above him are:

LT2

SA

Lewis

Priest (healthy)

McAllister (bounce back year)

Edge

Green

After that, there is a group that has any one RB that could be top ten, and McGahee is a part of this group:

Martin

Dillon

J Jones

K Jones

Portis

Tiki

D Davis

So, if McGahee lands in the middle of this group, he falls outside of the top ten. With an untested QB, and an O line that has just had a questionable makeover, I think McGahee will be lucky to land in the top ten at year's end.

What about Edge? They are probably pretty close, but I think James has the edge (pardon the pun) since Indy has more of a powerhouse offense than Buffalo.

818696[/snapback]

I was debating Edge but the TDs that Manning throws inside the 10 made me lean towards Mcgahee

This is why I love McGahee this year.

11 games, 11.... 13 Tds and 1100 yards.

And I believe that the Bills are improved at quarterback.

But maybe I'm just biast  :D

I see him as a top 3. LT2 and Alexander maybe ahead of him.

I know it's all opinions now, but just wait and see....

This guys got the goods.

818726[/snapback]

The question is how good is Losman?

Was last year the emergence of a predicted top NFL rookie draft pick? - the famous "it takes two years to come back from torn knee ligaments"? :D

I think there is some question as to whether that is so:

#1 Take a look at the 12 games where he saw significant action (11 games started). Arizona, Seattle, St. Louis, Miami *2, Cleveland, San Fran, and a meaningless game vs. Pittsburgh scrubs in game 17. You have ~920 total yards and 12 TDs. :D No wonder he had such great numbers!

#2 Does Buffalo have a comparably easy season ahead? No. :D No NFC West to pound on this year. Instead they get the NFC South, AFC West along with the Pats*2 and Jets*2. Woof. :D

#3 There is often a drop in production after teams get to see your game tape in the 2nd year of play ( the rare posibility of a 3rd year sophmore jinx? :D ). Add in 1st year starting QB and continually suspect O-line... :D

I'm of the thinking his year will be sporadic production. The defense will give him the opportunity, but I'm not sure he has the individual or team talent to go against this competition and perform at that elite level. At the end of the year you might see 1400 total yards and 8-10TD.

I see him as a late 2nd rounder possibly early 3rd. At the very least he's fools gold in the first round IMO. And there you have it.

Was last year the emergence of a predicted top NFL rookie draft pick?  - the famous "it takes two years to come back from torn knee ligaments"?  :D

I think there is some question as to whether that is so:

#1 Take a look at the 12 games where he saw significant action (11 games started).  Arizona, Seattle, St. Louis, Miami *2, Cleveland, San Fran, and a meaningless game vs. Pittsburgh scrubs in game 17.  You have ~920 total yards and 12 TDs.  :D  No wonder he had such great numbers!   

#2 Does Buffalo have a comparably easy season ahead?  No. :D  No NFC West to pound on this year.  Instead they get the NFC South, AFC West along with the Pats*2 and Jets*2. Woof.  :D

#3 There is often a drop in production after teams get to see your game tape in the 2nd year of play ( the rare posibility of a 3rd year sophmore jinx?  :D ).  Add in 1st year starting QB and continually suspect O-line...  :D

I'm of the thinking his year will be sporadic production.  The defense will give him the opportunity, but I'm not sure he has the individual or team talent to go against this competition and perform at that elite level.  At the end of the year you might see 1400 total yards and 8-10TD. 

I see him as a late 2nd rounder possibly early 3rd.  At the very least he's fools gold in the first round IMO. And there you have it.

818943[/snapback]

Great post, Doggy. Not that I'll get McGahee in either of my leagues this year (because he'll be kept) but I still like the cut of your jib.

Well, I didnt say he wasn't top ten, but I think he will struggle to make that list. In my opinion, the Bills line was bad last year, and this year it won't be any better.... it may be worse. I think teams will put 8 in the box and challenge Losman to throw instead. Whenever a team changes 3 offensive lineman, it takes time for them to gell, at least most of the time. They lost the LT, and that isn't a good thing. The RB's I'd easilly ranks above him are:

LT2

SA

Lewis

Priest (healthy)

McAllister (bounce back year)

Edge

Green

After that, there is a group that has any one RB that could be top ten, and McGahee is a part of this group:

Martin

Dillon

J Jones

K Jones

Portis

Tiki

D Davis

So, if McGahee lands in the middle of this group, he falls outside of the top ten. With an untested QB, and an O line that has just had a questionable makeover, I think McGahee will be lucky to land in the top ten at year's end.

818748[/snapback]

What, no love for Steve Jackson?

:D

Until we see what the Jackon/Faulk time split looks like, that backfield is a crap shoot.

819004[/snapback]

So you wouldn't take him in your top ten RB's if you drafted today?

819020[/snapback]

I wouldn't. Why not go for more of a sure bet? I think Jackson will do very well, but I don't know about top 10 with Faulk in the mix plus Martz' jacked up calls.

1. LT

2. Priest

3. Shaun

4. Edge

5. Jamal

6. McAllister

7. Portis

8.McGahee

9. K. Jones

10. J. Jones

819020[/snapback]

In an annual redraft, no way. Even in a deep keeper/dynasty league I'd be very hesitant to draft him early. Certainly not with either my first or second pick. Perhaps not even with my third.