[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why so high on McGahee?

Potman

For those of you who can't seem to get over the "but he scored TDs against bad defenses" argument and who obviously did not read this info when it was posted originally, here it is again editted to add the actual stats.

825757[/snapback]

Yeah, and there were 6 games where he scored 0 TDs. So for his TD production, half the time he did better than the average, and half the time he did worse.

Last year's production was very nice, but why should I expect more of the same or even better when so much has changed?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and by the way, the below info is just plain wrong.  MaGahee averaged over 4.0 ypc in four games over that stretch.

825757[/snapback]

Uhh...yeah...I REALLY misread the NFL.com game log. First of all, I was off count on the game weeks (NFL.com doesn't list Week 4 because McGahee didn't play). Also, I didn't mean to include "Week 5" (which I thought was the Miami game), because he had a 4.3-yard average. Also, I somehow overlooked the St. Louis game, in which he averaged 5.0. :D That was a pretty sorry attempt at posting fact. :D

Anyway, I guess my general point was that I remember McGahee having several high-yardage games, but not very many high YPC games. Looking at the game log correctly, four of McGahee's seven 100-yard games came with 27 carries or more. And, to comment with even MORE generality, a back who finishes the season with a 4.0 YPC average just doesn't seem very "special" to me. As Doggy mentioned, too many things have changed in Buffalo for me to believe he's going to score that many TDs. Without the TDs, McGahee's 4-yard average doesn't excite me very much.

Yeah, and there were 6 games where he scored 0 TDs.  So for his TD production,  half the time he did better than the average, and half the time he did worse. 

Last year's production was very nice, but why should I expect more of the same or even better when so much has changed?

826160[/snapback]

did Henry not play in all of those 6 games?.... :D

1)Yeah, and there were 6 games where he scored 0 TDs.  So for his TD production,  half the time he did better than the average, and half the time he did worse. 

2)Last year's production was very nice, but why should I expect more of the same or even better when so much has changed?

826160[/snapback]

My point was very simple. The "scoring against bad defenses" argument is a weak one because as bad as they may be, he made them look even worse. As for the info you added to conversation...

1)Shaun Alexander failed to score in 7 games last year, four of those games were against AZ,STL(2), MIN, but I don't hear anyone questioning that stat.

2)I already stated that I feel he is projected too high by many people so if this is your argument then go with it because it's solid reasoning but don't damage your own position by poorly utilizing stats just to pad it.

My point was very simple.  The "scoring against bad defenses" argument is a weak one because as bad as they may be, he made them look even worse. 

Perhaps taken by iteself it is weak, but I've attempted to paint a big picture and not just use one stat. It is absolutely justified to ask the question if his production had some consistancy and in what situations it came. It is the height of fantasy football blindness to simply take last year's stats and say a player will have similar numbers the next year. If he was playing the NFC West again, I'd be much higher on this guy.

None of the McGahee supporters are answering this question: why should I expect more of the same when so much has changed in Buffalo from last year to this year? Can you so easily glance over a first year QB and weak o-line?

Not in all, no.

826478[/snapback]

I'd think that in at least 3 of those games, Henry was the starter, if not sharing the load...

I haven't looked into this, because I refuse to look up stats on something that has no bearing on this upcoming season, not to mention..I hate when people load up replies with a bunch of stats...they end up using them to skew the argument....

plus it's a waste of time, having said that........