[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"2 Down Linebackers"

First, to clarify the meaning of a "2 down LB" in my understanding really means any linebacker who doesnt play in the nickel and dime team defenses on obvious passing downs. So, the name itself is misleading, there are plenty of 3rd and short situations where a defense will stay in thier standard formation. Often, it's the MLB who gets pulled, but that is not a rule of thumb, either.

I thought it might be interesting to list these "2 down backers", but I am not sure who they all are, especially heading into the 2005 season. Sometimes these guys can outscore thier 3 down counterparts as well. From my IDP mock team, Vilma is the only 3 down MLB backer of the bunch. Hartwell, MLB Atl., Quarles, MLB TBB, and Cowart, MLB MIN are all LB's who don't play in the nickel and dime defenses. With the defensive changes in Miami, is Zach Thomas a 3 down backer? Who are the LB's that get pulled in the nickel from the teams that run a base 3-4? Then there are those teams who sometimes use the 46 defensive alignment.... so, any listing of LB's who are 2 down players would be useful from homers here. I would stay away from most OLB's who arent involved in thier teams' nickel package, but in the MLB position it doesnt seem to be a major drawback. There are always the exceptions. :D

Rob Morris of the Colts has always been a two-down linebacker. Jim Nelson comes in in the nickel. Of course, Morris is currently unemployed, although there have been rumblings that the Colts might re-sign him. I am hoping not.