[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Random Number Generator for Draft Slots

Pancake

Anybody have any suggestions on a website that will generate 10 non sequencial random numbers from 1 through 10 and instantaneously email the results to several email addresses? In the past I used Tackls.com for this service but the website appears to be down.

DMD/WW: that would be a great little tool to have associated with your webiste (hint...hint....hint).

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

I don't know of any ranmdom number generator, but a lot of leagues use dice rolls to do this...

www.irony.com is the one I remember off the top of my head.

You could set it to roll 10 100-sided dice to give you a ranbom number between 10-1000.. very unlikely you will get a duplicate.

We do this to determine draft order in a few leagues. Either have each team generate their own roll or you can set it up and do it for them, with the result e-mailed to any number of e-mail addresses

Whats wrong with everyone drawing their number from a hat?

819990[/snapback]

The main prohibitive factor is great spans of earth.

Play in a league where you trust your commish...

819864[/snapback]

There you go. If you don't trust your commish maybe he shouldn't be your commish.

I realize that using the automated, high-tech stuff is much cooler but picking draft order is not exactly rocket science.

Play in a league where you trust your commish to take a deck of cards (#A - 10) and randomly draw draft order.  If you don't trust your commish, have his wife do it.

819864[/snapback]

Never thought I would have to defend my credibility when I posted this thread. :D But if you must know.....I was voted to be the commish mid year in 2003 as the former commish was "impeached" by the other league members. I feel that I am well trusted (as I was unanimously voted in) however I place an extra level of independance on myself. I not only want to be independant, I want to appear independant in all aspect...sometimes even (rarely) if it's unfair to me.

Never thought I would have to defend my credibility when I posted this thread. :D  But if you must know.....I was voted to be the commish mid year in 2003 as the former commish was "impeached" by the other league members. I feel that I am well trusted (as I was unanimously voted in) however I place an extra level of independance on myself.  I not only want to be independant, I want to appear independant in all aspect...sometimes even (rarely) if it's unfair to me.

820130[/snapback]

You're 100% right. This should be done via dice roll (or some monitored alternative) if there is to be any legitimacy to the process. "Trust" my ass. I trust all of my commishes, but they should not be responsible of the selection of random orders and things of that nature imo.

This is what I've used in all my leagues, and it works VERY well:

http://cgi.kenware.com/DiceServer.pl

819889[/snapback]

Thanks Hugh! That worked great. Draft order for my 10 team redraft league is all set! I'm pick #9....I really like that pick this year with the depth at RB I think I can get a couple of very good RBs with my swing picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

You're 100% right. This should be done via dice roll (or some monitored alternative) if there is to be any legitimacy to the process. "Trust" my ass. I trust all of my commishes, but they should not be responsible of the selection of random orders and things of that nature imo.

820138[/snapback]

never ever trust a commyshinner

Never thought I would have to defend my credibility when I posted this thread. :D

820130[/snapback]

Wasn't questioning your credibility, don't know why you assumed that.

Why would you play in a league with people who don't trust you to pick 10 cards from a deck and pre-select the draft order?

I wouldn't (and don't) play in such a league. I play with frends or friends-of-friends.

If people don't like it, f 'em and pick the order at the start of the draft (being sure you let everyone check to make sure the dice aren't loaded, of course)

"Trust" my ass.

820138[/snapback]

Ditto.

I've been playing in the same league with the same friends coming up on 9 years.....On-line random number generator is just the way I want to run the league. Nothing more to it, nothing less. Thanks again for all the input.

I've been playing in the same league with the same friends coming up on 9 years.....On-line random number generator is just the way I want to run the league.  Nothing more to it, nothing less.  Thanks again for all the input.

821266[/snapback]

Cool. Good answer. I agree. Friends, trust, man-love, whatever, bottom line, this is an easy, fair, quick way to set-up the order. Game over. Next. :D

Use the random number generator and ranking functions in Excel.

List teams in Column A, =RAND() in Column B and =Rank(.............) in Column C.

820101[/snapback]

Gotta' love it!

Anybody have any suggestions on a website that will generate 10 non sequencial random numbers from 1 through 10 and instantaneously email the results to several email addresses?  In the past I used Tackls.com for this service but the website appears to be down. 

DMD/WW: that would be a great little tool to have associated with your webiste (hint...hint....hint).

I'm going to work with DMD and Whitney to see if we can get that Draft Randomzier up on the site. Just to let you know, Tackls.com merged with my former site ProFantasySports.com and their draft randomizer was moved over to me. I spoke with DMD prior to joining the staff about this tool and he seemed interested. If a couple of you want it, I'm pretty sure we can arrange to have it up.

David, is this something we can do for the Huddlers?

I'm going to work with DMD and Whitney to see if we can get that Draft Randomzier up on the site. Just to let you know, Tackls.com merged with my former site ProFantasySports.com and their draft randomizer was moved over to me. I spoke with DMD prior to joining the staff about this tool and he seemed interested. If a couple of you want it, I'm pretty sure we can arrange to have it up.

David, is this something we can do for the Huddlers?

826183[/snapback]

Hmmm... well.... definitely yes (depending on what it takes to do it)

Hmmm... well.... definitely yes (depending on what it takes to do it)

It's just a couple of pages of code. Nothing dynamic. Would be pretty easy for Whitney to get up. It just needs a little cosmetic tweaking so that it matches the site. I'll contact Whitney, send him the code, and see what he can do.

Thanks Trainer Phil and DMD for even considering it.....and Trainer Phil, I don't care what everbody else is saying about you...you're all right in my book. :D

Play in a league where you trust your commish to take a deck of cards (#A - 10) and randomly draw draft order.  If you don't trust your commish, have his wife do it.

819864[/snapback]

and if you don't trust the commish relaying the info to the computer then what :D