[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Troop Injured

spain

Titans TE Ben Troop injured his foot at practice today. He was carted off the field and taken in for x-Rays. No word on the extent of the injury yet. I will update this thread as more news becomes available..

Troupe injures left foot

Setback may hurt development of second-year tight end

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Titans tight end Ben Troupe drew a crowd yesterday as he eased himself to the ground, his tingling left foot preventing him from taking another step.

Offensive coordinator Norm Chow arrived on the scene, followed by quarterbacks Steve McNair and Billy Volek and receiver Drew Bennett. Coaches across the way looked on as trainers examined the foot.

Troupe was scheduled for X-rays yesterday, but the team didn't make results available last night. Coach Jeff Fisher said after practice that he didn't think the injury was serious, but Troupe wasn't able to finish drills and was wearing a walking boot in the locker room 30 minutes later.

Judging from all the attention, the Titans are counting on big things from Troupe in his second NFL season. That's why players and coaches were crossing their fingers yesterday.

But based on the team's recent bad luck with injuries, it would also be easy to understand why some were bracing for the worst.

After initially feeling some irritation in his left foot earlier in practice, Troupe continued to play before coming out following a two-minute drill. He said he didn't feel anything pop, but "I'll know more after X-rays.''

The Titans haven't had good luck with foot injuries in practice in recent years. Defensive end Bo Schobel broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot last offseason, and former Titans defensive end Jevon Kearse suffered a similar injury on the practice field during the 2002 season.

If that's the case with Troupe, he'd miss the rest of the offseason camps and would be a question mark for the start of the season.

Until yesterday, everything had been positive for Troupe, whose head was spinning out of control this time last year while learning the playbook and various other facets of the NFL.

"I had a lot of anxiety and nervousness when I first got here," Troupe said. "But this time around I am not wide-eyed when I step in the huddle and Mac (McNair) is in there. I am not worried about everything.

"It's not that I am relaxed where I'm complacent, but I'm more settled down and know what to expect. I'll be a lot more prepared for the season."

It's clear that Tennessee's first pick of the 2004 draft has made great strides mentally and physically — not only since last year's minicamps, but since the end of the regular season in January.

Despite the change in offensive coordinators — Chow replacing Mike Heimerdinger — coaches said Troupe is much more comfortable with the playbook. Most noticeably, he's added about 12 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-4 frame.

"He has made remarkable gains in the weight room — incredible gains — and I am really excited about that," Fisher said. "It has not affected his speed or his quickness, and as long as that is there he can get as big as he wants. It will definitely help him on the playing field."

Troupe said he has spent the offseason in Nashville working out in the team's conditioning program. He finished last season at 255 pounds and estimates he now weighs around 265-270. He expects to shed some pounds during training camp, but he doesn't think the added strength will abandon him.

The extra size and strength should help Troupe improve his run blocking, which has been a point of emphasis in practices. The size should also allow him to break more tackles and increase his explosiveness off the line.

"I am going against big guys, 290-pound defensive ends, linebackers who can really shed blockers well. I have to be able to hold up against those guys," Troupe said. "The strength level is definitely a big thing for me this offseason, and I can tell a big difference already."

Troupe started slowly last season. He was inactive for two of the first three games and had just five catches in the first six games combined.

By the end of the season, however, he ended up with more receptions (33) and more yards (329) than any Oilers/Titans rookie tight end since Chris Dressell had 32 catches for 316 yards in 1983.

Chris Cooley of the Redskins was the only rookie tight end last season with more catches (37) than Troupe.

"I wasn't as down on him as a lot of other people last year," Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said. "You have a rookie tight end coming in and in a completely new situation. I mean, what can he do?

"But if you look at his numbers and his production, I don't think there was anybody even close to him from a tight end position last year. Now he is bigger and hasn't lost any speed and catches the ball better than he ever has. I would think we would hope he would have a chance to have a big year."

Said McNair: "I think he can take that leap and be one of the premier tight ends in the National Football League.''

In Chow's offense, the tight end is expected to get more opportunities than under Heimerdinger. Last season tight ends — Troupe, Erron Kinney and Shad Meier — combined for 83 catches.

This fall, coaches plan to move Troupe around in order to create favorable matchups, and tight ends are expected to be sent in motion more often and do more shifting prior to the snap.

"I think Ben has a lot more confidence in his ability to do things," said Kinney, who is entering his sixth season. "He's always had the physical tools, being able to run and catch the ball. I think in the blocking games, it's hard to tell without pads, but you get to see a little bit, especially with his hands and his initial pop, but he looks a lot better.

"I really do think it has as much has to do with confidence. I don't think he was ever weak, I think he's always been physically strong and able to do it, but I think he is more confident in what he is being called upon to do and he is just doing it." •

Jim Wyatt covers the Titans for The Tennessean. Reach him at jwyatt@tennessean.com or

Coach Jeff Fisher would not reveal the extent of the injury but said that Troupe would be ready for the start of the season. He said it was NOT a 'Jones Break" like Javon Kearse had..

Well, it looks like Troupe broke a bone in his foot. The injury is bad enough that the team's medical staff is considering surgery to repair it which would knock him out 2 - 3 months. Head coach Jeff Fisher has told reporters that the injury doesn't put his season in jeopardy which is great news, but before you take a chance on him you may want to keep an eye on his recovery.

Is it the 5th metatarsal like what happened to Jevon Kearse and Bo Schobel? The word is here that it was indeed a broken bone in the foot. But I havent heard exactly which bone, and the team has been very quiet on how severe other than Fishers comments. Word is that he will in fact go seek a second opinion after the doctor in NC examines him...

Well, it looks like Troupe broke a bone in his foot. The injury is bad enough that the team's medical staff is considering surgery to repair it which would knock him out 2 - 3 months. Head coach Jeff Fisher has told reporters that the injury doesn't put his season in jeopardy which is great news, but before you take a chance on him you may want to keep an eye on his recovery.

824021[/snapback]

Good to see that you're already dropping knowledge. :D

Is it the 5th metatarsal like what happened to Jevon Kearse and Bo Schobel?

Well according to the people I have spoken to the team's medical staff didn't believe that it was like the injury Kearse suffered in 2002. But this was before the MRI and you never know what those tests may reveal. You are right, the team is being very "hush-hush" about it and that usually isn't a good sign. But my gut feeling is that they want to know exactly what the problem is and how long he will be sidelined before they start releasing any details. Most professional athletes seek second and even third opinions on injuries if it means they will have they sit out an extended period of time and thats a good thing. You would hope they want to be sure about their injury before they either attempt to get back on the field or pull themselves out for several months.

Thanks Phil! I appreciate the insight you bring to our little community here. Local sports tonight reported that Troupe will be having surgery this week. Fisher reiterated that Troupe will in fact be ready for the season opener in Pittsburgh. Again he gave no time table and didnt get specfic on the injury other than to say that surgery will be required to fix the problem.

This will be a big blow to the Titans, imo, if Troupe is not 100% for the season. At the TE position, Frank Wycheck retired and Shad Meir was released and signed by the Saints. That leaves Eron Kinney and Troupe. Troupe was going to be getting alot of looks this year, because Kinney is not a threat. Big Ben was criticized heavily for not being a hard worker and not having the proper attitude that he needed to have to play on the professional level last year. But this off season the light seemed to come on for Troupe. He had worked very hard with trainer Steve Watterson this spring. This injury could set him and the Titans back significantly. I am keeping my metatarsals crossed on this one...

The Titans drafted Bo Scaife this year. He is an excellent recieving TE. He is not a very good blocking TE, but as a receiving TE, he will create a number of mismatches. So the Titans can use Kenney on rushing downs and Scaife on Passing downs. Obviosly it would be better to have a TE that could do both, but Troupes blocking has been questioned as well.

The Titans drafted Bo Scaife this year.  He is an excellent recieving TE.  He is not a very good blocking TE, but as a receiving TE, he will create a number of mismatches.  So the Titans can use Kenney on rushing downs and Scaife on Passing downs.  Obviosly it would be better to have a TE that could do both, but Troupes blocking has been questioned as well.

824181[/snapback]

Bo Scaife was the Titans 6th round pick out of Univ of Texas this year. I understand that they are pretty high on him. But he certainly wasnt really being counted on as a contributor this year. This was to be Ben Troupe's year to shine getting alot of looks. And Kinney would be the starter and primary blocking TE. Depending on the severity of Troupes injury, this may move Scaifes devlopmental time frame up

Bo Scaife was the Titans 6th round pick out of Univ of Texas this year.  I understand that they are pretty high on him.  But he certainly wasnt really being counted on as a contributor this year. 

824193[/snapback]

The only reason Scaife was a 6th round pick is that he had to sit out two seperate seasons with two seperate knee injuries. He has the best hands of any TE in the draft, people were just concerned with his knees.

Spoken like the Texas homer that I am. :D

Great Blue North had Scaife rated as the 16th best TE in the 2005 draft..

824205[/snapback]

That is what 2 knee surgeries in three years will do to you. Trust me, the guy has great hands, and will cause some major mismatches with LBs and Safeties.

I read that it is the fifth metatarsal.... but obviously, I can't compare it to the Kearse injury. But, it doesn't sound good to me. It's always a red flag when they won't talk like this. I think it could be worse than they are letting on.

That is what 2 knee surgeries in three years will do to you.  Trust me, the guy has great hands, and will cause some major mismatches with LBs and Safeties.

824219[/snapback]

Plus being a T-Sip he will be sashaying around and lisping, so he will have the defenses believing that he is actually cheerleader and they may let him go uncovered...

Plus being a T-Sip he will be sashaying around and lisping, so he will have the defenses believing that he is actually cheerleader and they may let him go uncovered...

824244[/snapback]

Just because he went to the UT that has the most National Championships, is no reason for you not to like him.

Just because he went to the UT that has the most National Championships, is no reason for you not to like him.

824246[/snapback]

Oh I didnt say I didnt like him. Its just that the chance of a male falling somewhere between metro-sexual and Richard Simmons on the masuclinity scale goes up exponentially with Longhorn grads....

This from the guy who's great great great grand father is the reason that Davey Crockett moved from Tennesse to Texas, because grandpappy spain thought that because Davey wore a coon skin hat that he was fair game like all the other farm animals.

Troupe has surgery on foot

Dr. Robert Anderson was scheduled to surgically repair the broken fifth metatarsal in Titans tight end Ben Troupe's left foot late yesterday afternoon in Charlotte, N.C.

Troupe suffered the injury Monday during a minicamp practice. Anderson is team orthopedist for the Carolina Panthers.

As for when Troupe will be able to return to action, Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said, "I'll wait until we hear from Dr. Anderson before we're able to talk about the timetable."

But Fisher stuck to his assessment from earlier this week that Troupe will be ready for the start of the regular season on Sept. 11.

The injury is "not as severe or extreme" as the fifth metatarsal breaks suffered by Jevon Kearse in 2002 and Bo Schobel last spring, Fisher said. Anderson also performed surgery on both those players. Schobel suffered his foot injury in the June minicamp last year and did not play in a game until Dec. 5.

Injuries similar to Troupe's have required 8-14 weeks of recovery after surgery. A 14-week recovery would take Troupe to Sept. 1.

After the injuries to Kearse and Schobel, the Titans addressed concerns about footwear that may not have offered enough support, but Fisher said he did not believe Troupe's cleats were a factor.

Offensive coordinator Norm Chow said it's disappointing that Troupe won't be on the field for the June minicamp or a significant part of training camp.

"We have such high expectations for him. We're trying to move him around, trying to get him in different spots like you see some other teams do with guys like (Chargers tight end) Antonio Gates," Chow said. "So that's going to hurt us."

Chow said he can do a lot of work with Troupe in the classroom.

The Titans now have only three healthy tight ends. Two undrafted rookies, Ben Hall from Clemson and Jimmy St. Louis from Murray State, worked behind veteran Erron Kinney this week. Sixth-round pick Bo Scaife is out until training camp after recent surgery to repair a sports hernia.

"We're going to need to get some help for the June camp and then going into training camp," Fisher said.

Snap decision: Fisher suggested there could be a training camp battle for the long snapping duties that have been handled by Ken Amato for the last two seasons.

At the very least the Titans expect second-year linebacker Robert Reynolds to take Fred Miller's place as Amato's backup.

"Last year he was just an average, maybe a below average long-snapper," Fisher said. "This year we'll have no reservation putting him in a ballgame as a snapper because he's worked on all different phases of his game."

Reynolds has been working at middle linebacker and faring well, Fisher said. The Titans would like for him to be prepared to serve as a backup at all three linebacking spots.

Court date: Receiver Tyrone Calico was booked and fingerprinted at the Metro Courthouse yesterday in connection with his public indecency charge from earlier this month.

Calico received a new court date — July 21 — when he's scheduled to appear before Judge Casey Moreland for a preliminary hearing. On that date it will be determined if the case needs to be prosecuted further.

Calico received a misdemeanor citation after a Metro Police officer spotted him unclothed in the backseat of his parked Cadillac Escalade with an 18-year-old female.

The officer said they were engaged in a sexual activity, something Calico denied at the scene. The woman was also charged with public indecency.

On their feet: Fisher said the young group of receivers did well in the minicamp to avoid the temptation of diving to make catches.

The Titans discourage players from leaving their feet in practice.

"We had a great situation where Brandon Jones missed a ball just out of the reach of his fingertips and he came back and said 'I could have had it if I dove,' " Fisher said. "I said, 'Well that's the best thing I can hear you say, because we don't want you diving for balls out here right now.'

"The whole emphasis out here is to learn how to protect each other