[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ziggy gets the Vikes

MikesVikes

He also wants an open air stadium:

From the Star and Tribune

At a news conference following his admission to the exclusive 32-member NFL owners' club, Wilf, of Short Hills, N.J., made a few things clear:

• A new stadium is a priority and he prefers an open-air facility, not a domed one as has been promoted by stadium boosters in Anoka County.

He confirmed he is in "negotiations with various [land] owners" in Anoka County.

Paul TagliabueLisa NippMinneapolis Star TribuneBut, most significantly, he said: "I'm a strong believer of an open [air] venue. ... I think that it is a good advantage to have some of the other teams come up to our nice warm Minnesota winters so they can enjoy playing football up where it hurts, a la Green Bay."

• He pledged to bring a Super Bowl team to Minnesota.

He said: "Of course, it's [a] dream to not only be competitive, but to reach the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. I will do my best to try to reach those goals."

• He said he is happy with the current management of the team, including Coach Mike Tice, but said he needs to evaluate contractual details before pondering an extension for Tice or other key front office personnel.

"We feel very confident with the organization we have in place right now," he said.

• He firmly stated relocating the Vikings to another city, if a stadium is not built, is not his intention.

"No way," he said. "To me this is not a matter of economics, this is a matter of passion. ... We will be in the Minneapolis area forever."

• He said he was not informed about the trade of star wide receiver Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders and dodged a question about his views of recent off-field incidents, such as Tice's ticket scalping and Onterrio Smith's drug-testing embarrassment. He had no comment

• He said Reggie Fowler, who was once the lead partner in the deal, would remain a partner in the new ownership, which also includes Wilf's brother, his cousin and two other New Jersey-area investors. Twin Cities car dealer Denny Hecker is not a part of the group.

Wilf wouldn't comment on what percentage of the team Fowler will own.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said of the transaction: "This is an ownership group that bodes well for the future of the Minnesota Vikings."

Minor details in the transaction were ironed out over breakfast this morning at the posh Ritz-Carlton Hotel, site of the NFL's spring meetings.

The way it should be.

823051[/snapback]

The way it won't be, though.

I read this morning that the Vikings never sold out a playoff game at the old Met. They've been indoors for 24 years, people here ain't sitting outside at the end of December. This is not Green Bay. :D

I would feel better if a local dude would have bought the team, but hopefully Zygy keeps his word keeps the team in MN.

I don't know if I will be going to any games in Nov. or Dec. anymore. Too cold to sit there 3+ hours! I hope they go with a retractable roof.

Bye Red, we won't miss you! :D:D:D

I read this morning that the Vikings never sold out a playoff game at the old Met.  They've been indoors for 24 years, people here ain't sitting outside at the end of December.  This is not Green Bay.  :D

823080[/snapback]

The Viqueens have Rosie O'Donnell fair weather fans...

I've been a VikQueens fan my entire life, but, yes, I admit I am a feline when it comes to cold weather, even though I have lived in Minnesota my whole life. I would rather watch on TV instead of freezing to death. :D:D

There is no doubt I would like an open air stadium, but like I said in an earlier post, it won't happen unless Zygi pays for it himself. As for the indoor stadium or retractable roof, the politicians argue that they will lose billions when they will not be able to host the superbowl and the final four etc. Since the Metrodome was built, weve had 1 superbowl and 1 final four...big f'n deal. The vikes will go to more playoff games though. You can argue that people won't go because of the cold, yesit will turn the wimps away, but I think they could sell it out. The NFL is more popular and has a biiger fan base than it did 30 years ago. How many domed teams have won a superbowl? 1 - The Rams and the only other team to go to a superbowl is the Falcons.

1961-2005

Here are some stats of the Vikings proving that playing outdoors has its advantage

NFL/NFC Championship Game: (8)

Met Stadium: 1969, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977

Metrodome: 1987, 1998, 2000

Division Champions: (16)

Met stadium: 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980

Metrodome: 1989, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2000

Playoff Appearences: (23)

Met stadium: 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980

Metrodome: 1982, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

Edited by Outshined

I read this morning that the Vikings never sold out a playoff game at the old Met.  They've been indoors for 24 years, people here ain't sitting outside at the end of December. 

823080[/snapback]

Sid can be Idiot....He is still pissed that Taylor didn't buy the team