[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans Still Trying to Trade for Travis Henry

spain

Oh, Henry: Adams says Titans want ex-Vol

Deal for unhappy Bills back could be on hold for awhile

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

If the Titans are able to strike a deal with the Buffalo Bills for running back Travis Henry, it would make one important person happy: owner Bud Adams.

"We're interested in Henry,'' Adams said yesterday from the NFL Meetings in Washington, D.C. "He wants to get out of Buffalo. We think he has a lot of ability. We think he has four good years left. Because of where he went to college I think he'd be real popular with the fans.

"I think he'd be a real good addition.''

The Titans and Bills first began discussing a trade involving the former University of Tennessee star during last month's NFL Draft, and the two sides continued dialogue on the subject into last week.

The Bills haven't moved away from their demand for a third-round pick in next year's draft in exchange for Henry. So far the Titans haven't been willing to go that high. They offered a fifth-round pick for Henry on draft day.

With Titans General Manager Floyd Reese currently out of town, talks with the Bills will probably be on hold for a bit. Henry has only has one year remaining on his current contract with the Bills, so the Titans would likely have to extend his deal as part of a trade.

Henry has two 1,000-yard seasons in his four years in the league, all with Buffalo. In 2002 he rushed for 1,438 yards, scored 13 touchdowns and was selected to the Pro Bowl. He followed that up in 2003 with 1,356 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Henry's playing time decreased in 2004, however, when the Bills turned the ball over to Willis McGahee, who was Buffalo's first-round pick in 2003. Henry has since said he wants out of Buffalo.

As for the Titans re-signing running back Eddie George, the franchise's all-time leading rusher, Adams didn't sound nearly as optimistic.

"Well, I'm not sure,'' Adams said. "Anything is a possibility.''

George, released by the Titans in July 2004 and played for the Dallas Cowboys last season, is a free agent. •

The Titans tried to acquire Bills RB Travis Henry in a draft-day trade, but don't want to give up a third-round pick next year for the former UT star.

FILE

www.tennessean.com

The Titans tried to acquire Bills RB Travis Henry in a draft-day trade, but don't want to give up a third-round pick next year for the former UT star.

823016[/snapback]

This is the bit I don't get. Surely TH is worth a 3rd rounder?

Certainly doesn't add to Brown's value.

823100[/snapback]

True 'nuff, but nearly every team is looking to have a pair of RBs these days instead of one and a stiff. TH would provide the Titans with a great option for the injury prone Brown.

True 'nuff, but nearly every team is looking to have a pair of RBs these days instead of one and a stiff.  TH would provide the Titans with a great option for the injury prone Brown.

823103[/snapback]

True dat, but TH made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to be a backup, and if he goes to Tennessee, I think he be hard pressed to take the starting job from Brown, barring injury (which seems likely enough I guess).

I think he's a good fit in Tenn, and would in fact be a fan favorite.

The Bills won't deal him for less than a third rounder,

and I'm sure eventually they will get it. Probably from Tennessee.

It seems that the value of rb's on the open market was depressed this year. And there will be more available after the June 1st cutdown date and then when people are released during and after training camp. The Titans deal for Cheese makes sense for a number of reasons.

1. Chris Brown cant stay healthy. Although he performed well last year, Brown proved once again that he simply isnt durable. If you cant play every week in the NFL, then you cant play in the NFL. There are major concerns about Browns ability to carry the load over a full season in Titanland. Somebody will be signed, whether its Henry or somebody else is yet to be seen.

2. Chris Brown will be an RFA after this season. He was a 3rd round pick out of Colorada 3 years ago. He needs a big year, but what if he is hurt again? Will the Titans match a big contract thrown out for him? If not, then they will need another rb, and Henry is a local favorite and former pro-bowler.

3. Henry has only 1 more year left on his contract. Any trade would be made contingent on Tennessee signing him to an extended contract. Or they could just keep him as insurance to see if Brown can actually carry the ball in excess of 300 times this season. if so, they re-sign Brown. if not, they sign Cheese after this season and let Brown go in RFA. One sticking point is that Cheese wants to be the starter wherever he goes, and he wont be the starter in Tennessee until Brown gets another hangnail.

True dat, but TH made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to be a backup, and if he goes to Tennessee, I think he be hard pressed to take the starting job from Brown, barring injury (which seems likely enough I guess).

823108[/snapback]

Well, Brown is injured already, so I'd say Travis has a fair shot.

I'm thinking henry will begin to see his options to be the clear cut starter are basically nil at this point, and would green light a trade to tennessee.

823295[/snapback]

True. Plus, i think the acrimonious relationship he has with the Bills is probably beyond repair at this point. I would welcome a trade for Henry. Maybe these guys can meet somewhere in the middle..say a 4th rounder next year. I am looking for another Music City Miracle against the Bills!

TH would provide the Titans with a great option for the injury prone Brown.

823103[/snapback]

I would say Brown would be a great option for the tough and durable Travis Henry. Brown just cannot stay healthy to be an every down back. They could let Brown start, and see how far he goes before he pulls a hammy, sprains an ankle, or tweaks his shoulder. Then Henry could finish out the game, and handle the next few starts until Christal heals up.

I agree this would be wise for the Titans (who need all the playmakers they can get), but this sucks from a fantasy perspective. Just another RBBC waiting to happen.

Brown may be injury prone, but when healthy he was great. I believe he led the league in ypc average. But with Travis backing him up you have to believe Fisher would be a bit quicker to give Brown the hook. Plus Travis is going to require a heckuva lot more carries than Antowain Smith.

I'd much rather see Travis go somewhere to be the clear cut #1 guy. All this will do is cause headaches for fantasy owners.

Am I the only one here that thinks Henry is a better RB than Brown to begin with? If I were the Titans, I'd get Henry cheap, and limit Brown's play so they can sign Brown to cheaper long term contract, and then trade Henry after he has a huge year.

They cut Mason

They cut Rolle

They Let folk go from both signs of the line...

and now they're talking about Henry....... When they ALREADY have Chris Brown? I don't get this at all. Henry wants big money. Why would a team in cap hell - with a whole bunch of other needs - pick up Henry - who is older then the guy they already have?

Edited by Duchess Jack

Am I the only one here that thinks Henry is a better RB than Brown to begin with?  If I were the Titans, I'd get Henry cheap, and limit Brown's play so they can sign Brown to cheaper long term contract, and then trade Henry after he has a huge year.

826261[/snapback]

I like your idea. But I do not think that Henry is necessarily a "Better" rb than Brown. On those rare occasions when Chris Brown is NOT injured and actually does play, he has been very very impressive. He has that upright running style a la Eric Dickerson. He looks like he isnt running fast but he constantly beats people to the corner who have an angle on him. Imagine this: If Brown was NOT injury prone and averaged the yards he has averaged when healthy over a full season or two, how high would he go in ff drafts this year? I posit that he would definitely be a top 5 rb. Again, that is pure fantasy because Brown is oft injured and I fear that trend will continue. But still...

If the Titans do make a trade for Henry, I think Brown is still the starter until he gets hurt. Henry will certainly get his carries. Maybe even as much as a 60/40 ratio, but more likely a 70/30 or even 80/20 split. Not good for ff players, but the Titans desperately need to solidfy the rb corps with injury history of Brown..

Not good for ff players, but the Titans desperately need to solidfy the rb corps with injury history of Brown..

826690[/snapback]

...and some people to catch the ball, some people to help protect the guy throwing the ball some people to go after the 'other guy' when he has the ball....

Just does not make sense. They have a lot of needs - and Henry wants BIG money and a BIG signing bonus.