[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Down Goes Marinovich

Guest Sores

Marinovich is a local kid. Really is a pretty sad story.

The headline should read "...arrested AGAIN", by the way. This is not the first time; nor do I think it will be the last, sadly.

Marinovich's dad was the classic hard-a$$ dad who, in his own day, was a decent athlete, but never amounted to squat. Lil Marinovich was like 5'9" and built like an Olympian when he was an 8th grader here in SoCal. He was the next Aikman, Marino, Elway... His dad literally worked him like a slave. Fed him "supplements". Berated him to no end when he missed an open receiver. Etcetera, etcetera. Moving on to high school, he was a god. Countless passing records, tons of wins. His alma mater has continued to pump out solid QBs, by the way (Mark Sanchez, going to USC, of all places... some Carson Palmer guy... to name a couple). The guy goes to USC and continues to set records (passing %, completions in a game, longest pass) and only after 2 years, is #2 on the all-time passing list based on completions and #4 in terms of total offense.

Mid-post edit: I take that back, he did NOT go to the same HS as Sanchez & Palmer. They went to Mission Viejo HS... Marinovich, while he lived in Mission Viejo, attended Capo Valley HS. Even still... it's a hotbed of QBs.

Anyways, the guy's had a rough life; sure, he's made his own bed in terms of the drugs and what-not... but the guy was messed up to begin with thanks to his piece of crap dad. Hope he straightens himself out.

Yes it is.  But real sympathy should be reserved for those that never had a chance, not those that had one and tossed it in the trash.

824338[/snapback]

without knowing the whole story, and none of us ever could, from what i've heard, it sounds like he went through a personal hell. reminds me of the story a few years back, where a kid around high school age was so sick of the pressure and hell his dad was putting him through, that he shot and killed his dad.

You know I hate to sound likea hard a$$ but a lot of people grow up with overbearing parents without trashing their lives with drugs. Marinovich is making his own chices now and has been for a long time.

This guy has had three chances to play the game he loves and escape his past. He blew chances in the 3 main Pro Football Leagues in North America, the NFL, CFL and AFL have all given him a chance to play and he has allowed drugs to cut short all 3 chances.

Most people never get 1 chance like that and he has had 3. I agree with whoever it was that said don't waste your sympathy on this guy. Feel for the guy that never even got 1 shot.

I don't feel sorry for Marinovich because he blew his chances or that he had a crappy dad. I feel sorry for him because he's getting busted for shooting up in a public toilet in Newport Beach.

I have a great deal of sympathy for addicts who just can't shake it.

I can remember a sports illustrated that had a article about how this kid had never had fast food and was almost praising this kid's father for his dedication to his son's health...well what do you think now???? 36 and acting like a lost 17-19 year old!!!! This is exactly what you can get when you push so hard and do not allow your kid to be a kid...They become a rebel adult looking to live some kind of childhood later in life....This father push so hard and once his kid got away from the nest...BOOM...he broke loose with freedoms and bad choices because he had no self worth and probaly was easily guided to the dark side of drugs by some other loser since he was not able to make any choices in life on his own. This is sad, but stories like this help me to understand I'm here to guide my son but not live his life for him or live my life through him. "getting off my soap box now"

Edited by sacosud