[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lets Talk About Marijuana

spain

Weed. Chronic. Pot. Reefer. Spliff. Sherm. Mary Jane. Whatever you want to call it, why does the NFL care if athletes smoke Josh Gordon? Who really cares? Why do they have the same penalty for pot as they do for steroids, herione, cocaine, meth, and crack? Does Josh Gordon enhance your performance in some way? No! Does it make you run faster? No! Jump higher? No! Make you stronger? No! Does it kill you? No!

I could care less if Ricky Williams or Onterrio Smith smoke pot. It doesnt give them an unfair advantage over anyone else in the game. It doesnt affect their performance to any great degree(see NBA players). Why even test for such a benign substance? They dont test for alcohol useage. I know pot is illegal, but so are alot of other things that arent tested for. I just dont see the rationale for the testing for pot, and the harsh penalties for getting caught. Discuss..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you want to call it, why does the NFL care if athletes smoke Josh Gordon?

826258[/snapback]

Methinks it's because in this great nation of ours...it's illegal.

Duh!!! :D

Nothing to see here...move along.

weed is supposedly a gateway drugs that leads to cocaine, heroin, whathaveyou. if you try Josh Gordon and like it, you may also try coke and like it too. aren't people just really escaping lifes troubles by using drugs? i can answer that with a heartfelt F_ck No!! people just want to feel euphoric sometimes.

Methinks it's because in this great nation of ours...it's illegal.

826264[/snapback]

True, but my employer doesnt test me. As a matter of fact, other than a pre-employment drug screen, most employers dont test for drugs without some probable cause. Why should professional athletes be any different? The guys I want tested for drugs are the airplane pilot, my heart surgeon, and truck drivers. How does the performance of an athlete really affect us? How exactly are their drug habits of any consequence to anyone other than themselves? Since Josh Gordon isnt performance enhancing, why should it be on the list of drugs that are tested for by the NFL?

Edited by spain

Weed.  Chronic.  Pot.  Reefer.  Spliff.  Sherm.  Mary Jane.  Whatever you want to call it, why does the NFL care if athletes smoke Josh Gordon? 

826258[/snapback]

to prevent weight gain fromt he munchies... :D:D

For much the same reason any business uses drug testing to keep it away from the workplace plus in the NFL it is a business of entertainment with each team trying to appeal to their individual fanbases and the league interested in maintaining the overall personality and public perception about the sport. It is their business and if they do not want to include people that perform illegal acts, then it is their right.

The guys I want tested for drugs are the airplane pilot, my heart surgeon, and truck drivers. 

826284[/snapback]

Oh, now you want to single certain professions out?

If it's okay for athletes to toke up on their own time, why not everyone else?

Where's that kettle & pot icon when you need it...

For much the same reason any business uses drug testing to keep it away from the workplace plus in the NFL it is a business of entertainment with each team trying to appeal to their individual fanbases and the league interested in maintaining the overall personality and public perception about the sport. It is their business and if they do not want to include people that perform illegal acts, then it is their right.

826302[/snapback]

I agree with you DMD!

Who cares anyway? I think one other point that must be considered is the amount of children that look up to these players. If they see their favortie NFL players smoking Josh Gordon without some sort of penalty, why should they think it would be any different for them? Matters like that have a big influence on kids.

Oh, now you want to single certain professions out?

If it's okay for athletes to toke up on their own time, why not everyone else?

Where's that kettle & pot icon when you need it...

826308[/snapback]

My reason in pointing out these professions was simply to illustrate how other peoples jobs have a MUCH greater impact on our lives than that of a guy playing a childs game. If my heart surgeon does a wake and bake the morning of my triple by pass, I can be hurt. If an airline pilot decides to take a bong hit prior to a "red eye" flight, hundreds of people can be killed. If Onterrio Smith decides to toke out, who is hurt? Nobody. And that is the point. Athletes dont require any greater scrutiny than anyone else, probably less in light of the consequences their personal behavior has relative to others...

True, but my employer doesnt test me. 

826284[/snapback]

Why should someone test the guy that mops the peep show booths ? :D

Edited by whomper

True, but my employer doesnt test me.

826284[/snapback]

Don't you think that possibly one of the reasons your employer doesn't test you, is because maybe your job isn't quite so high profile? You're not on National TV 16 times minimum per year are you? You don't have multi million dollar endorsement deals being thrown at you do you?

BTW, a lot of large employers now do random drug testing beyond the intitial pre employment screening. Lowers their insurance costs significantly dontcha' know.

826302[/snapback]

What businesses are drug testing, other than the pre-employment screen or with some probable cause? A very small percentage. And I didnt say they didnt have the right to test the players, especially with a weak ass NFLPA commisioner like Gene Upshaw who rolls over for whatever the league wants. But the fact of the matter is, nobody would even know these guys were smoking Josh Gordon without the postive test results coming back that the LEAGUE itself administers. The NFL hurts their own public perception by testing players! Everybody now knows about Onterrio Whizzinator Smith and Ricky Williams, not because they got busted, but because they were either trying to beat a drug test, or failed them already. The league brings that negative publicity on itself by testing for a harmless, albeit, illegal substance. Its stupid and totally unnecessary. I dont even smoke Josh Gordon, so I need some assistance from the potheads on the board...

The guys I want tested for drugs are the airplane pilot, my heart surgeon, and truck drivers

826284[/snapback]

If this is the group you want tested spain, then you'll be glad to know that for the most part, at least the two of the three are.

Can't speak to heart surgeons, but I do know that the airlines have random drug screening, as do a lot of the trucking lines.

The reason is not so much that the companies are trying to do the morally right thing by the public, but the almighty dollar and their bottom line, demands it.

Economically, the break they get on their insurance, is large enough to off-set the costs of the random drug tests.......and then some.

Dollars and cents my boy....dollars and cents. :D

Don't you think that possibly one of the reasons your employer doesn't test you, is because maybe your job isn't quite so high profile? You're not on National TV 16 times minimum per year are you? You don't have multi million dollar endorsement deals being thrown at you do you?

BTW, a lot of large employers now do random drug testing beyond the intitial pre employment screening. Lowers their insurance costs significantly dontcha' know.

826326[/snapback]

Well, do any major corporations test their CEO's who are high profile? Nope! Is Dubya tested by the government? Nope! The profile doesnt seem to matter vis a vis testing. The endorsement deals arent the issue either. crappy shoes from spammers, Coke, or McDonalds arent the folks demanding a drug test. It is the league that does the testing.

The endorsement deals arent the issue either.  crappy shoes from spammers, Coke, or McDonalds arent the folks demanding a drug test.

826333[/snapback]

Uh huh....surrrrre!

Please tell me you're not so naive as to think that the mega corporations who like to use athletes to promote their products, don't have annnyyyyyy influence on the NFL and it's drug testing policy.

I know you're not that innocent. You can stop the fishing trip anytime now spain :D

Well, do any major corporations test their CEO's who are high profile?  Nope!  Is Dubya tested by the government?  Nope!

826333[/snapback]

Guess you've never heard of the "GOLDEN RULE" before?

It goes something like this;

He with the Gold....Rules! :D

Thing of it is.......it's true :D

Guess you've never heard of the "GOLDEN RULE" before?

It goes something like this;

He with the Gold....Rules! :D

Thing of it is.......it's true :D

826339[/snapback]

Columbian Gold? :D