[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers WR's -

max

Steelers' wide receivers will display versatility, diversity

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Life after Plaxico Burress might not be so bad, Hines Ward believes. It could be better, for Ward and for the Steelers' passing game as a whole.

The names of the receiving game now are versatility and diversity. It's no knock against the 6-foot-5 Burress, Ward emphasized, but he, Antwaan Randle El and newcomer Cedrick Wilson can do more with less height.

"I know Plax was an integral part as far as he gave you that height," Ward said, "but with Antwaan's versatility, my versatility and you add in Ced's versatility, we've been playing a lot of interchangeable positions, where Plax, he was our deep-threat guy."

The Steelers hope to use the speed and quickness of Randle El and Wilson to make up for the loss of Burress. All three are practicing the basic three wide receiver positions -- X (split end), Z (flanker) and F (slot). They also are disguising those positions more this spring to the point that the X can line up in the slot, yet remain, essentially, the split end. They did some of that with Burress last season, but not often.

"We tried to put him in the slot, but, when we did that teams knew we were trying to get him the ball in the slot, because he never played it," Ward said. "But Antwaan and myself, we can go X and the Z. So, I might get some deeper routes down the field."

Ward chafes at being labeled a possession receiver and noted that his 12.6 yards per catch last season compared favorably to many of the top receivers in the league. Marvin Harrison averaged 12.9 yards a catch, Eric Moulds 11.9, Chad Johnson 13.4 and Derrick Mason 12.2 -- all among the leading receivers in the AFC. Ward caught five passes for 109 yards (21.8 average) and a 30-yard touchdown in the AFC championship game and also had 105 yards against the New York Jets in the playoffs.

With Burress gone, the 6-foot Ward becomes the tallest receiver of the top three. Randle El and Wilson stand 5-10.

"Maybe I'll get some fades in the end zone or something," Ward said, laughing. "I think I've worked harder to this point because I have more to prove now. People say you can't do it without Plax. It has nothing to do with Plax. Plax is gone, let's move on."

Before Ward, 85 receptions in a season was the Steelers' record. He topped that three of the past four years. His total slipped to 80 last season mostly because the Steelers ran the ball 61 percent of the time, more often than any NFL team in the past 20 years. Nevertheless, he caught the highest percentage of passes for his team than any of the top receivers in the league.

"If I don't go out and catch 80, 90 balls, it's not because Plax isn't here," Ward said. "If I only get 80 opportunities and catch 70 of those 80, it doesn't mean I was affected by Plax. It's a total team effort, no one guy can control it. If that was the case, Minnesota wouldn't have let Randy Moss go. You want a makeup of great team and at the wideout position. We have that. Yes, we lost Plax, but we're starting to jell with one another and complement one another."

By having all three receivers play all three positions, coordinator Ken Whisenhunt hopes to confuse defenses more in 2005.

"We always had Plax in a certain spot," Whisenhunt said. "Everybody kind of knew he would be there. The advantage we have now with Cedrick, Randle El and Hines, these guys are all interchangeable. You can line them up anywhere.

"Sometimes defenses would set their fronts, based on how the receivers lined up because they knew Plax was the X and Hines was the Z. Having three guys so versatile makes us a little bit harder to defend, I hope."

Edited by max

Plax's height will be missed, and the Pittsburgh passing game will have to adjust. The question, of course, will be how well? I'm not sure Wilson and Randle-El are the answer. :D

Plax's height will be missed, and the Pittsburgh passing game will have to adjust. The question, of course, will be how well? I'm not sure Wilson and Randle-El are the answer.  :D

826604[/snapback]

I agree with you there. Even if Plax doesn't actually catch the ball he does use up an extra defender. I cant see Wilson or Randle-El demanding double coverage. Another thing Randle-El needs to start doing is make up his mind where he is going to run as soon as he catches the ball instead of dancng around. He seems to take his biggest advantage (his speed) away from himself by dancing around with the ball. When dancing around he is no faster than anyone else on the field.

I hope Gibson does work out well. I think he was a good pick but am not sure of the impact he will have his rookie year.

I agree with you there.  Even if Plax doesn't actually catch the ball he does use up an extra defender.  I cant see Wilson or Randle-El demanding double coverage.  Another thing Randle-El needs to start doing is make up his mind where he is going to run as soon as he catches the ball instead of dancng around.  He seems to take his biggest advantage (his speed) away from himself by dancing around with the ball.  When dancing around he is no faster than anyone else on the field.

I hope Gibson does work out well.  I think he was a good pick but am not sure of the impact he will have his rookie year.

826733[/snapback]

Plax will not be missed. El will spread the field and make people drop deep after he goes 90 the first time.

Plax will not be missed. El will spread the field and make people drop deep after he goes  90 the first time.

826798[/snapback]

Ahhhhhh Polk......I love you, man! :D

I think their stradegy sets up better this year and the versatility is key. If they ALL can run X, Y or Z, then defenses will have a very tough time figuring out the play route.

I'm also in the camp that Plax will hardly be missed. Thanks for the time here, but on to better things. :D

i'm undetermined on how i feel about the wr situation. i just don't see how its going to be improved by losing burress and adding wilson and gibson. randel el really needs to be the one to step up to the plate as the number 2 guy. transition time is over, we will find out soon enough if he's only good enough to be a number 3. i hope he cranks it up. i liked him when he was at indiana running and throwing all over the place.

Now that I thnk about it a little more. The transition may not be quite as bad as I originally thought since they did have to play without Plax for several games last season due to injury.

Plax will be missed what with his height and his awsome 13" vertical leap

(as domonstrated in the end zone with single coverage)....

I know, as a Steeler fan, I will also miss his disruptive presence. :D

Edited by jackshi17

I know Plax is impressive physically but I'm not so sure what the ruckus is about.

Plax stats were 35/600+/5tds. El's were 43/600+/3tds. Much of El's production, including 2 of his 3 tds, came with Plax out. Sounds like a capable replacement to me.

I just have a gut feeling on Ward this year. I'm thinking Plax's leaving will result in more opportunities, production will be better than last year, and potentially flirt with the top 5. He has the talent to get balls even if teams try to smother him IMO.

This all sounds like silly coach's optimism to me. Are we really supposed to believe that it's a GOOD thing that your top 3 WRs are under 6 feet tall?

There's a reason teams covet height at the receiver position -- it gives the WR an advantage when they're covered. Especially with a young QB like Roethlisberger, a wideout who can grab the jumpball is a great asset who will save a handful of INTs and grab a couple of TDs as well.

I'm not saying Burress was the answer, but the quote from Hines Ward didn't make much sense. When they put Plax in the slot, teams "knew" they were trying to get him the ball? If that were the case, why didn't they use him as a decoy? That's what offensive coordinators are supposed to do. If Plax was getting all kinds of attention in the slot, Ward should have been catching more balls on the outside.

Having three guys who are all very similar in their playing styles might cause some unpredictability on offense, but I doubt it will be a big concern for D-coordinators. Only one of the three WRs has proven himself to be a reliable target, so I'd expect the coverage to roll his way on almost every play. Randle El and Wilson haven't looked "special" to me yet, so I'm sure most DCs will be comfortable covering them 1-on-1 with their #2 and #3 CBs.

I generally agree Swiss, a lot of that article does seem like coach speak, but NE has done pretty well with those 6' and under types. I suspect they'll be OK. Everyone has to try and stop the run first vs. the Steelers.

This all sounds like silly coach's optimism to me. Are we really supposed to believe that it's a GOOD thing that your top 3 WRs are under 6 feet tall?

827147[/snapback]

Indy does seem to have much of a problem ... Harrison 6'0" Wayne 6'0" Stokley 5"11" ... granted they do have a combined 3" over Ward, Randle El, and Wilson

All depends on how reliable the guy passing the football is, and how reliable the guy catching the football is. As proven by Manning and his 3 sidekicks.

Ward has one of the best reception %'s in the league ... he is a stud at grabbing the pigskin when it comes near him.

Also, 40% of the top 10 leaders in receptions, receiving yardage, and receiving td's are 6'0" or under. If CJ and Horn weren't 6'1" they would bump that up quite a bit.

All goes back to who is throwing it and who is catching it.

FYI ... Derrick Mason is 5'10" and Coles is 5'11" ... most people will not have problems drafting them ... granted they have proven themselves to be good fantasy picks in the past, but the point I am trying to make is that height alone is not a good indicator of fantasy value. The guy has to be able to play.

Edited by 1stimer

...a wideout who can grab the jumpball is a great asset who will save a handful of INTs and grab a couple of TDs as well.

Plax was horrid at the jump ball which defies all logic but it's true. He wasn't even very good at catching the ball at it's highest point above the smaller defenders like Moss does... he rarely even tried it. I was frustrated every time he attempted to let the ball come down to his chest only to have the defender bat it away at the last second. Go get the ball above the smaller defender!!!!!!!!!

However, Plax did stretch the field and that's what Randel El, or Wilson, or someone else is going to have to replace... but Plax never used his height, so that won't be missed.

Yeah, I had noticed that as well. That's why my next sentence was "I'm not saying Plax was the answer." I was commenting more on the coaches' and players' extolling the virtues of having a bunch of short receivers.

827920[/snapback]

15-1?

I agree, Plax HURT the Steelers more than helping.

He falls down to catch a high ball. His feet essentially drop out from under him, thus negating his size completely. He also has THE worst hands in the NFL. Period end of story. He has to pat the ball into the air to catch it. He has never progressed as a WR the whole time in Pittsburgh. This is a team that turns QBs into stars WRs. He hurt us all year, but especially in the AFC championship game.

He's got future TE all over him. Slap 30 lbs on him and teach him to block. The Giants front office should be fired.