[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer talk revisited

Guest THEbigred

Guest THEbigred

At least I assume "revisited" is correct ie this has been talked about before....

Gotta admit I'm getting to be a sort of beer snob in my old age. I wouldn't decline a free Bud or Miller (or most other domestic brews) if there's nothing else around, but I'll probably never buy it again unless I basically have no choice. And it's not due to some status BS like it is with the mindless trend paid friends either. There are just simply better beers out there.

If money is no object, I'll usually go to an English beer (Boddingtons is my fav). Their foods sucks but man they know their beer. Germany and the like aren't far behind though.

For a "regular" beer, I tend to lean towards something like any Canadian beer not names Labatts, or Yeungling Black and Tan or the light - the lager sucks for some reasons (and no it's not night-and-day above the other domestics, but IMO there is a notable diff on average). Once in awhile I'll grab a St Paulis girl, also their beer is pretty good :D

You?

If money is no object, I'll usually go to an English beer (Boddingtons is my fav).  Their foods sucks but man they know their beer.  Germany and the like aren't far behind though.

826689[/snapback]

Newcastle ale. Mmmmm.

Hmmmmmm...... BEER! When I'm not drinking something I've brewed myself, some of my favorites are almost any ( Ishould say most) of the American micro brewed IPA's (Gogfish Head, Bluepoint, Brooklyn Sierra Nevada, ect) Almost any English Bitter is good too, but I still like the Boddinton Cream ale with widget as a lighter style of beer. I'm not a big fan of lagers, and even less of most of the Canadian beers. I find St Pauli to be like Hieneken and Molson, the hops are oxidized which gives the beer a "skunkiness".

Sam Adams has some good beers, the Cream Stout and Stock ale are good. Anchor makes a real nice Porter. The English Porters are good too. I better stop before this turns into a novel!

My favorites:

chimay

- all

Hoegaarden

- white

826735[/snapback]

Tasty.

I drink a large number of beers. These include:

Carlsberg

Harp

Guinness

just about anything from Bell's (a Kalamazoo MI brewery - try the Oberon)

just about anything from Hacker-Pschorr

Fuller's ESB

Duvel

just about anything Belgian

and my current favorite - Bitburger

Edited by Furd

I've taken a liking to the Belgian style ales of late.

Three Philosophers from Ommegang Brewery has been my favorite of late.

Dogfish Head Immort Ale is also very nice.

I just had a Traquair House Ale from Scotland last night--very nice

Acme Brown Ale is good.

Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout and Young's Double Chocolate Stout are quite good and better than Guiness in my opinion.

I love a Harp.

If that's not available, I go for a brown... Sammie Smit Nut Brown or Newcastle.

Last resort... I'll drink a Bass.

And always... always copious amounts of Keystone Light.

Wheat beers and fruity beers piss me off. If I want food flavor, I'll order some food with my beer.

Harp is my beer of choice. When I lived in Italy I used to be able to get a mug of somethign called Harp Strong. Now THAT was a beer! I haven't been able to find it anywhere else... not even in Ireland. Go figure.

When Harp is not at the ready, I'll take a nicely priced Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, and if nothing else, the always available Heineken.

This thread is really working my imagination here. Holy crap, I'm going to get a Harp right now!!!

I know I've had a message board conversation with Rovers about this, but in my humble opinion, the greatest beer ever is Troegs Sunshine Pilsner. Unfortunately, it is seasonal and only available in a three hour radius of Harrisburg PA. I go into a serious jones during the winter when I run out.

Tasty.

I drink a large number of beers.  These include:

just about anything from Bell's (a Kalamazoo MI brewery - try the Oberon)

826747[/snapback]

:D for Oberon. Great summer brew. Try some stuff from Michigan Brewing Company. Their Celis Grand Cru is really good stuff. The Celis White is very good too.

Lone Star, Coors Light, and Stroh's are good.

You Guiness drinkers are idiots. It tastes like grease use to fry fish laced with hops.

826878[/snapback]

Perhaps that's why we like it. :D

Lone Star, Coors Light, and Stroh's are good.

You Guiness drinkers are idiots. It tastes like grease use to fry fish laced with hops.

826878[/snapback]

Polk is still in school. He has a lot to learn.

For "crap" beer, I like Miller Light or Coors Light. Actually, Pacifico is just as cheap here in SoCal; I like Pacifico. With a lime... :D

I love Harp, Beck's (sometimes), Newcastle (try putting some apple cider - the alcoholic version - in there).

I also LOVE Lemon Lager. It is most definitely not "fruity". A good lager with a fresh lemony (and somewhat sweet) taste. Not sure if it's out of production, but I can't find it at either of the local brew pubs (each have 100+ taps) nor can I find it at the local wine/beer emporium (10,000+ sf... wow).

Mmm, beer.

I'm off to San Francisco for a few days; I'll most likely sample an Anchor Steam or 8.

:D

My favorites:

Franziskaner

- dunkel and hefe

chimay

- all

Hoegaarden

- white

edit: also like a lot of others: boddington, paulaner, murphy's.....to new a very few

826735[/snapback]

Check, check, and check on all 3.

I also tend to enjoy Young's Double Chocolate Stout on occasion, and prefer Murphy's Irish Stout over Guinness.

For my everyday beer, I usually find something brewed locally, typically Summit EPA or Schells Firebrick Lager. For a cheap beer to bring up to the cabin for a week, then it's Grain Belt Premium all the way.