[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A couple interesting tidbits

CaptainHook

Pro Football Weekly has a nice column called "The Way We Hear It" that they continue to run in the off-season. Here are a couple intereting things I saw:

Colts QB Peyton Manning, offensive coordinator Tom Moore and QB coach Jim Caldwell have reviewed much of the game tape from the 2004 season. The verdict? Manning failed to convert on a lot of TD opportunities. Manning claims the sessions turned up “17 legitimate misses,” which seems absurd considering he had 49 TD passes in ’04.

Team trainers in Jacksonville are designing a workout to help first-round pick Matt Jones adjust to the WR position. Jones, a quarterback at Arkansas, has a history of hamstring and groin problems. He was able to mask or play through the injuries as a quarterback but, with more sprinting involved as a receiver, the Jaguars plan to be cautious of wearing down Jones, which could lead to leg muscle injuries.

Team observers suggest that S Nick Collins, one of the Packers’ second-round picks, will be a long-range project. After practice sessions in May, it became evident that Collins had the speed but not the instincts or anticipation to help out immediately.

A source close to the Ravens says QB Kyle Boller, after looking shaky early in the May minicamp, picked up his play as it progressed.

The recent hand injury to Titans RB Chris Brown might be the final straw, causing the team to add a veteran who can compete with the injury-prone Brown. The two most common names in public discussion have been Eddie George and Bills RB Travis Henry, but sources in Tennessee say the team is not champing at the bit to get either. In Henry’s case, the team likes him but not might be willing to match Buffalo’s asking price of a first-day draft pick.

They are usually dead on. There are some other good ones. But these were the ones that stood out to me.link

Edited by CaptainHook

Good stuff...one thing I wonder about the Peyton Manning bit though. Does the 17 missed opportunities take into account times when they scored anyways ? Example ....Peyton misses a TD opportunity on 2nd down but gets the TD on 3rd down or later in the same drive. Also, the fact that he had SO MANY scores within the 5 sort of offsets his missed opps I think. Most years Edjerrin or Rhodes would have had a lot of those TDs that were play action TDs last year.

Team observers suggest that S Nick Collins, one of the Packers’ second-round picks, will be a long-range project. After practice sessions in May, it became evident that Collins had the speed but not the instincts or anticipation to help out immediately.

829131[/snapback]

I'm also a big fan of PFW's whispers, and this was the issue with Collins during the draft. The guy is supposed to have the smarts/instincts of a blind gnat. :D

So far, the news out of Packers HQ has been fairly sanguine regarding all the draft picks, but I have a hunch this will be a major stumbling block and a big issue during training camp.

Good stuff...one thing I wonder about the Peyton Manning bit though.  Does the 17 missed opportunities take into account times when they scored anyways ?  Example ....Peyton misses a TD opportunity on 2nd down but gets the TD on 3rd down or later in the same drive.  Also, the fact that he had SO MANY scores within the 5 sort of offsets his missed opps I think.  Most years Edjerrin or Rhodes would have had a lot of those TDs that were play action TDs last year.

829160[/snapback]

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. But, I don't think much changes this year. Petyon will still be chucking it.

Good stuff...one thing I wonder about the Peyton Manning bit though.  Does the 17 missed opportunities take into account times when they scored anyways ?  Example ....Peyton misses a TD opportunity on 2nd down but gets the TD on 3rd down or later in the same drive.  Also, the fact that he had SO MANY scores within the 5 sort of offsets his missed opps I think.  Most years Edjerrin or Rhodes would have had a lot of those TDs that were play action TDs last year.

829160[/snapback]

My guess would be that the 17 misses do not include drives in which a TD was eventually scored. I only make this assessment because the misses are refferred to as "legitimate misses". I would guess that these misses are referring to drives that ended in either FG's due to incomplete passes on 3rd down or Manning turnovers.

Of his 10 picks 1 was at the SD 6 yd line, 1 was at the Tenn 2 yd line, 1 was at the NE 1 yd line and 4 more were in the opponents end zone. So there is 7 legitimate TD misses right there and Vanderjagt had 6 fg atempts from 20 - 29 yds which means those were drives that stalled at the 11 yd line or better. So it wouldn't be hard to find 17 additional missed TD's to add to Mannings 49 that he actually did convert.

But what about the work ethic, instead of resting on the laurels of throwing 49 TD's he's trying to figure out how he could have thrown 63 TD's.

But what about the work ethic, instead of resting on the laurels of throwing 49 TD's he's trying to figure out how he could have thrown 63 TD's.

829579[/snapback]

Actually 66 TD's. :D

Does the 17 missed opportunities take into account times when they scored anyways ? 

829160[/snapback]

My guess would be that the 17 misses do not include drives in which a TD was eventually scored. I only make this assessment because the misses are refferred to as "legitimate misses". I would guess that these misses are referring to drives that ended in either FG's due to incomplete passes on 3rd down or Manning turnovers.

Of his 10 picks 1 was at the SD 6 yd line, 1 was at the Tenn 2 yd line, 1 was at the NE 1 yd line and 4 more were in the opponents end zone. So there is 7 legitimate TD misses right there and Vanderjagt had 6 fg atempts from 20 - 29 yds which means those were drives that stalled at the 11 yd line or better. So it wouldn't be hard to find 17 additional missed TD's to add to Mannings 49 that he actually did convert.

829579[/snapback]

Having done some evaluating of film, I'd say it's probably a bit of both. To call a missed opportunity a "legitimate miss", as I have come to understand it, is simply to say that through proper execution and reads a TD should have been scored. The reason a miss is still significant even if the drive eventually ended in a score is because when evaluating film you are usually looking at execution on a play-by-play or read-by-read basis. The work ethic aspect is what is to be admired here, although most good football players/coaches should be doing it. They may not care that they eventually scored. The reason execution is vital on each play is that you may not always get that opportunity to score again. Also, turnovers, stalled drives and FGs are not necessarily an indication that a TD opportunity was missed on that particular play. Sometimes these things happen because the D simply made a play. In fact, there is a distinct possibility that on a play where he threw an INT, there was no realistic opportunity to make a play and he merely forced the ball. The truth probably lies in the fact that Manning is a technician and after the season is over he doesn't really care what happened prior to or after a certain play. He just wants every individual play to be executed flawlessly.