[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnny Morton cut

rajncajn

With Morton gone there are quite a few players who could make the move to replace him. Who is it that will step up & possibly be the WR KC has been desperately needing for some time now? Here's the list of possibles:

Chris Horn

Dante' Hall

Samie Parker

Marc Boerigter

Craphonso Thorpe

On a side note...who the hell names their kid Craphonso? :D

Samie Parker looks to be the No. 2. I did not think they were going to consider picking anyone else up, but here they are:

Ex-Eagle to try out for Chiefs

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

Around the same time the Chiefs said goodbye to Johnnie Morton on Thursday, another receiver made plans to visit Kansas City.

Freddie Mitchell, an outspoken former Eagle who nicknamed himself “FredEx,” will work out for the Chiefs next week. President and general manager Carl Peterson confirmed Mitchell's visit late Thursday and said the Chiefs will do some bargain hunting in the coming weeks, specifically at receiver, but would sign someone only if they could get him on the cheap.

Mitchell might be in that category: He has been looking for work for nearly a month after being cut by Philadelphia.

“I guess I'm interested in seeing him come in and work out to see why he failed,” Peterson said. “Because he hasn't been able to be as productive as Philadelphia wished that he was. There has been something missing there. Can you find that and ignite it? Possibly.”

Peterson said the Chiefs planned to bring in at least one other receiver.

He joked that Mitchell might have an edge because he had attended UCLA, Peterson's alma mater. Mitchell, a 26-year-old, was a first-round draft pick in 2001, but his numbers never matched his hype. Mitchell's best season came in 2003, when he caught 35 passes for 498 yards and two touchdowns.

In the NFC second-round playoffs against Green Bay that season, Mitchell made a game-saving catch on fourth and 26 with 1:26 to play and moved Philadelphia into the conference championship. But 2004 wasn't as productive. Dissatisfied with his role as the slot receiver, Mitchell lashed out at quarterback Donovan McNabb. He was told to stay away from the Eagles' offseason workouts last month.

Morton was told the same thing but for different reasons. The Chiefs wanted the veteran to take a pay cut, which he was unwilling to do for the second straight season. This time, Peterson cut Morton, 33, who was scheduled to earn $3 million in 2005.

Peterson said coach Dick Vermeil had had “a nice conversation” with Morton after he was cut Thursday.

“He said he understood,” Peterson said. “My assumption, my experience, is that they'll want to go out and look around and see if anybody wants to stand up to his current contract or above.

“I'm not in any way diminishing Johnnie's skills, but he's 33 years old. … There's a wide receiver who signed for the minimum with Denver (Jerry Rice) who's going to be 43 years old, which is astonishing. But every player is different. I wish Johnnie the best.”

With Morton gone, the Chiefs turn their attention to a young group of receivers led by Samie Parker, a 5-foot-11, 190-pounder. Parker is the apparent starter after playing sparingly as rookie until the final month of 2004, when he had nine catches and a touchdown.

Marc Boerigter, Darrell Hill, Chris Horn and rookie Craphonso Thorpe are also competing for jobs. Boerigter and Horn are recovering from knee injuries.

“I'm confident in Samie Parker after what I saw last year when he got to play at the end of the season,” Peterson said. “He's got great speed and outstanding hands. It's his second year. He's got to step up and play. It's almost impossible … well it is impossible … to have high-priced, veteran players at every starting position. It just doesn't work.”

So by late Thursday, the Chiefs were monitoring the waiver wires. Peterson noticed that Seattle had cut receiver Koren Robinson.

He said the team would discuss whether to bring Robinson in. But the Chiefs will also discuss cornerbacks — you can't have enough good cornerbacks, he said — and any other surprise bargains.

“It's the nature of the National Football League,” Peterson said. “No one plays forever. Free-agency has a real impact in our game, and at some point you've got to look at the younger receivers and get them involved. That's why we drafted Samie Parker; that's why we signed Boerigter three years ago and why we drafted Craphonso.

“I'm hopeful, and we're planning that one or two of those guys are going to step up. Now are we still going to continue to look? Sure. Without any question. I have that obligation to the organization.”

Morton hates Carl Peterson (is this news?) ... and will probably leave football if KC is his only option.

I hear he wants to get into acting and modelling (seriously).

Morton hates Carl Peterson (is this news?) ... and will probably leave football if KC is his only option.

I hear he wants to get into acting and modelling (seriously).

830617[/snapback]

Sounds like the end for Morton then. I'm sure a few teams would like to have him around...actually I could see a lot of teams wanting him if he doesn't ask for too much money, but if his heart's not in it anymore then he may be gone anyway. It's too bad if he ends his career in KC given that he played so well with Detroit. It would have been nice to see if he could be better playing for a different team.

I think just about any one of those guys mentioned could step up and produce similar #s to Morton, but they still do not have a true #1 talent WR on their roster.

Edit to add: here's one spekamalation....

Chiefs | Parker may Take Over - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:31:56 -0700

The Capital Journal reports Kansas City Chiefs WR Samie Parker has been working with the first team offense in practice. He is expected to take over for WR Johnnie Morton as the team's No. 2 wide receiver

Edited by Hitman

Filling the void left by Johnnie Morton....

....that's a pickle.

830727[/snapback]

Not really concerned with the 'void' left by Morton, but it's certainly something worth watching. If you can get one of those guys late in a dynasty draft before/if they break out it could be a huge steal. Like I said, The Chefs have been needing a #1 WR for a long time now. If one of those guys could break out they could put up some big numbers in that offense ala Holt & Bruce in St Louis.