[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Porter v. Burleson

Clubfoothead

91 members have voted

1. 1. Porter v. Burleson

• Porter
    • Burleson

Which one would you rather have? I'm not sure I can seem Moss leaving helping Burleson but I can also see his arrival helping Porter.

Burleson 04 - 68 catches, 1006 yards, 9 TDs, 9 huddle ppg

Porter 04 - 64 catches, 998 yards, 9 TDs, 9 huddle ppg

:D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I view the WRs as fairly comperable. However, I went Porter for the following reasons:

- OAK's passing schedule is easier this year, compared to last;

- MIN's passing schedule is tougher this year, compared to last;

- OAK's passing schedule is much easier compared to MIN's this year, especially during the fantasy playoffs.

Porter..Moss will see double coverage and free up Porter . porter came on bigtime the end of last year..

Porter..Moss will see double coverage and free up Porter . porter came on bigtime the end of last year..

835009[/snapback]

Well, part of that was Ron Curry busting up his leg, which put more responsibility on Porter's shoulders. But I agree that Porter stepped up like a man, he and Collins found a groove, and OAK *finally* uncorked the potential in Porter.

I don't see them as that far apart but I prefer Burleson. I'm not saying Porter isn't good but it seems his rep is based almost entirely on his "hugh potential" label from the last couple years.

Well, part of that was Ron Curry busting up his leg, which put more responsibility on Porter's shoulders.  But I agree that Porter stepped up like a man, he and Collins found a groove, and OAK *finally* uncorked the potential in Porter.

835018[/snapback]

Don't I know it....geeze...Curry was on fire before he got hurt. :D

That being said.....and I like Porter.....but I think Porter may be a better "#2"..than a #1.....ie Peerless.

I view the WRs as fairly comperable.  However, I went Porter for the following reasons:

- OAK's passing schedule is much easier compared to MIN's this year, especially during the fantasy playoffs.

835008[/snapback]

this is why i would take porter over burly if i had a choice

Porter is a proven #2 and Burleson is NOT a proven #1...

Heck, there is a chance that EITHER MRob, TTaylor or TWilliamson will end up being the #1 WR instead of Burleson once its all said and done in MIN...

I've gotta give my vote to Porter too. An easier schedule and opposing defenses focusing on Moss gives Porter the edge.

I've gotta give my vote to Porter too. An easier schedule and opposing defenses focusing on Moss gives Porter the edge.

835202[/snapback]

Ditto. :D

I don't even think this one's close.

Porter getting the #2 CB every week and the mandated vertical passing game in OAK? Heck, that #2 assigned to Porter will be keeping one eye on the guy across the field. Things look golden for Joey.

Burleson will be seeing more top CBs and drop in production.

I don't even think this one's close. 

Porter getting the #2 CB every week and the mandated vertical passing game in OAK?  Heck, that #2 assigned to Porter will be keeping one eye on the guy across the field.  Things look golden for Joey.

Burleson will be seeing more top CBs and drop in production.

836735[/snapback]

Burleson and I wouldn't think twice about it.

:D    Hmmm, We shall see, master.    :D

836792[/snapback]

Take the number of touchdowns that Culpepper is likely to throw. Divide those out to who will be catching them. I have a serious problem considering that Kerry Collins will throw for more yards and scores than Culpepper will. That a #2 WR for OAK with Kerry Collins will out perform the best WR in MIN is hard for me to understand.

Let's look at 2004 in MIN for WR

PLAYER	PLAYS	TAR	CAT	Yds	TDNate Burleson	108	102	68	1006	9Marcus Robinson	81	81	47	657	8Kelly Campbell	35	32	19	364	1Keenan Howry	1	1	1	3	0   	Randy Moss	92	92	49	767	13

Unless you assume that Marcus Robinson was merely underused last year, Burleson already takes the #1 spot as he clearly did when Moss was out of the lineup last year. When Moss was out last year, what were the totals for the only two WR of note for those 5 games?

Burleson - 42 Targets, 29 catches, 297 yardsn 4 TD

Robinson - 28 targets, 13 catches, 193 yards, 1 TD

Robinson actually did worse when Moss was out than he did as a #3 WR when Moss was there. Burleson already acted as the #1 receiver - and proved it - last year when Moss was out.

For Porter...

If, as someone suggested, that Porter had nine touchdowns, then how many does Moss have? Add those together and then tell me how many TDs Kerry Collins will throw, assuming that he throws scores to more than just two players. In 11 years in the NFL, Collins has never thrown more than 22 TDs. Last year he threw like a madman because OAK had no rushing game. They have one, assumedly, now with Jordan. Randy Moss has historically always been good for around 10 to 13 TDs in an average year. If that was just because of Culpepper, that strengthens the case for Burleson. If it was because he is so good (and he is), then it means that Collins will focus heavily on his "uncoverable" #1.

Porter has value to be sure and he is talented. But the situations and conditions to me do not spell that a #2 WR under Collins after Moss' share is done will out perform the #1 in MIN with Culpepper.

"Z" snap

DMD, I think your logic makes sense, but we are talking about guesses here. So what if Collins has never thrown for more than 22 TD's. Has he ever had this good of receiving core. Clearly not. Also, I'm not sure you can comfortably assume that CPep will throw for the same # of TD's this year. It could drop significantly.

I guess the thing about this is that the Raiders O has huge potential written all over it. If it pans out at all, Collins could throw 30+ TD's. I know if sounds crazy, but what the hell. I think that's what people are thinking when they consider the two receivers.

Collins sucks when pressured, he's one of the worst decision makers on the field. That being said, Randy Moss will improve Collins numbers significantly. That also being said, I'd take Burleson in a heartbeat. Burleson was very succesful when Moss went down last year, and I see him maturing into a very solid #1 WR.

Take the number of touchdowns that Culpepper is likely to throw. Divide those out to who will be catching them. I have a serious problem considering that Kerry Collins will throw for more yards and scores than Culpepper will. That a #2 WR for OAK with Kerry Collins will out perform the best WR in MIN is hard for me to understand.

Let's look at 2004 in MIN for WR

PLAYER	PLAYS	TAR	CAT	Yds	TDNate Burleson	108	102	68	1006	9Marcus Robinson	81	81	47	657	8Kelly Campbell	35	32	19	364	1Keenan Howry	1	1	1	3	0   	Randy Moss	92	92	49	767	13

Unless you assume that Marcus Robinson was merely underused last year, Burleson already takes the #1 spot as he clearly did when Moss was out of the lineup last year. When Moss was out last year, what were the totals for the only two WR of note for those 5 games?

Burleson - 42 Targets, 29 catches, 297 yardsn 4 TD

Robinson - 28 targets, 13 catches, 193 yards, 1 TD

Robinson actually did worse when Moss was out than he did as a #3 WR when Moss was there. Burleson already acted as the #1 receiver - and proved it - last year when Moss was out.

For Porter...

If, as someone suggested, that Porter had nine touchdowns, then how many does Moss have? Add those together and then tell me how many TDs Kerry Collins will throw, assuming that he throws scores to more than just two players. In 11 years in the NFL, Collins has never thrown more than 22 TDs. Last year he threw like a madman because OAK had no rushing game. They have one, assumedly, now with Jordan. Randy Moss has historically always been good for around 10 to 13 TDs in an average year. If that was just because of Culpepper, that strengthens the case for Burleson. If it was because he is so good (and he is), then it means that Collins will focus heavily on his "uncoverable" #1.

Porter has value to be sure and he is talented. But the situations and conditions to me do not spell that a #2 WR under Collins after Moss' share is done will out perform the #1 in MIN with Culpepper.

"Z" snap

836887[/snapback]

I understand your logic, just disagree.

I'm not so sure Minnesota will roll along. I think Moss was a safety blanket for C-Pep and the other WRs. Yeah, They had a few good games when Moss sat. Let's see 'em do it all year.

You're right about Collins too. But - consider the offenses he was in. I don't think he was ever encouaged to light it up. If OAK can establish a 1/2 respectable ground game and the O-Line can protect Collins fairly well I believe Collins will have a career year.

Team environments aside, I think Porter is a better WR. He's bigger (20 lbs. and 2"), more physical and will be lining up against lesser men than will Burleson.

I also think SSs will play up a little more without Moss running free. This will put more pressure on C-Pep and what will probably be a lesser running game now that O. Smith is gone. Yeah, their rookie might step in, but Bennett is bound to get hurt and Williams is another year older.

Speculation...... ain't it fun!

Collins sucks when pressured, he's one of the worst decision makers on the field. That being said, Randy Moss will improve Collins numbers significantly. That also being said, I'd take Burleson in a heartbeat. Burleson was very succesful when Moss went down last year, and I see him maturing into a very solid #1 WR.

837161[/snapback]

Gotta agree, Collins has a consistency problem, you just don't know who is gonna show up for the game...the Collins that can throw for 400yds and 4tds or the Collins that can throw for 100yds and 4ints and 4 fumbles. Its a crap shoot and maybe Moss will help him out but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I side with DMD;

Plus the "Chavez Rule O'Thumb" when it comes to fantasy WRs - #1 trumps #2 30 times out of 32; maybe Porter is one of those 2 of 32, but I'd rather take my lumps with Burleson.

Did any you guys see that Burleson has one of the best verticals in combine workouts? I've had to rely on Porter for one of my fantasy teams before and that won't ever happen again.

This is from a Viking fan that isn't head over heals for Burleson like I've seen some are. But I swing for the fences and take Burleson before getting burned by Porter again.