[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HEAP!

Big Red

A top 3 TE locked up for 7 years (this year and the six extension). Sweet.

From http://www.baltimoresun.com

Heap, Ravens agree on 6-year extension

Terms of deal with two-time Pro Bowl tight end not disclosed

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published June 14, 2005, 11:32 AM EDT

Todd Heap has agreed to a six-year extension with the Ravens, a team spokesman announced today.

The two-time Pro Bowl tight end led the Ravens in receiving in 2002 and 2003. An ankle injury limited him to six games last season.

Heap, 25, was in the final year of his contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"Todd creates real match-up problems for defenses," general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a team statement. "With his size, he can overwhelm defensive backs and many linebackers. With his speed, he can run by the fastest players on the back end.

"This is another example of the commitment we have to signing our best players before they can become free agents."

Heap, who is not practicing at the team's minicamp, is still recovering from offseason shoulder and ankle surgeries. He is expected to be ready by the start of the regular season.

Guest Sores
great. so he'll probably be on the field about as much as Winslow

841108[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking....why worry about "locking up" a guy who can't stay on the field?

Exactly what I was thinking....why worry about "locking up" a guy who can't stay on the field?

841145[/snapback]

Uh, he's had ONE injury in his career, and that was his ankle last year. He is ready to go for camp.

I'm sure the Ravens would not have signed him for 6 years if he where not fit. They did just cut Peter Boulware because of that same concern. Signed Boulware to a new deal about two years ago, and Boulware missed all of last year. They cut him before June 1 to get all of his cap charge done now to avoid it hitting them later. They'd do the same with Heap if they had a concern.

I'm sure the Ravens would not have signed him for 6 years if he where not fit.  They did just cut Peter Boulware because of that same concern.  Signed Boulware to a new deal about two years ago, and Boulware missed all of last year.  They cut him before June 1 to get all of his cap charge done now to avoid it hitting them later.  They'd do the same with Heap if they had a concern.

841223[/snapback]

Exactly. I believe actions speak louder than words (Martz).

Cutting Boulware and re-signing Heap tells me about all I need to know about the ankle. :D

Sometime you have to remember the coaches have more to lose than fantasy folks. It is why for at least one more year, I'm not worried about Curtis Martin. If he didn't have at least one more year left, Edwards would have found a way to keep Jordan.

Sorry, but top 3?

Uh... Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Crumpler.

OK, top 5 - IF he rebounds from the injury.

841370[/snapback]

IF he rebounds from injury....

...OR Gates, Witten Crumpler aren't one year wonders.

IF he rebounds from injury....

...OR Gates, Witten Crumpler aren't one year wonders.

841394[/snapback]

VERY unlikely. OK, so maybe Heap leaps over Crumpler since Vick can't throw the pigskin... but give me a choice of Gates, Gonzo, Witten or Heap, and I'm taking the first 3 any day of the week. Consider the situations in SD, KC, Dallas and Baltimore:

SD: Gates, McCardell, ???

KC: Gonzo, Hakim?, Kennison, assorted garbage

Dallas: Witten, Meshawn, Bryant, assorted garbage

Baltimore: Mason, Clayton, Heap, Hymes, etc.

Gates, Gonzo & Witten are clearly the #1 passing targets in their respective situations, while Heap is clearly not. Perhaps Heap is a better target (especially in red zone) than Clayton... for now.

In fact, the "one year wonder" thing got me thinking... what are some good examples of PURE "one year wonders"? Has anyone ever had such a monster season like Gates' last year and then just totally crapped the bed? I can't think of any off-hand.

For Dynasty and keeper leagues, I have Heap ranked 3rd behind Gates and Witten. I don't know how much Gonzo has left, and he has had some injury problems the last few years. Crumpler's numbers fell off last year after everyone realized Vick can't throw to a reciever. I only see the addition of Mason and Clayton as a benifit to Heap, as now the safteys will have to help cover the WR's leaving a backer covering Heap.

great news. the fact that they brought no one else in to compete for the job was also a good sign he was going to fully recover. i'm optimistic he can find the top 3. i think kris wilson will cut into gonzo's numbers starting this yr and his numbers start reducing. witten looks great and gates was a monster. will they be able to post similar numbers this yr? i think so, due to the wr's they have. would 60-70 recepts with 7-8 t.d.s be too optimistic for heap??

I just think that Boller has more valid options this year with D. Mason there and also M Clayton ... now if he can just get he ball to them. I don't see Heap tearing it up since they have aquired WR's who can actually do something if they have their hands on the ball.

Sorry, but top 3?

Uh... Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Crumpler.

OK, top 5 - IF he rebounds from the injury.

841370[/snapback]

Big Cowboy fan, but I'd take a healthy Heap this year instead of Whitten, I also gambled on Gates late in the draft last year (and enjoyed every minute of it) but again, I'd take a healthy Heap.

The other two are a bit of a gamble until they prove they aren't one year wonders. I still remember Shockey, he was good that first year, but.......

So Gonzo, Heap..... then maybe the other two. Now that's not saying that if the other two are gone I wouldn't jump at the chance......

Holy crap, they made him the highest paid TE in the league!!!!!

6 year extension, $30 million with $11 million up front. :D

From http://www.baltimoresun.com

Benchmark extension keeps Heap flying high

Six-year extension makes Raven best-paid tight end

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published June 15, 2005

As if he were going up for another acrobatic catch, Todd Heap leapt over the competition again yesterday.

The two-time Pro Bowl player agreed to a six-year contract extension with the Ravens that makes him the highest-paid tight end in NFL history.

advertisement

advertisement

This landmark deal - whose total worth of $30 million includes an $11 million signing bonus - keeps Heap, 25, from becoming a free agent at the end of the season and locks him up through the 2011 season.

"You put your money where your mouth is," coach Brian Billick said. "You can talk the rhetoric, but when it comes time for a player's situation to be addressed, you step up and make him the highest-paid tight end in the league. He's deserving of that."

Heap's extension will pay him $14.8 million over the first three years and places him in an elite group. Not only does the deal surpass that of the Cleveland Browns' Kellen Winslow for the richest deal for a tight end (six years, $29 million with a $10.8 bonus) but it also ranks among the top 15 receiver contracts of all time.

"I was surprised that it got done as quickly as it did," Heap said in a conference call from Arizona, where he is continuing to rehabilitate his surgically repaired ankle and shoulder.

With the emergence of Heap, the Kansas City Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez and New York Giants' Jeremy Shockey, the value of tight ends has escalated rapidly.

Gonzalez set the standard with his extension in 2002, getting $31 million over seven years with a $10 million signing bonus. The previous high for an NFL tight end signing bonus had been $4.6 million to the Indianapolis Colts' Marcus Pollard in 2001.

Heap has become the prototype for this new generation of tight ends who are their teams' primary targets. He is too big (6 feet 5, 252 pounds) for a cornerback to stop and too fast for a linebacker to cover.

Ravens officials used this agreement to point out how they routinely reward their top-performing players who have a year left on their contracts.

It is believed running back Jamal Lewis is next to receive an extension, with defensive end Tony Weaver to follow. Safety Ed Reed, the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year, likely will have to wait because he has two years remaining on his deal.

"This team is committed to spend every penny of the cap that we can," Billick said. "[but] there's pacing to it, and there's no avoiding it. They will get theirs in the same time sequence that Todd got his."

Heap, who fell to the Ravens with the 31st pick of the 2001 draft, clearly had outplayed his contract. He was the Ravens' leading receiver in 2002 and 2003, earning Pro Bowl trips both times.

His production dropped last season, when he missed 10 games with a severe ankle injury. Still, Heap ranked fourth on the team in catches (27) and second in touchdown receptions (three).

"He is one of the elite playmakers in this league," quarterback Kyle Boller said. "He not only makes me better but our entire offense that much better."

Heap's current focus is getting his ankle and shoulder better. The Ravens still expect him to be ready by the regular season, but he could be held out of training camp and half of the preseason.

"I'm putting the hours and effort in to be ready as soon as possible," Heap said.

This agreement proved the Ravens weren't scared off by Heap's health, but that doesn't mean they aren't concerned that his body could break down from all those leaping catches.

Billick said he has advised Heap not to put himself at risk when catching the ball, telling him: "One, it doesn't work. Two, it looks really, really bad and you get hurt. So don't do it anymore."

There was no such flash involved in Heap's celebration of his new deal. He took his wife and 2-year-old daughter to Peter Piper Pizza.

"To be able to stay here for nearly the rest of my career is exciting," Heap said.

NOTE: Nickel back Deion Sanders, who missed the first day of minicamp, returned.

VERY unlikely.  OK, so maybe Heap leaps over Crumpler since Vick can't throw the pigskin... but give me a choice of Gates, Gonzo, Witten or Heap, and I'm taking the first 3 any day of the week.  Consider the situations in SD, KC, Dallas and Baltimore: 

SD:  Gates, McCardell, ???

KC:  Gonzo, Hakim?, Kennison, assorted garbage

Dallas:  Witten, Meshawn, Bryant, assorted garbage

Baltimore:  Mason, Clayton, Heap, Hymes, etc.

Gates, Gonzo & Witten are clearly the #1 passing targets in their respective situations, while Heap is clearly not.  Perhaps Heap is a better target (especially in red zone) than Clayton... for now.

In fact, the "one year wonder" thing got me thinking... what are some good examples of PURE "one year wonders"?  Has anyone ever had such a monster season like Gates' last year and then just totally crapped the bed?  I can't think of any off-hand.

841415[/snapback]

Heap may be a TE, but until Boller gets comfortable with Mason and Clayton, Heap is the #1 option, no worse than #2. Clayton is a rookie. Great tallent, but a rookie.

I can't wait to see how things go this year. Suddenly so many options on O.

Clayton is a rookie.  Great tallent, but a rookie.

842050[/snapback]

Yeah, it was a real bummer for those that had Michael Clayton last year and Roy Williams too (at least when he was healthy). Being a rookie won't hurt Mark C ... it will be having Boller attempt to throw the ball his way.

Yeah, it was a real bummer for those that had Michael Clayton last year and Roy Williams too (at least when he was healthy).  Being a rookie won't hurt Mark C ... it will be having Boller attempt to throw the ball his way.

842249[/snapback]

Momo boy, how many WR rookies where there last year? How many had good years?

Go ahead, take Ashlie Lelie, Travis Taylor or Peter Warrick his first year and expect production right away.

Fracktard.

Momo boy, how many WR rookies where there last year?  How many had good years?

Go ahead, take Ashlie Lelie, Travis Taylor or Peter Warrick his first year and expect production right away.

Fracktard.

842267[/snapback]

Hey .. it's not my fault you drafted those guys ... :D

Hey .. it's not my fault you drafted those guys ...  :D

842589[/snapback]

I'm not sure how to respond to that ... but here it goes

He started it. :D

Come on ... grow up

843477[/snapback]

Uh, okay. :D

Hey .. it's not my fault you drafted those guys ... rolleyes.gif

:D Next time respond to my post instead of just a crappy middle school attempt at 'ha ha, you suck'.

Next time respond to my post instead of just a crappy middle school attempt at 'ha ha, you suck'.

843498[/snapback]

Ok ... here you go ...

I will give you the fact that many rookie WR's don't put up huge numbers in their first year. However, the opposite is true as well ... it just takes a little more work in trying to predict them. For instance, take last years NFL Drafted WR's in the first round...

1.3 - Larry Fitzgerald (ARI) - A lot of people thought he was going to make at least some what of an impact ... maybe it wasn't as big because Boldin went down but still he did not have the best QB throwing the ball to him so he was a valid FF pick last year but probably not the strongest ... especially in preseason when Boldin and Shipp went down and then Fitz and Emmitt were pretty much the main options.

1.7 - Roy Williams (DET) - Went to a young team ... was already known to have had great hands and so such in games. They also got a top RB pick in the draft. Had Rogers to help keep defenders off. Not the worst of QB's but definitely not the best. We all know Rogers couldn't stay healthy though and Roy was the WR option (except for a few weeks). Many people saw Roy as a valid FF option ... not a #1 but certainly a low #2 or #3 ... which is unusual for a rookie.

1.9 - Reggie Williams (JAX) - Did not hear a whole lot about him during the preseason although some were pretty high on him. Not in a high power offense and still a learning but decent QB. Not one of the strongest FF picks for rookies WR's last year.

1.13 - Lee Evans (BUF) - Quite a few people were high on him, but some new surroundings in BUF. Certainly was a valid FF pick last year but with the new system and mediocre (for NFL) QB was certainly not the strongest.

1.15 - Michael Clayton (TB) - Between Williams and himself Clayton was sure more of the surprise of the two. People knew Clayton was a good receiver and many were high on him going into the season but it seemed like TB was deteriorating and made the pick a little bit of a reach if you were going for a #2. However, as it became more and more clear McCardell was going to continue holding out he became a more viable option.

1.29 - Michael Jenkins (ATL) - a low round pick in a draft ... flyer .. whatever you want to call him ... i am sure in many drafts he may not have even made it on the board

1.31 - Rashaun Woods (SF) - a real stretch given the SF situation ... people knew they were not going to be good last year, it was just a matter of how bad they would be

Of the seven WR's drafted last year, Williams and Clayton should have been within the top three going off of FF draft boards and rightfully so.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take Clayton if he's there in the 8th or 9th and I have the need. Usually, someone takes the 'big name' rookie WR while there are still #1 WRs or #2 WRs on high passing teams.

I remember Peerless Price's last year in Buffalo. I got him in like the 7th or 8th in every league while 4 or 5 rookie WRs where taken. Price was a HUGE bargain that year, and that's what drafting is about.

Take three or four non-rookie WRs and you'll find more gold than 3 or 4 rookies.

Clarence Moore was the 2nd WR the Ravens took in last years draft (6th round, 199th pick). Devard Darling was taken in round 3 with the 82nd pick. Got hurt in camp, never caught on and is now just trying to not get cut.