[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pennington Update

Rovers

According to GM Bradway, Pennington is ahead of schedule in his recovery from shoulder surgery. In the last of the OTA's, he only handed the ball off, but has been throwing 80 times every other day after the end of the OTA's, and beyond. He hasn't been throwing the ball long however, but is expected to be able to by the start of the preseason camp.

There is a bit of a media ruckus in NY at the moment. In particular, it involves the NY Daily News Jets beat reporter, Rich Cimini, who, by Jet's fans standards, is very negative in his coverage. You could also include the Jets' players, coaching staff and front office as others who share this opinion of Mr Whinimi. Case in point, Kevin Mawae...... from his journal....

May

05/26/05

Now that May is nearly complete, this is what's been happening...We are in the middle of OTAs (Organized Team Activities). These are condensed versions of a regular season practice, with no pads, and guys flying around at 100 mph. Another way for coaches to get more practice time out of players 3 months before the season even starts. The NFLPA is trying to modify these or get rid of them as they have gotten out of control as far as tempo and the speed of the drills...somewhere along the line, "teaching tempo" and "Game speed" have become synonomous. Anyways, enough about the gripe....The Jets hosted the Taste of NY, an awesome event with great food and a lot of money to charity. I finished my spring semester in school...I am currently working on my Masters in Sports Management..I got a 4.0, and just started the first summer session. Myself and a couple other teammates just returned from an upstate hunting trip....I got blanked while James Dearth and Dave Szott had successful hunts. Between the 2 of them, 3 turkeys, one boar, and a few fish were slain. Doug Marrone, our oline coach, managed to wound a couple of pigs, but his shot will get more deadly with future hunting excursions. We also fished in a tournament which helped raise money for Syracuse's new Children's Hospital...overall it was an awesome weekend! My nephew celebrates his first birthday this weekend, so I'll be heading home, it's been a while since I've been to my hometown of Leesville Louisiana so I'm looking forward to it....Nothing new on team, though we did sign Ethan Brooks, a good player who will offer us some depth and experience on the offensive line...stay tuned, maybe something more interesting will happen in June.

Reporters

05/27/05

Leave it up to one of our sleuth reporters who was given a 'tip' on a players perspective on OTA'S to turn it into something negative. Though it isn't out yet, there may be an article in the paper this weekend 'quoting' my journal about our abbreviated practices. In this reporters usual ways, he has attempted to take something that is intended to be fun and informative to the fans and turn it into a negative story to create a story to sell papers. What a shame!

Rich Cimini

05/29/05

The reporter from one of NY's "tabloid" papers did what I said he would, and wrote a blip in his column today...how about this guy? His paper should be paying me instead of him, seeing as how his story came from my website...unbelievable! I have a great deal of respect for most of the writers in the New York media, but this guy? Please. To all the Jets fans who happen to read his stuff, take it with a little grain of salt. For the record, Herm has never broken any off season workout rules, and never has their been a complaint filed with the union about his workouts...this comes from an NFLPA "big shot", as Cimini has called me....best wishes to all the fans, hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. God Bless.

Now, the Jets kept telling Cimini that Chad wasn't throwing in OTA's. He wasn't. He was throwing after the OTA's. Then, Edwards and Bradway both went on ESPN to say that Pennigton was on this 80 throws every other day workout. Now, there were some other, more astute local writers who had this, but Cimini didn't.

Mr Whinini's response?

Jets come clean:

Chad is throwing

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Chad Pennington

One week after indicating that Chad Pennington didn't do any throwing in the recently completed offseason program, the Jets issued an update yesterday on the quarterback's recovery from shoulder surgery, admitting that he did, in fact, start a throwing regimen more than a week ago.

"While he did not throw during on-field practices, Chad was given clearance and a schedule to throw the football," coach Herm Edwards said in a statement.

The Jets' motivation for withholding the information wasn't immediately clear. They concluded three weeks of practices June 8 - the sessions were closed to the media - and details of Pennington's clandestine throwing sessions started to leak out the last few days.

Cimini actually outright LIES in this report, saying the Jets specifically said

"Chad Pennington didn't do any throwing in the recently completed offseason program".

Not true. They said he didn't throw in OTA's. Jet fans hate this guy, and so does the entire organization. At Jet fan forum sites, bannings are now common place as people bash this reporter, who has actually posted in one forum, attempting to defend himself. It's pretty funny stuff. Just thought some might get a chuckle out of a small war that is brewing in NY! :D