[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Official 2005 Runningback Mess

DeezNuts

This year in our 14-team league we decided to mix things up a bit, we are drawing not for draft spots but spots to decide where you want to pick to draft... For instance I pulled a number 7 that means I can move down in the draft to 9 or 10 if they're still avaiable or move up if there's anything left above me, makes things tricky because where you usually start the season coming up with a strategy once you know where you are picking, this year your strategy has to start before you know where you are picking.

Over the last week I've been looking at the field of runningbacks and I've come to one conclusion... Other than LT2 who is is his own tier, there is a questionable aspect to every single back in the draft... I tried to put these guys in tiers myself and I got so frusterated I said f*ck it and went and had a beer, I've looked at mock drafts and have seen Julius Jones go above Ahman Green... JJ Arington go above a healthy DeShaun Foster... Sure I'm jumping the gun a bit, things always seem to come to gether over the next 2 months but I was just wondering if everyone was as overwelmed by all of this uncertainty as I am, what a mess.

:D

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Deuce McAllister

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Clinton Portis

Corey Dillon

Domanick Davis

Julius Jones

Ahman Green

Tiki Barber

Kevin Jones

Rudi Johnson

Curtis Martin

Steven Jackson

Brian Westbrook

Tatum Bell

LaMont Jordan

Ronnie Brown

Fred Taylor

Chris Brown

Carnell Williams

Cedric Benson

Duce Staley

Michael Bennett

J.J. Arrington

DeShaun Foster

Warrick Dunn

Lee Suggs

Kevan Barlow

A "healthy" Deshawn Foster? :D That's like saying it will never rain because it isn't raining right now! If you draft Foster, you better get Davis and Shelton too!

LT, SA, Edge, McAllister and Portis are my top five. Priest should be there, but the injury risk concerns me, especially since he has a very solid backup. I like the last two i listed for rebound years.

Guest THEbigred

I tried to put these guys in tiers myself and I got so frusterated I said f*ck it and went and had a beer,
You just described 95% of all my pre-draft prep ever.

I have the second pick this year in a performance scoring league. I first thought "oh boy" the worst spot (normally) in my mind but this year maybe not so bad. i figure I will end up with Shaun Alexander or Edge. I would hate to have the 7th or 8th pick this year..just frigging nasty. :D

Lewis could also easilly be in my top five. With a projected improvement in the passing game, he should get fewer carries, but rarely face 8 in the box. Great upside.

847066[/snapback]

and the great thing about lewis is, most people (that i know of) arent taking him in the top five. so you can get lewis with your 8th pick or something like that

I would absolutely love the 7 or 8 pick!!  You have a very good chance to get 2 very good RBs, or you can pick a RB and have a choice of one of the top WRs or QBs.

847115[/snapback]

Sure but which 2....I agree with the thread that it's really going to be difficult but It will work out in camp. It just seems more up,in the air this season at the rb position. I also think J. lewis is a little under value right now.

Where is the question mark with Willis?? 1300 yards and 11 td's in like 10 games last season?? Plus the Bills will have Losman in his first year starting this year, do you think they are going to go with an all out passing offense? McGahee should get even more carries this year, and in my mind is the number 1 running back in fantasy this year..

Sure but which 2....I agree with the thread that it's really going to be difficult but It will work out in camp. It just seems more up,in the air this season at the rb position. I also think J. lewis is a little under value right now.

847153[/snapback]

The second RB is a problem but Lewis is so undervalued that you can come out of 3 rounds with Lewis, Harrison and probably a choice of Martin, Jordan, Barlow, etc.

The 4th, 5th and 6th tiers are very jumbled right now, but usually are this time of year but even after camp shakes out I expect those tiers to be larger than mine have been in the past. Mine will shake out more before any real draft but here is how they look right now:

LT

Lewis

Alexander

Portis

Holmes

Edge

McAllister

Green

McGahee

K Jones

J Jones

Barber

Dillon

R. Johnson

D. Davis

Martin

Jordan

C. Brown

M. Bennett

Westbrook

Dunn

S. Jackson

Staley

Suggs

Barlow

D. Foster

T. Henry

Rookies I've been putting on seperate lists and rank them as follows assuming a re-draft/3 keeper not a dynasty:

Brown

Arrington

Williams

Benson

I reserve the right to completely change this $hit as the preseason evolves.

Where is the question mark with Willis?? 1300 yards and 11 td's in like 10 games last season?? Plus the Bills will have Losman in his first year starting this year, do you think they are going to go with an all out passing offense? McGahee should get even more carries this year, and in my mind is the number 1 running back in fantasy this year..

847472[/snapback]

:D

847472[/snapback]

Until Losman proves he can throw an accurate pass, Willie boy will be facing 8 man fronts 30 minutes of each game...

Until Losman proves he can throw an accurate pass, Willie boy will be facing 8 man fronts 30 minutes of each game...

847546[/snapback]

Agreed. Willis could be the #1 back in FFL or the #1 bust. I actually hope I'm not picking 3-5 so I won't have to worry about drafting him. I'm hoping for the 6-8 spot.

Here's a good one... if these guys go 1-8 as most of you are suggesting;

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Deuce McAllister

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Clinton Portis

... what do you if you're at #9? Do you go with the next tier of backs including A.Green, DomDavis, & Dillon (if they're in the next tier) or do you take the top QB in Manning (keep in mind passing TD's are only 4pts. as opposed to 6 for rush/receiving)? Keep in mind this is a 14 teamer. Trying to get a feel for what may happen based on popular opinion. Nine may be the hardest spot in the draft this year.

Edited by DeezNuts

im in a 12 team nonkeeper league..we start a flex and te, 2 rbs,2wrs,1qb....6pts for all tds including passing..

i got the 3rd pick in the draft...im fairly confident that LT and alexander will be gone..

which leaves me with james or holmes or manning..

i am completely against taking a qb in the first but im uncomfratble with manning, i had james last yr and he as soo bland and holmes scares me....to me the 3rd pick is tough!

At 1 -8 you would be a fool to take anything other than a RB UNLESS passing TD's were equal to rush/rec... with that said at #3 your decision is between RB's which does seem a little easier than choosing between a RB, QB, or WR...

Heres a look at my top 20.

LaDainian Tomlinson

Priest Holmes

Shaun Alexander

Kevin Jones

Willis McGahee

Edgerrin James

Rudi Johnson

Ahman Green

Domanick Davis

Jamal Lewis

Deuce McAllister

Clinton Portis

Corey Dillon

Julius Jones

Lamont Jordan

Tiki Barber

Brian Westbrook

Curtis Martin

Tatum Bell

Stephen Jackson

I cannot get over how many people have Priest Holmes rated so high.  No thanks.  I'll pass.

848200[/snapback]

Well, you sort of have to rank him highly. You just do not have to draft him when the time comes.