[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Official 2005 Runningback Mess

DeezNuts

Am I crazy for thinking about J. Lewis at #2? :D I do not know why but I feel that he will have a great year. I have thought about Alexander but for some reason I am shying away from him but I do not know why.

Am I crazy for thinking about J. Lewis at #2?  :D  I do not know why but I feel that he will have a great year.  I have thought about Alexander but for some reason I am shying away from him but I do not know why.

848219[/snapback]

He and the Ravens are getting the 14th-easiest schedule to run on, middle of the pack. The money playoff weeks come against the Texans, Packers, and Vikings, pretty good. He’s yet another guy you’ll be able to get late in the first round, maybe even in the second, who is capable of producing like a top-5 pick overall.

Go with your gut feeling.

Well, you sort of have to rank him highly.

848212[/snapback]

Even with Larry Johnson waiting in the wings? I see diminished carries even IF Priest can stay healthy all year.

Edited by CaptainHook

I cannot get over how many people have Priest Holmes rated so high.  No thanks.  I'll pass.

848200[/snapback]

He's a complete back, he’s not only the best goal-line back in the league, but he’s also an excellent receiver. And to top it all off, he’s probably the hardest working player in the league. You can grab Johnson as protection if you want 25+ TDs, and who doesn’t.

He's a complete back, he’s not only the best goal-line back in the league, but he’s also an excellent receiver. And to top it all off, he’s probably the hardest working player in the league. You can grab Johnson as protection if you want 25+ TDs, and who doesn’t.

848247[/snapback]

Even before he got hurt, he was well off his pace for receptions last year. In 8 games he only had 19 catches. Plus with his durability issues, and the fact there is a younger back chomping at the bit to take his job, I don't see Holmes as a slam dunk this year. You make it sound like you could scoop up Johnson in the fifteenth round. That's not gonna happen this year. In my opinion, you have to invest another early pick on Johnson if you are going to pick up Holmes. I just don't see rating him over Alexander, Edge, or even McGahee.

Even before he got hurt, he was well off his pace for receptions last year.  In 8 games he only had 19 catches.  Plus with his durability issues, and the fact there is a younger back chomping at the bit to take his job, I don't see Holmes as a slam dunk this year.  You make it sound like you could scoop up Johnson in the fifteenth round.  That's not gonna happen this year.  In my opinion, you have to invest another early pick on Johnson if you are going to pick up Holmes.  I just don't see rating him over Alexander, Edge, or even McGahee.

848294[/snapback]

He had 196 carries in eight games.The Chiefs worked him too much last year. He can still play at a very high level. They usually like to feature only one guy, so Holmes’ workload could be close to what it’s been in the past. The reward is still worth the risk. I think you could pick up Johnson in the 7th or 8th round.

Exactly. The Chiefs worked him too much last year. So what do you think they'll do this year with a proven young healthy back ready to go? I'm not predicting a 50/50 split on carries, but Johnson WILL play more than everyone is thinking right now.

Exactly.  The Chiefs worked him too much last year.  So what do you think they'll do this year with a proven young healthy back ready to go?  I'm not predicting a 50/50 split on carries, but Johnson WILL play more than everyone is thinking right now.

848313[/snapback]

I don't think it will be a 50/50 spilt either but there is no way Johnson gets the touchdowns. I think holmes will get his 25+. There is only 2 or 3 players capable of doing that. I wouldn’t argue with taking Holmes at number 2 overall over Alexander, but I would argue with anyone who let Holmes slip lower than number 3.

Would someone send Mr. Playsccr to the right frick'in forum? Better yet if it gets him out of here... Hey soccer boy, if you are getting 6pts. per passing TD then yes Manning goes much higher, top 10? Definately, Top 5? Probably, Top 3? Maybe... no one knows for sure, we can all throw out our opinion but you need to make the final decision now get on it.

As far as everyone else, this is the best RB conversation I've seen yet, lots of angles and stats... let me ask this; should any of these guys;

Corey Dillon

Domanick Davis

Julius Jones

Ahman Green

Tiki Barber

Kevin Jones

Go above any of these guys in a draft, regardless of scoring?

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Deuce McAllister

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Clinton Portis

Yes or No, if "Yes" who? Just curious to see results.

Definitely at least Dillon and Green over Portis. Probably Davis and Tiki too. I just don't like Washington fantasy-wise at all this year. Smallish receivers with inexperienced QB's makes me think teams will be playing the run. Portis might get squished this year. I want to see the Jones' in the pre-season again.

And like I said, I like several guys over Priest Holmes this year. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Would someone send Mr. Playsccr to the right frick'in forum? Better yet if it gets him out of here... Hey soccer boy, if you are getting 6pts. per passing TD then yes Manning goes much higher, top 10? Definately, Top 5? Probably, Top 3? Maybe... no one knows for sure, we can all throw out our opinion but you need to make the final decision now get on it.

As far as everyone else, this is the best RB conversation I've seen yet, lots of angles and stats... let me ask this; should any of these guys;

Corey Dillon

Domanick Davis

Julius Jones

Ahman Green

Tiki Barber

Kevin Jones

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Deuce McAllister

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Clinton Portis

848372[/snapback]

J.Jones over Portis: Skins far behind Dallas in team cohesion, better D better for RB and Jones youth (with sufficient experience) gives him the edge for me. I'm also waiting to see where he and McGahee land on my list at this point, so I would have to put a question mark next to McGahee today.

Also good question/topic Dez

I take Peyton or Moss if I feel there is a dropoff b/n the 8th and 9th back. Take the sure thing. I feel much better about gambling on a RB with my 3rd rounder than gambling on one with my 1st. Heck, I take Peyton in the top 3 anyhow so my opinion may not be incredibly relevant to some of you. I just love consistent players.

Corey Dillon

Domanick Davis

Julius Jones

Ahman Green

Tiki Barber

Kevin Jones

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Deuce McAllister

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Clinton Portis

848372[/snapback]

I think if you're getting points for rec. yes. If it's a keeper definitely. I like DD a lot. He showed he could play hurt last year and he's a monster in the passing game. I know they have some decent backs behind him and they drafted Morency but, he's a stud and will only get better. I like Davis before McAllister and Portis. If it's a keeper maybe before Holmes. Davis is involved in the whole game, when they're behind big he rarely comes out because he's so involved in the passing game.

Edited by jgcoach

I am just praying that Dillon falls to the second round this year. I know NE likes to throw in the red zone but Dillon was a rock for my team all year last year. Always good for 120/1-2 and I bet they rely on him even more heavily this year. :D

Do some of you guys feel that Willis is going to be this years Barlow?

848115[/snapback]

Yes. So far, out of all the RBs who had great partial seasons last year (e.g. KJones, JJones) I think Willis wins the 2005 A-Train/Willie Green/Barlow "overvalued draft day RB" award. Losman scares me.

I'm still not completely sold on Lewis. He seemed so out of shape last year and was so average that I've really become disappointed in him. It seems, however, that many huddler's feel that he will have a bounce back year. I'm starting to lean toward him having a better season, but still not sure. I'd like to seem him run in preseason as well.

*smiling at David's clever and wise comment*

Rate them based on their possible scoring ability, then draft safe, especially in the critcal first round. It can help you or kill you. Any player can go down on any play, but always look at the odds.

Once you draft safely in the first few rounds, (talking redrafter leagues) you can then start taking what I call potential reaches.

:D

Willis scares me as well. He's got the talent and he could put up monster #'s over the course of the season....unless:

Opposing defenses key on him and make JP beat em through the air.

The loss of Jonas Jennings gets him killed.

Too many carries and abuse early leads to a big weardown in the second half.

I'd rather spend my first rounder on bit more of a guarantee.

Edited by Swampnuts

Lewis could also easilly be in my top five. With a projected improvement in the passing game, he should get fewer carries, but rarely face 8 in the box. Great upside.

847066[/snapback]

Agreed. I am not a Baltimore fan by any stretch, but after a year of healing up and training (in the pokey and out) Lewis could be primed for another strong campaign.