[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any strategy differences?

49erAddict-08

My league expanded this year from 12 teams to two conferences of 10 teams. It has been about seven years since I have drafted in a 10 team league. Has anyone who has participated in both noticed any strategy differences that I should be aware of while preparing for the draft.

All TD's 6 pts, 1/25 pass, 1/10 rush/rec, -2 pts int, -2 pts fumbles lost.

Starting lineups consist of 9 players:

1 QB

1 RB

3 WR

1 Flex (RB/WR)

1 TE

1 K

1 DEF

My league expanded this year from 12 teams to two conferences of 10 teams.  It has been about seven years since I have drafted in a 10 team league.  Has anyone who has participated in both noticed any strategy differences that I should be aware of while preparing for the draft.

All TD's 6 pts, 1/25 pass, 1/10 rush/rec, -2 pts int, -2 pts fumbles lost.

Starting lineups consist of 9 players:

1 QB

1 RB

3 WR

1 Flex (RB/WR)

1 TE

1 K

1 DEF

848771[/snapback]

The main difference, of course, is that the less teams = more stud players available. So loading up on 4 straight RBs at the expense of other positions makes much less sense. By round four, there will have been 6 less players taken and the shift backwards of those tier 3 RBs are still around (or farther).

The smaller the league, the more you need to acquire marquis players. There is better depth on the waiver wire, so I would typically want at least one or two top WR's, but know that they go much deeper in a smaller draft. Conversly, it makes top QB and TE a little more valuable to have as difference makers.

The main difference, of course, is that the less teams  = more stud players available. So loading up on 4 straight RBs at the expense of other positions makes much less sense. By round four, there will have been 6 less players taken and the shift backwards of those tier 3 RBs are still around (or farther).

The smaller the league, the more you need to acquire marquis players. There is better depth on the waiver wire, so I would typically want at least one or two top WR's, but know that they go much deeper in a smaller draft. Conversly, it makes top QB and TE a little more valuable to have as difference makers.

848790[/snapback]

In the 12 team league, I always drafted RB's in the first two rounds unless something extraordinary happened (like R. Moss falling to me in the mid-second round last year). Are you saying that in a 10-team draft I should be more open to drafting other positions with those top picks?

In the 12 team league, I always drafted RB's in the first two rounds unless something extraordinary happened (like R. Moss falling to me in the mid-second round last year).  Are you saying that in a 10-team draft I should be more open to drafting other positions with those top picks?

848852[/snapback]

The depth is spread out, obviously. But, let's say you end up taking a QB early (Manning(1)/Culpepper(2)/McNabb(3)), you will be seeing a better potential WR with your next pick, or a more solid #2 RB.

There really isn't any strategy that has proved more solid than RB/RB, regardless of the size of the league, unless you can snag the #1 at a QB/WR spot within those first two picks. JMO.

FWIW. I've been in a 10 team league since 1997 with the same dudes (more or less) and kept the drafts for every year. The twist in our league is that there is a no TE but a "Flex" postion which ends up being QBs cause there are proportionately more higher scoring QBs available than the #3 RBs and #3 WRs. That being said the average draft breakdown is as follows: 1st round 8 RBs & 2 QBs. 2nd round: 6 RBs, 2 QBs, & 2 WRs. 3rd round: 6 or 7 QBs, 2 or 3 RBs, & 1 or 2 WRs. 4th round: 2 or 3 QBs, 3 or 4 RBs, & 5 or 6 WRs. I think that this shows that in a 10 team league that you really have to shoot for best available player (for the most part).

Edited by Pancake

Also (this might be stating the obvious, but..) aside from # of teams, in a league that awards 6pts for ALL touchdowns, the top QBs get bumped up a little more than in a league where, e.g., rush/rec TDs are 6pts, and passing 4pts.

Edited by msaint