[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Travis Henry

spain

What's the deal with Travis Henry? After consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, there appears not to be too much interest in him. It would seem he's worth more than a third-round pick, but there are no takers. Why?

-- Ra

Travis Henry is a good running back on the market at a bad time.

I think there is interest in Henry, but not the sort that would allow the Buffalo Bills to receive a third-round pick or higher for him. There are two main factors working against the Bills and Henry.

One is that, given Henry's predictable angry response to being replaced by Willis McGahee as a starter last season, he is a headache for the Bills. No team is going to pay a premium, or even a semi-premium price, for another team's headache. Henry wants out, he is likely to become a locker-room cancer if he stays, and any team that might have an interest in acquiring him is going to wait for the Bills to release him -- provided they don't make a deal first.

Another reason the Bills are unlikely to get a good price for Henry is that several teams were able to address their need at running back from a draft that had an abundance of highly talented players at the position. Also, at least one other veteran running back with a higher profile, Shaun Alexander, is available. And there is a possibility that if Ricky Williams does the expected and rejoins the Miami Dolphins, he, too, could end up on the trade market.

Another reason the Bills are unlikely to get a good price for Henry is that several teams were able to address their need at running back from a draft that had an abundance of highly talented players at the position. Also, at least one other veteran running back with a higher profile, Shaun Alexander, is available. And there is a possibility that if Ricky Williams does the expected and rejoins the Miami Dolphins, he, too, could end up on the trade market.

850156[/snapback]

That's a load of cr*p. Henry's a top 10 RB, so don't tell me that teams couldn't use him.

That's a load of cr*p. Henry's a top 10 RB, so don't tell me that teams couldn't use him.

850160[/snapback]

Henry a top ten RB? That's hysterical. Henry is a mediocre back, below average in the NFL. He is strong, but not that fast and not that elusive. He was used ideally in Buffalo behind a great run blocking O-line. Even so twice his yards per carry was 3.5 or lower, and overall, it only averages out to 4.0 for his career. That is very average. The only reason he had good stats two of his years was because Buffalo had no better options and they kept feeding him the ball. Antowain Smith had good stats a few times in NE. That does not make him a good RB.

He's also only had 17 carries over 20 yards in his entire career.

He's just not that good.

Henry is tough--no question. He's played through a few nagging injuries and will get tough, inside yards. But I do agree that his speed is suspect. I think he is a late second round pick at the highest.

16 games in '02: 325 carries for 1438 yards, 13 TD's. 43 rec's for 309 yards, 1 TD.

15 games in '03: 331 carries for 1356 yards, 10 TD's. 28 Rec's for 158 yards, 1 TD.

Maybe I should have said he was a top 10 back and has the potential to be one again, but I think you get the picture. He runs hard, seems to be over his fumbling problem as he only fumbled 3 times in '03, and not once on 94 carries in '04.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

plus he cant hold onto the rock.  Id rather have A-train than henry.

850224[/snapback]

Well, that's just idiotic, but you'll pretty much latch onto anyone's sack that wears a Cowboys uniform, so I guess it's understandable.

:D

Henry is a perfect example of how someone can get good stats without being that good from a talent stand point. It is highly unlikely that he would end up in a situation that perfect for him again. If he was that good, folks would be more than willing to invest a 3rd rounder in him. The fact that they aren't should tell you something.

Henry is a perfect example of how someone can get good stats without being that good from a talent stand point.  It is highly unlikely that he would end up in a situation that perfect for him again.  If he was that good, folks would be more than willing to invest a 3rd rounder in him.  The fact that they aren't should tell you something.

850261[/snapback]

He runs hard, plays through injuries, and produces. What more do you want? Because he's not a snazzy or fancy runner you think he's not good? I guess you're not a Tom Brady fan either, I mean, talk about a product of his surroundings. :D :D

NOTE: Please don't turn this into a Tom Brady thread, it was a joke. :D

Henry is a perfect example of how someone can get good stats without being that good from a talent stand point.  It is highly unlikely that he would end up in a situation that perfect for him again.  If he was that good, folks would be more than willing to invest a 3rd rounder in him.  The fact that they aren't should tell you something.

850261[/snapback]

Just like Peerless Price. :D

In the right system Henry is definitely a top 10 RB. Regardless of system he is a top 20 RB. He isn't flashy, and he doesn't break long runs, but he is consistent and tought. How many times does he go down in the back field? I'd rather have him than Warrick Dunn, DeShaun Foster, Lee Suggs, Tatum Bell, Micheal Bennett, Lamont Jordan, Duce Staley, Kevin Barlow, and possibly Chris Brown. I might also take him over Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon and Priest Holmes due to age.

In the right system Henry is definitely a top 10 RB.  Regardless of system he is a top 20 RB.  He isn't flashy, and he doesn't break long runs, but he is consistent and tought.  How many times does he go down in the back field?  I'd rather have him than Warrick Dunn, DeShaun Foster, Lee Suggs, Tatum Bell, Micheal Bennett, Lamont Jordan, Duce Staley, Kevin Barlow, and possibly Chris Brown.  I might also take him over Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon and Priest Holmes due to age.

850291[/snapback]

I'd take rather have any player in that list before him if I were an NFL team. They all have more talent.

From the article, there are two main points IMO, and I've seen it over and over again on these boards and elsewhere.

1) He is a known problem for the Bills who could very well release him, so why pay a premium?

2) The market is full of talent at the RB position right now.

Those two factors don't add up to high trade value regardless of how you rate his talent and production.

If he was that good, folks would be more than willing to invest a 3rd rounder in him.  The fact that they aren't should tell you something.

850261[/snapback]

Nobody was/is willing in invest a 2nd in the Edge or Alexander. What does that tell you?

From the article, there are two main points IMO, and I've seen it over and over again on these boards and elsewhere.

1)  He is a known problem for the Bills who could very well release him, so why pay a premium?

2)  The market is full of talent at the RB position right now.

Those two factors don't add up to high trade value regardless of how you rate his talent and production.

850389[/snapback]

Thank you.

Nobody is "interested" in Henry right now because everyone is waiting to see how bad they can screw over the Bills to get him. Very simple.

that they would take up way too much space under the cap, and would be extremely difficult to resign.  That's what it tells me.

850417[/snapback]

And how is that different from Henry? He has been saying that he wants a 'big' contract as well. Why does the same situation translate to money for the above mentioned two, but to a lack of talent in Henry?

Agreed, but I cannot see them cut him.  Maybe they will part with him for a 4th or 5th.  He DOES have value to Buffalo - if only for that reason

850437[/snapback]

Which is why we are where we are.

I'm not involved in the debate over wether (sp?) or not Henry is any good, I'm just saying given what seems to me to be obvious from Buffalo's standpoint as well as other 31 teams' it really makes no sense for this situation to be anywhere else but where it is right now.

We should have some resolution by most of our drafts so that those who think Henry is overrated can pass on him allowing those who like him to feel they got a steal.

:grouphug:

Agreed, but I cannot see them cut him.  Maybe they will part with him for a 4th or 5th.  He DOES have value to Buffalo - if only for that reason

850437[/snapback]

The Titans were supposedly offering a 4th round pick, but the Bills are holding out for a 3rd rounder. No way do the Titans do that unless/until Chris Brown gets injured again. The Jaguars are also the other team prominently mentioned as a suitor for henry. I think Del Rio was offering a 4th or 5th rounder. I dont see anything happening until much closer to the regular season...

Wasn't the Cards a possible suiter as well?....until they got JJ Arington.

Before we got Dillon :D I was hoping the Pats would get him.

To those that know nothing about Henry - You are all very foolish to think he is not a good RB, or does not have the potential to be a top 10 RB. Im a long time Bills fan and Ill be the first to tell you he is a stud. As Hugh said, he runs hard, produces, and plays through injuries, and plays WELL through them.

He was hurt last year and thats why he did not play well when he did actually play.

Tom D. Knows exactly what he is doing. He will wait until a teams starting RB goes down and is desperate. We (the Bills) will get exactly what we want, and all those that say the Bills will get ripped off or whatever, will get proven wrong.

I dont care for Henry as a person because he went about his situation the wrong way. However, that doesnt mean he cannot play some football.

Plain and simple, he is a beast.

The fact that Travis played out the end of the 03 season on broken leg says I need to know about him. :D

I agree with Club, Buffalo will be anxious to trade him following or during training camp, because his holdout and no-show will become a distraction for the team. Their asking price will drop, and you will see a good number of teams have offers ready.

I think Travis would start immediatly in Jax, and the Jags would IR Fred if they had to.

Travis would NOT start over Chris Brown barring injury. I like Henry but he is not a runner of Brown's caliber. If Brown had been healthy last year and kept producing at the rate he was, he would be a top 5 pick this year.

My prediction is Henry to JAX during training camp.