[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NEW Coaching Changes Report

Rovers

Nice job by Bob Cunningham here.... http://www.thehuddle.com/x5/articles/bc-hb-coach-chg.php

When items like this are put up, I find them very helpful, indeed, and it does have a big impact on FF IMHO. A soild report. While I think the report is very helpful as always, some tool will point out where they disagree. I'm on board with 95% of what this update states, let me be the first tool to challenge some of the assessments. There are only two outlokks I would tend to differ with.

MIAMI DOLPHINS

New head coach -- Nick Saban

New offensive coordinator -- Scott Linehan

New defensive coordinator -- Richard Smith

Saban and outgoing coach Dave Wannstedt aren't that much different in terms of their basic philosophies for building a winner - each has stated publicly their belief that you have to be able to run the ball, and stop the run. But Saban, who enjoyed extensive success as head coach at LSU, is considered by most followers as more dynamic and imaginative. Linehan, who comes over from Minnesota, is accustomed to the mindset of creating big plays... a feature that's mostly been missing from the Miami attack in recent years. It remains to be seen if QB A.J. Feeley can be the big-play guy envisioned by these newcomers, but the selection of rookie RB Ronnie Brown with the second overall pick in the draft certainly epitomizes the desire to take the offense up several notches. Former Lions defensive coach Smith comes in knowing that he is in charge of a group that has enjoyed success in recent seasons, and that the unit has several leadership quality veterans like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor. Expect the Dolphins defense to essentially maintain the status quo

:D Miami has lost TONS of talent on defense, and many talented players. To say that there will be any sort of status quo maintained is way off the mark, in my opinion. The coaching change in and of itself is not an issue, but the dreadful losses of Knight, Surtain, Poole and DT Bowens, with the likely loss of DT Chester leaves the Miami defense in a VERY worrisome predicament.

My assessment of the Phins' defense, in greater detail is available in the IDP forum here:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=95059

The Dolphins just don't have any DT's. They are trying out guys like Holiday and Carter at the interior line positions, something that neither ofthese DE's are suited for. They have no NT for the proposed change to a 3-4, and Zach Thomas and Seau are not suited to this scheme at all. They took thier best DE and converted him to the ROLB spot. The Phins have great depth at DE, but don't have a DT or NT that would be any better than second on any other team's depth chart. They have Traveres Tillman at one of the safety spots, and he is a career backup/retread. After Poole went down, Howard is a starting CB.

Miami is about to burn a second round draft pick in the supplemental draft for Wright, a projected 4th or fifth rounder, and an underclassman, just to try to fill the hole at DT. They are scrambling to sign Law and or Shulters, neither of which they have the cap space for. The coaching may not lose a step, but the loss of quality playmakers means Miami may have one of the worst D's in the NFL this year.

The other item I have a hard time with is....

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

New offensive coordinator -- TBD

New defensive coordinator -- Eric Mangini

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... undoubtedly, that should be the credo for the two-time defending Super Bowl champs. Longtime OC Charlie Weis resigned to take over as head coach at Notre Dame, and head coach Bill Belichick has not as of yet named a successor. That might be because Belichick has only one guy in mind for the job -- Belichick. Also gone is the defensive coordinator of multiple title teams, Romeo Crennel, who is now the head coach at Cleveland. In his place, Belichick promoted secondary coach Mangini to coordinator. It should be a smooth transition, with Mangini undoubtedly maintaining most of the general schemes orchestrated the last four years. Retired boxer Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini could be the defensive coordinator, and the Patriots defense would still rank among the best.

The last time Belichick called O plays was in Cleveland. He got fired. I know coach B is the best, but to think losing Weiss and Crennel isn't going to hurt.... is nuts. Coordinators make and break teams. This is a gross underestimation of the loss of coaching expertise.

I'm not trying to flame what i think is a very good coaching update. I think it's a very good one indeed, but, as all rankings and evaluations go, there is bound to be a difference of opinion.... these two are mine, amounst what I think is otherwise a very good report.

Miami hasn't had the services of Tim Bowens for a couple of years. He played in 1 game last year. Yeah Surtain will be missed, but with the new no-contact rules in place, having a 1 on 1 cover guy is not so important anymore. Look how long it took the Dolphins to coax the Chiefs into taking him. There were no other suitors for Surtain either. Losing Knight is no big deal. Obviously you haven't watched too many Dolphin games. He was adequate in coverage but just horrible in run support. The biggest loss was Poole. He really looked good in dime and nickel situations last year and would of been the starter this year. I think the rooks Crowder and Roth could have an immeadiate impact especially in a 3-4 or whatever scheme they throw out there. The defense will be fine.

Edited by 'canes2004

Fine? With no NT or DT's to speak of, a starting safety that hasn't been a starter and has bounced around from team to team, along with a CB that couldn't start on any other NFL team? Hey, I understand homerism, but.... unless Miami gets more capable bodies, they are in deep chit. They are chasing both Law and Shulters, and are trying to sign them for dirt, because they have no cap room. That is why they will spend a 2nd round pick on a projected 4th or 5th round underclassman DT. They dont't have an NT for the 3-4, they don't have LB's suited to that scheme, and they don't have one, never mind 2 DT-s for the 4-3. Add in that they are trying to change schemes.... nope. They should be horrific this year on D.

Edited by Rovers

Do people think before they speak. Obviously not mr. "i have 4,500 posts i know what i'm talking about". First of all Miami should be ok on defense they won't plummet. They were a bit above par last year and should be par this year jsut because they lost a good cb and a decent safety.

Miami's DTS:

keith traylor who STARTED 10 GAMES FOR THE WORLD CHAMPION NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS AND IS STILL CONSIDERED A TRUE NOSE TACKLE!

larry chester who ALTHOUGH MISSED ALMOST ALL YEAR IS ONLY 28 AND STARTED FOR BOTH CAROLINA AND MIAMI IN HIS CAREER

jeff zgonia who had big year last year (63 tackles for a nose tackle is impressive so i 5 sacks)

who is the cb who can't start for any other team? oh is that the reggie howard who started for the nfc champion panthers a 2 years ago?

it would make more sense to do some research before screaming your head off from an ignorant standpoint

Channing Crowder should have been a midfirst round pick he should start from day 1 with seau and thomas