[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not another lame Brady vs Manning Thread

As the season draws near, I thought I get another Who's better debate started that didn't include Brady or Manning.

I want to know why Tomlinson has been crowned the #1 pick of the upcoming Fantasy year

I've been in a few Mocks, I've watched a few from the sidelines, and with the exception of 1 draft Tomlinson was picked first (the one draft that didn't pick Tomlinson, chose Manning).

Why?

If it's Rushing Yards, last year:

1. C. Martin-------1697

2. S. Alexander---1688

3. C. Dillon--------1635

4. E. James--------1548

5. T. Barber--------1518

6. R. Johnson------1457

7. L. Tomlinson----1335

Ok, throw out Martin and Tiki for being too old to repeat..... That still leaves Alexander, Dillon, James, and Johnson, all with more yardage.

And yes Tomlinson missed some playing time due to injury, is that a warning? Is he becoming Injury Prone? Wasn't some of the others also out?

Rushing TDs last year:

1. L. Tomlinson----17

2. S. Alexander----16

3. P. Holmes-------14 (Man talk about injury prone)

4. T. Barber--------13

Ok, Tomlinson has this one, but by 1 TD.

How about Passing Yards:

1. B. Westbrook--------703

2. D. Davis--------------596

3. T. Barber-------------578

4. E. James--------------483

5. L. Tomlinson----------427

Passing TDs:

1. B. Westbrook---------6

2. S. Alexander----------4

3. M. Pittman-------------3

All the rest were 3 and below.....

Throw out the old guys, and I would argue that Alexander should be the #1 Pick this year. In fact, If I get the 1st pick in any of my leagues this year, barring preseaon injury, I'm taking Alexander.

So, let the howling and catcalls begin, but back them up, or your just another lemming following the pack over that damm cliff.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

As the season draws near, I thought I get another Who's better debate started that didn't include Brady or Manning.

I want to know why Tomlinson has been crowned the #1 pick of the upcoming Fantasy year

I've been in a few Mocks, I've watched a few from the sidelines, and with the exception of 1 draft Tomlinson was picked first (the one draft that didn't pick Tomlinson, chose Manning).

Why?

If it's Rushing Yards, last year:

1. C. Martin-------1697

2. S. Alexander---1688

3. C. Dillon--------1635

4. E. James--------1548

5. T. Barber--------1518

6. R. Johnson------1457

7. L. Tomlinson----1335

Ok, throw out Martin and Tiki for being too old to repeat..... That still leaves Alexander, Dillon, James, and Johnson, all with more yardage.

And yes Tomlinson missed some playing time due to injury, is that a warning? Is he becoming Injury Prone? Wasn't some of the others also out?

Rushing TDs last year:

1. L. Tomlinson----17

2. S. Alexander----16

3. P. Holmes-------14  (Man talk about injury prone)

4. T. Barber--------13

Ok, Tomlinson has this one, but by 1 TD.

How about Passing Yards:

1. B. Westbrook--------703

2. D. Davis--------------596

3. T. Barber-------------578

4. E. James--------------483

5. L. Tomlinson----------427

Passing TDs:

1. B. Westbrook---------6

2. S. Alexander----------4

3. M. Pittman-------------3

All the rest were 3 and below.....

Throw out the old guys, and I would argue that Alexander should be the #1 Pick this year.  In fact, If I get the 1st pick in any of my leagues this year, barring preseaon injury, I'm taking Alexander.

So, let the howling and catcalls begin, but back them up, or your just another lemming following the pack over that damm cliff.

854091[/snapback]

I don't have any problem with you picking Alexander with the 1st pick. Other than the fact that he is unhappy and might go to a new team, he is a logical first choice. I like Tomlinson also. If I have the first or second pick this year, I'll be smiling either way.

The great thing about LT is that while he did have some nagging injuries last year, he played. You don't get that with a lot of guys.

He's got fewer miles on his knees than everyone but Johnson on that list.

He's clearly more dangerous in the open field than anyone else on that list. If he's fully healthy, he'll have more of those long runs with the way SDs passing game has developed. I see nothing but good things ahead for LT.

Take Alexander if you want, he's been rock solid over the last few years. As has been said, he's not happy and may be traded. SEA does have some talent behind him, so they'll let him go if the price is right.

Alexander is a solid pick in a draft, but I would always take LT as #1 this year. Not only is he young, durable and the focus of his offense, but LT has only played 4 years and never been worse than 6th best fantasy scorer. His finishes in the last four years using Huddle Scoring were 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd. Alexander has gone 4th, 5th, 6th, 1st.

Nothing wrong with either.

Careful. People read this stuff. Subterfuge is what we need here...

"Uh, attention, huddle people...I don't think anyone should take Nate Burleson or Jerry Porter 1 or 2. You could get them, like, 3 and 4."

That should hold them for a while. It's like we just put the two best picks on layaway. Sweet's the word--quick's the action.

Edited by Ruffian

Go ahead and take Alexander, but you better jump on Porter with your next pick.  He's gonna be good this year, or so I'm told. :D

854235[/snapback]

If Nate Burleson is still there at number two, do you take him?  :doah:

854238[/snapback]

Geez.....neither of you guys know what you're talking about....Ronald Curry is the obvious choice :D

Geez.....neither of you guys know what you're talking about....Ronald Curry is the obvious choice :D

854246[/snapback]

He's ready to break out. I can feel it.

Is it bad to trade my second, third, fourth and sixth round picks to get a second number one pick?

I could go Porter, Curry. One, two. BAM!

Man, that is one sweet attack. :D

Resist urge to post re Brady :D

I think you could flip a coin and be happy with either LT2 or Alexander. In my local redraft I have had the pleasure of owning both. But I won a title with LT2 and here is the key reason why.

LT2 can rush for 50 yards when SD stinks and still have 120 yds rec with 2 TD's. Alexander can rush for 5 TD's and then not score for two weeks. You absolutely will get top flight production out of him if you own him. But he has wild swings during the course of a season. That can be frustrating. Me, I take LT. I have the 4th pick in my draft and would of course be thrilled to land either. Am hoping for Edge. Love Priest, but probably cant make myself do it and would take Manning but after reading threads of wisdom here, it is clear that he isnt as good as Brady so I might as well wait to the 7th round for QB. :D

Resist urge to post re Brady  :D

I think you could flip a coin and be happy with either LT2 or Alexander.  In my local redraft I have had the pleasure of owning both.  But I won a title with LT2 and here is the key reason why.

LT2 can rush for 50 yards when SD stinks and still have 120 yds rec with 2 TD's.  Alexander can rush for 5 TD's and then not score for two weeks.  You absolutely will get top flight production out of him if you own him.  But he has wild swings during the course of a season.  That can be frustrating.  Me, I take LT.  I have the 4th pick in my draft and would of course be thrilled to land either.  Am hoping for Edge.  Love Priest, but probably cant make myself do it and would take Manning but after reading threads of wisdom here, it is clear that he isnt as good as Brady so I might as well wait to the 7th round for QB. :D

854251[/snapback]

:D

That's it, unless you're drafting using the: (I got this from nflcom)

The big-bang theory

This is one of my favorites. In this scenario, you pick up inconsistent players who are known for hitting it big one week, then tanking the next, then coming back big a few weeks later. Guys who fit this profile include Joe Horn, Clinton Portis, Deuce McAllister and Michael Vick. The idea is building a lineup full of players who are always capable of a home-run performance each week -- and some will one week and another will another week.

Pros: Unless all the players have an off week, you should have one or two scoring big while one or two slump. The balance should be enough to have a strong score most weeks.

Cons: If they all tank, you tank. There will be some bad weeks where no one scores more than eight points each, and if they come at the wrong time, there's no playoffs for you.

lol..ok Alexander is better than that, it's to bad he is disgruntled

Alexander can rush for 5 TD's and then not score for two weeks.  You absolutely will get top flight production out of him if you own him.  But he has wild swings during the course of a season.

854251[/snapback]

I have Alexander in a dynasty league. Alexander had one year like what you are describing, and that was three years ago. The last two years he has been EXTREMELY consistent on a week-to-week basis. And he never gets hurt.

Guest THEbigred
I have Alexander in a dynasty league.  Alexander had one year like what you are describing, and that was three years ago.  The last two years he has been EXTREMELY consistent on a week-to-week basis. 
On yards pretty much, but not on TDs he hasn't.

The gap between LT and Alexander isn't huge, but it isn't razor-thin either. LT is easily a better receiving threat and there's no "disgruntled" concerns. He is also more consistent, although not dramatically so.

And as DMD said, assuming the whiny Seahawk settles down, I would be happy with either.

I probably will pass on both though, as they will be too expensive in my auction league :D

I think LT is the clearcut choice--althouigh, as mentioned earler, Alexander's value is in his consistent play and his durability. I think the difference is the home run capability that LT offers--more than anyone else in the league right now, any play he makes could be good for six. Alexander has had huge days, and I like his style, but if it came down to it, I'm taking LT.

On yards pretty much, but not on TDs he hasn't.

854763[/snapback]

Oh really?

Week 01: 2 TD rush 1 TD rec. (twisted knee at end of game)

Week 02: 0 TD

Week 03: 2 TD rush 1 TD rec.

Week 05: 1 TD rush

Week 06: 1 TD rush

Week 07: 0 TD

Week 08: 1 TD rush 1 TD rec.

Week 09: 2 TD rush

Week 10: 0 TD

Week 11: 1 TD rush

Week 12: 0 TD

Week 13: 2 TD rush

Week 14: 1 TD rec

Week 15: 0 TD

Week 16: 3 TD rush

Week 17: 1 TD rush

So, only 5 scoreless weeks, one of which came off a nasty looking injury where I thought he blew his ACL. He was a definite bench that week. But he did end up playing in Week 2. Let's check '03:

Week 01: 1 TD rush 1 TD rec.

Week 02: 1 TD rush

Week 03: 0 TD

Week 05: 1 TD rush

Week 06: 0 TD

Week 07: 2 TD rush

Week 08: 1 TD rec.

Week 09: 1 TD rush

Week 10: 1 TD rush

Week 11: 1 TD rush

Week 12: 0 TD

Week 13: 1 TD rush.

Week 14: 1 TD rush

Week 15: 1 TD rush

Week 16: 2 TD rush

Week 17: 1 TD rush

Three scoreless games, one of which was against Baltimore.

That is 8 scoreless games in two years. Tomlinson had 6 scoreless games in that same time frame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating drafting Alexander over Tomlinson. I wouldn't. But from time to time I see people write that Shaun is a "feast or famine" fantasy producer when it comes to TD's. I assume that is written from people who had S.A. in '02 when he was very inconsistent. But since '03, he has been a very steady contributor.

Edited by CaptainHook

He's ready to break out. I can feel it.

Is it bad to trade my second,  third, fourth and sixth round picks to get a second number one pick?

I could go Porter, Curry. One, two. BAM!

Man, that is one sweet attack.  :D

854249[/snapback]

Yer calculations are very flawed as they leave Rod Gardner out of the mix. That oversight could be fatal to yer draft and whole season.

Yer calculations are very flawed as they leave Rod Gardner out of the mix. That oversight could be fatal to yer draft and whole season.

854922[/snapback]

I stand corrected--I should offer my 1,2,4 and 6 from this upcoming draft, and my 1 and 2 for next year's as well. I could get the big three--Burleson, Porter and Gardner--then make a dynamic week one trade for naming rights to my next born child to pull in Curry.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Edited by Ruffian

I stand corrected--I should offer my 1,2,4 and 6 from this upcoming draft, and my 1 and 2 for next year's as well. I could get the big three--Burleson, Porter and Gardner--then make a dynamic week one trade for naming rights to my next born child to pull in Curry.

I love it when a plan comes together.

854963[/snapback]

You are a master strategist and I applaud you.

You are a master strategist and I applaud you.

854985[/snapback]

It helps that I have BA, the Face and Murdoch. Oh, and a sweet black van with red racing stripes. But I digress.

The reason I have LT2 as #1 is the fact that he's been mr. consistent, mr reliable...all of the above...

He may...be wearing down...but his track record lacks the history...

I'd rather land Edge or Deuce a few picks down, honestly...

What sucks is this could actually be a pretty good debate if it weren't for all the other crap in the thread. :D

Anyway...I agree with what some of the others are saying. Alexander is definately a close 2nd, but two factors knock him down a little. He's disgruntled & he plays for Holmgrin who seems to want to make the passing game the focus rather than give the ball to his best player.